OFFS: The Forsakening

Dangerman

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Dangerman »

He really seems like a decent person. Lots of folks would relish the chance to twist the knife.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jennifer wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 03:32
Ha! Another followup: Christian Cooper, the birdwatcher Amy tried siccing the cops on, is refusing to cooperate with the DA's investigation.
The man at the center of the Central Park ‘Karen’ fiasco has said he will not cooperate with the Manhattan District Attorney’s investigation, according to a new report.

Christian Cooper, told the New York Times on Tuesday that Amy Cooper, 41, has suffered enough since the May encounter that destroyed her career and reputation.

Amy Cooper was charged on Monday with falsely reporting an incident in the third degree.

“On the one hand, she’s already paid a steep price,” Mr. Cooper, 57, told the paper, referring to the criminal charge. “That’s not enough of a deterrent to others?”

The avid birdwatcher added, “Bringing her more misery just seems like piling on.”

“So if the DA feels the need to pursue charges, he should pursue charges. But he can do that without me,” he said, adding that greater principles are at stake....
https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/birdwatch ... rVL82KKaks
That guy either already has a PR agent or he's significantly smarter than the average bear. Either way, that's exactly the right play.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Good on him
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Dangerman wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 11:31
He really seems like a decent person. Lots of folks would relish the chance to twist the knife.
Magnanimity. Who knew it existed in this day and age.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

FWIW -- given that almost all of us are various shades of mayonnaise-American (plus a couple token mayo-Canadians and -Commonwealthers) -- apparently there's a big controversy about it on Twitter, with C. Cooper catching much flak for letting A. Cooper slide -- I personally am staying the fuck out of it, same way I currently stay the fuck out of indoor venues crowded with bare-faced people, and strongly urge all of you to do the same.

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex »

Caren Cooper Complex
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jennifer wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 15:37
FWIW -- given that almost all of us are various shades of mayonnaise-American (plus a couple token mayo-Canadians and -Commonwealthers) -- apparently there's a big controversy about it on Twitter, with C. Cooper catching much flak for letting A. Cooper slide -- I personally am staying the fuck out of it, same way I currently stay the fuck out of indoor venues crowded with bare-faced people, and strongly urge all of you to do the same.

Give her her job back but have her spend a night in the pokey.

(well in this case just a hefty fine because COVID nobody should spend a night in the pokey if it's even kind of safe for them to be free)
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

But yeah C. Cooper needs to be able to choose whether to cooperate with prosecutors ever, because cooperating with prosecutors and/or cops is always fraught, because if they decide they don't like what you tell them they can start to make things nasty for you. Doubly so for a black man.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I think Amy Cooper should have to deal with the justice system for trying to exploit it to harm or kill someone. We know damn well it's unlikely that she'd serve any jail time; she'd have to deal with the courts and pay money to lawyers and in fines. She deserves that grief.

On the other hand, I respect Christian Cooper's opposition to that, especially since he's probably entirely aware that if things had gone down differently, she wouldn't be getting Twitter flack and he'd just be another name on signs at a protest.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

The Manhattan DA got some mileage from the charge but there's not much to be gained from an actual prosecution. My guess would be it will be kicked down to some misdemeanor public nuisance plea, if that. Furthermore, it's worth noting that in the vast majority of such cases even if and when the police do show up they don't gun down the black guy just because a white woman called 911. I mean, maybe in Mississippi but not in New York.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 17:23

Give her her job back but have her spend a night in the pokey.

(well in this case just a hefty fine because COVID nobody should spend a night in the pokey if it's even kind of safe for them to be free)
After seeing people so gleeful that Florida-Insurance-Costco-NoMask-Screamer guy got fired, I have been kinda wondering why unemployment has to be the go-to social sanction. If prisons weren't such wouldn't-wish-on-my-worst-enemy hellscapes, I'd almost rather see 3 days in the hoosegow for things like this but at least they haven't lost the ability to pay bills and taxes. Like, "we don't like this person, let's put them on the dole" doesn't seem like a great way to handle it.

I do think it's classy of the guy to be this way. But I also think falsely calling police should be taken *a lot* more seriously than it ever has been.
Last edited by dead_elvis on 08 Jul 2020, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

(deleted double post)
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 18:27
The Manhattan DA got some mileage from the charge but there's not much to be gained from an actual prosecution. My guess would be it will be kicked down to some misdemeanor public nuisance plea, if that. Furthermore, it's worth noting that in the vast majority of such cases even if and when the police do show up they don't gun down the black guy just because a white woman called 911. I mean, maybe in Mississippi but not in New York.
Sure, but she was definitely trying to get the guy at least arrested and possibly beaten or worse. The police don't always kill a black guy, but they're still a deadly weapon.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dhex

Post by dhex »

she's a real asshole.

that said, if that dude was white but filmed that interaction, in addition to her not being able to be a racist asshole, the story would be "CREEPY FUCK FILMS WOMEN WHILE HARASSING THEM"

what kind of ted bundy motherfucker keeps dog treats in their pockets? get the fuuuuuck outta here.

(full disclosure: i once threatened to kill someone's off leash dog when it lunged at my child. so i get his impulse. but also not because ted bundy dog treats pocket karen.)
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Also it's a cocker spaniel and they're the worst. I mean not Jack Russel the worst or chihuahua the worst or dachshund the worst but pretty much right after those.

Shem

Post by Shem »

dhex wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 21:19
that said, if that dude was white but filmed that interaction, in addition to her not being able to be a racist asshole, the story would be "CREEPY FUCK FILMS WOMEN WHILE HARASSING THEM"
If dude was white he probably both wouldn't have felt the need to film it because cops wouldn't reflexively disbelieve him, and wouldn't have had the cops called on him in the first place because Karen Lady wouldn't have been able to bank on them being her flying money brigade to take care of the "scary" Black man for her.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dhex

Post by dhex »

entirely likely, yes. or the filming would have happened in reverse because of the onus of fear.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Onus of Fear decent name for something. Metal band? Movie? I think I go movie because the pr0n rewrite seems really solid.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 12:52
Onus of Fear decent name for something. Metal band? Movie? I think I go movie because the pr0n rewrite seems really solid.
I'm not into slashers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote:
Feels more like a video game to me. Either a demon slayer blockbuster AAA that gets delayed several times or a deeply atmospheric indie that is critically acclaimed for its art direction and soundtrack but sucks to play.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex »

it's a book of poetry about my dick c'mon guys get with it

Shem

Post by Shem »

JasonL wrote:
James Bond movie.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Shem wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 13:33
JasonL wrote:
James Bond movie.
I think it sounds more Tom Clancy-esque.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 13:40
Shem wrote:
JasonL wrote:
James Bond movie.
Anus of Fear or Anus in Furs? The latter has the advantage of a literary allusion.

Shem

Post by Shem »

thoreau wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 13:40
Shem wrote:
JasonL wrote:
James Bond movie.
Quantum of Solace. Onus of Fear.

You're incorrect.