OFFS: The Forsakening

thoreau

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by thoreau »

Warren wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 14:29
Does that mean a Mexican Agent can shoot US Border Patrol Agents?
Of course not. We are in charge and they aren't.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Yeah I don't understand the 100 mile 4th amendment exclusion zone or any number of things about anti immigrant animus. All I know is people like it and that's why we have it.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

The problem is that this is all Congress's fault. Unless/until Congress passes a law abrogating sovereign immunity so that federal agents can be sued, this is what we end up with.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I dunno about the wisdom or practicality of this particular ruling, but damn it's a monstrous result that needs to be addressed.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Look, you can't have even a half-assed police state if the masses can go off and hold the cops accountable in court.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 11:41
Look, you can't have even a half-assed police state if the masses can go off and hold the cops accountable in court.
Assless police state works for me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dead_elvis wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 11:32
I dunno about the wisdom or practicality of this particular ruling, but damn it's a monstrous result that needs to be addressed.
Hopefully before the response is a round crossing the border from the South and stopping inside a border cop's head. Not because I'd weep for them, but because the fallout would get ugly, since this country would never leave it at turnabout being fair play.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Eric the .5b wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 07:48
dead_elvis wrote:
Hopefully before the response is a round crossing the border from the South and stopping inside a border cop's head. Not because I'd weep for them, but because the fallout would get ugly, since this country would never leave it at turnabout being fair play.
Unfortunately, the kind of yahoos that sign up for the USBPS are not the sort to travel abroad. Otherwise, Mexico could simply issue a warrant for the agent's arrest and wait for him to travel to a third country they have an extradition treaty with.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Eric the .5b wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 07:48
dead_elvis wrote:
Mexico will welcome us with open arms as liberators, as we bring them democracy and establish a credible deterrent against aggression.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:53
Unfortunately, the kind of yahoos that sign up for the USBPS are not the sort to travel abroad.
And by "travel abroad", you mean leave Texas.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Warren wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:57
Aresen wrote:
Unfortunately, the kind of yahoos that sign up for the USBPS are not the sort to travel abroad.
Nevermind "abroad", most never leave Texas.
Some of them have taken day trips to Austin.
--D.A. Ridgely

Mo

Post by Mo »

Corpus Christi is foreign, right? Look at the name.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:58
Warren wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:57
Aresen wrote:
Nevermind "abroad", most never leave Texas.
Some of them have taken day trips to Austin.
Parts of Austin are in Texas. Take the State Capitol, for example. Also, recent polls indicate a majority of the bats living under the Congress Avenue Bridge are Republicans.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Why are liberals jizzing themselves over a video by George W. Bush? He's a mass murderer who deserves to be publicly flogged to the point of severe bleeding on a daily basis. He played to ignorance and jingoism and had the fiscal sensibility of a gambling addict with a pocket full of cash and a free bus ticket to Vegas.

But all you have to do is use some touching words and liberals will jizz themselves. They're as stupid as the MAGAstanis.
--D.A. Ridgely

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

All you have to do is be not trump. A while ago all you had to be was not W.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Trump is bad enough that Bush actually does look good by comparison. (For all the ways he and his appointees totally fucked the Katrina response, for example, he sure as hell never gave any press conferences saying "Heckuva job, Brownie, and don't bother helping New Orleans unless their mayor starts being nice to me." And after 9/11, he did not refuse to help New York City because they didn't vote for him anyway--but he did give a speech explicitly saying that we were NOT at war with "Muslims" or "Islam.")
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I don't feel like Ronald Reagan has gotten rehabbed even in the age of Trump. (Same with Margaret Thatcher.)
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Possibly because far fewer people have personal memories of the Reagan/Thatcher years -- especially memories of being old enough to actually follow and understand politics.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Another possibility just occurred to me: I don't know about Thatcher's Britain, but Reagan IIRC never presided over any disasters equivalent to 9/11 and Katrina or a deadly worldwide pandemic, so there's no basis for comparison: "Look how badly Trump is handling this compared to Reagan."

Shem

Post by Shem »

Ellie wrote:
03 May 2020, 20:25
I don't feel like Ronald Reagan has gotten rehabbed even in the age of Trump. (Same with Margaret Thatcher.)
Well after the Republican party spent 20 years jacking off over his corpse, can you blame people for not wanting to touch it? That's how you get antibiotic resistant super-gonorrhea.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote:
04 May 2020, 01:30
Ellie wrote:
03 May 2020, 20:25
Well after the Republican party spent 20 years jacking off over his corpse, can you blame people for not wanting to touch it? That's how you get antibiotic resistant super-gonorrhea.
Yeah, the GOP dropped Bush like a thing you drop quickly the second he was out of office, whereas Reagan yeah the wankfest. So there's relatively little current kulturkampf over Bush. Also Reagan immediately went into seclusion suffering from dementia while Bush painted dogs and his friends and the ghost of the dead Iraqi child who follows him everywhere. Painting badly and issuing the occasional presidential-sounding non-partisan statement is exactly the right combination for a general feel-good fest.

Add that to the current center-to-left wonkosphere's horror at Trump's flouting of norms and a normie like Dubya is a cool groove. To what extent is the current reaction focused in the center-left anyway, who weren't nearly so down on Dubya from the get-go. I mean they didn't like him, but they were also the ones who voted for or supported people who voted for the Iraq AUMF and so forth, so they never had the mass-murderer thing for Bush that the hard left (and hard anti-war libertarians) had for him.

Thatcher I'm less clear on, but my guess is that there's some systemic misogyny making her judged as a bitch for stuff that would just be wrong for a dude, but with both Reagan and Thatcher they were seen as a sea-change in government, while Dubya just kind of muddled through without making a massive change in either the GOP, government, or much of anything, and Afghanistan and Iraq and USA-PATRIOT were reactions to 9/11 and frankly a lot of people even on the far left are going to be more forgiving of overreactions to a crazy event than they are to someone who revolutionizes things in a way that they hate.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote:
03 May 2020, 20:13
Trump is bad enough that Bush actually does look good by comparison.
Building on this: Bush releases a video urging Americans to set aside partisanship to fight the coronavirus; Trump responds with intense whining that Bush didn't come to his defense during his impeachment.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump ... 10432.html

Shem

Post by Shem »

The average American response to Margaret Thatcher would be "who the fuck is Margaret Thatcher?"

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Shem wrote:
04 May 2020, 16:23
The average American response to Margaret Thatcher would be "who the fuck is Margaret Thatcher?"
"The girl in 'Tom Sawyer'?"

Shem

Post by Shem »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
04 May 2020, 16:27
Shem wrote:
04 May 2020, 16:23
"The girl in 'Tom Sawyer'?"
I almost went with that, but realistically, Tom Sawyer would prompt a depressing number of people to say "you mean the song by the drummer they name checked in Family Guy?"