OFFS: The Forsakening

JasonL

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL »

We lost. The mob is having its way.
Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote: 28 May 2020, 20:05 We lost. The mob is having its way.
Fuck that.
I will literally die on this hill if needs be.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Shem

Post by Shem »

For what it's worth, the guy who had the police called on him is pretty ambivalent about the course things have been taking. He stops short of "leave her alone," but he does say "parts of this are overboard."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Shem wrote: 28 May 2020, 20:52 For what it's worth, the guy who had the police called on him is pretty ambivalent about the course things have been taking. He stops short of "leave her alone," but he does say "parts of this are overboard."
He seems like a generous and decent person.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Shem

Post by Shem »

Far more than I probably would have been. I suspect, based on what he said, that he finds the public shaming at least mostly appropriate, but stops short of wanting her fired from her job.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote: 28 May 2020, 20:56
Shem wrote: 28 May 2020, 20:52 For what it's worth, the guy who had the police called on him is pretty ambivalent about the course things have been taking. He stops short of "leave her alone," but he does say "parts of this are overboard."
He's a birdwatcher, ferchristsakes, and a black birdwatcher (as opposed to being a blackbird watcher), at that. That's pretty much the most passive hobby on Earth. He probably wears Birkenstocks and a Tilly hat.
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 28 May 2020, 21:02
He's a birdwatcher, ferchristsakes, and a black birdwatcher (as opposed to being a blackbird watcher), at that. That's pretty much the most passive hobby on Earth. He probably wears Birkenstocks and a Tilly hat.
Well he's certainly having a Big Year.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

"When I think about the police, I'm such a blessed person. I've come to realize especially today that I think of [the police] as a protection agency, and unfortunately, this has caused me to realize that there are so many people in this country that don't have that luxury,"
She should've been fired just for saying, "I'm such a blessed person"

She doesn't think of them as a protection agency, she thinks of them as her own personal brute squad, and while that would be factually correct, it's morally corrupt.

The dog in question is a cocker spaniel. I wouldn't say it shouldn't be in public off-leash, so much as it shouldn't be in public. A good one is a sweetiepie, but a mediocre one is a bitey asshole. Bad ones are unpredictable rage machines.

I wouldn't be upset if someone who so clearly and provably calls the cops out of vindictiveness rather than actual fear had to spend a week in the pokey.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote: 28 May 2020, 11:31
JasonL wrote: 28 May 2020, 09:49 but I also disagree with the take that no white person should ever dial 911 unless they want a dead minority in their hands.
Is anybody here arguing that?
Wait, are we no longer saying, "Never call the cops unless you want someone dead," anymore? I kinda thought that was the general consensus on the Gryll. I mean, not a dead minority specifically, and not white people specifically, just no person should call the cops unless shit is so bad that the risk of an accidental/unprovoked/unnecessary shooting is an acceptable trade-off.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Tilly hats are great.

Never tried Birks, but do have a pair of Tevas.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
Shem

Post by Shem »

lunchstealer wrote: 29 May 2020, 02:26 Wait, are we no longer saying, "Never call the cops unless you want someone dead," anymore? I kinda thought that was the general consensus on the Gryll. I mean, not a dead minority specifically, and not white people specifically, just no person should call the cops unless shit is so bad that the risk of an accidental/unprovoked/unnecessary shooting is an acceptable trade-off.
The former isn't really the same thing as the latter.
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

I mean, in the video, Christian said "please call them", and "thank you", so I find it hard to argue that *he* felt that his life was in danger from the cops.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jasper wrote: 29 May 2020, 10:53
Tilly hats are great.

Never tried Birks, but do have a pair of Tevas.
I once bought a pair of birks but that turned out to be a failed experiment. Still have my 1994-vintage Tevas. Walked the length of La Desirade (cool outcrop of pillow lavas there which have been geochemically traced to the Pacific mid ocean ridge) on the beach in those things with nary a blister. No Tilley hat but a kick-ass bucket hat embroidered with the logo of the local soaring club (identical to the one pictured below - but no grandpa jeans, my dad jeans are more 2010 than 1990).

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Tevas make sense as beach sandals. Tilly shaped hats are fine; paying for the label and the "lifetime warranty" is silly when there are equally good hats almost identical for a third of the price.
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Tilley has replaced my hat twice in 10 years (once because it was lost) and imo the quality is worth it.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Dangerman wrote: 29 May 2020, 15:44 Tilley has replaced my hat twice in 10 years (once because it was lost) and imo the quality is worth it.
Fair enough. Dick Cavett is a big fan of Tilly hats, too, which is how I heard about them in the first place, then I saw them for sale in a rather upscale outdoor equipment and clothing store and gasped at the price, but to each his own.
Shem

Post by Shem »

I wish I looked halfway decent in hats. The only style I can wear is a Homburg, and then I just feel like I'm cosplaying Winston Churchill.
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

I paid $70 for my T1, which is a lot less than I've spent on clothing that had been less useful for less time. I don't know what they're priced at these days.
Highway

Post by Highway »

I've worn Birkenstocks for at least a decade. Had a pair resoled. They're not all I wear, but I like them, especially for quick trips out of the house.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Very minor OFFS, but it made me wonder when I saw it on a thread: (Not here or H&R)
Last I checked, Mexico is in South America
🤦‍♂️
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Aresen wrote: 30 May 2020, 16:48 Very minor OFFS, but it made me wonder when I saw it on a thread: (Not here or H&R)
Last I checked, Mexico is in South America
🤦‍♂️
Maybe they moved it?
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Or maybe, last he checked, he was holding the atlas upside-down?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote: 30 May 2020, 18:11 Or maybe, last he checked, he was holding the atlas upside-down?
Maybe one of the three Mexican countries is in South America?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote: 27 May 2020, 17:47 I have no doubt that right now, [Amy Cooper] wishes like anything she could go back to that morning and either put her dog on a leash, or walk away and say nothing after CC spoke to her -- but her upset-ness basically boils down to "If anyone's life was ruined over that phone call I made, it was supposed to be HIS life, not MINE."
She's now facing a misdemeanor criminal charge of filing a false police report.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/amy-c ... r-BB16p8UI
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ha! Another followup: Christian Cooper, the birdwatcher Amy tried siccing the cops on, is refusing to cooperate with the DA's investigation.
The man at the center of the Central Park ‘Karen’ fiasco has said he will not cooperate with the Manhattan District Attorney’s investigation, according to a new report.

Christian Cooper, told the New York Times on Tuesday that Amy Cooper, 41, has suffered enough since the May encounter that destroyed her career and reputation.

Amy Cooper was charged on Monday with falsely reporting an incident in the third degree.

“On the one hand, she’s already paid a steep price,” Mr. Cooper, 57, told the paper, referring to the criminal charge. “That’s not enough of a deterrent to others?”

The avid birdwatcher added, “Bringing her more misery just seems like piling on.”

“So if the DA feels the need to pursue charges, he should pursue charges. But he can do that without me,” he said, adding that greater principles are at stake....
https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/birdwatch ... rVL82KKaks