OFFS: The Forsakening

Ellie

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Ellie »

That teenager should have had a birthday party theme of "Jonathan and David." Absolutely nothing gay about that!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jasper wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 08:56
My wife is a PhD biologist, libertarian-feminist, non-believer, and chair of the science department at her girls-only Catholic high school. She's also an alum.

Who wouldn't want their daughters being taught by her? Oh, I know. State bureaucrats and the public teachers' union since she doesn't have a degree in child education, and is therefore unqualified to teach science in the public school system.
This is my biggest beef with public schools and is especially true here in Canada. Teachers are required to take endless courses in Educational Psychology etc., but there is very little requirement to have actual knowledge of the subject they are teaching - with the exception that speaking a language is required of those who are going to teach it.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

OFFS:
Certain owners of these bars have also chosen to take their Old Style signs down. The signs are old, and some of them are rickety and constitute a safety hazard. Owners might also want to avoid fees the city charges for signs that hang over the sidewalk.
I mean, I expect a certain amount of "cost of doing business" above-board-style corruption given it's Chicago, but I simply can't imagine any rationale besides FYTW for this fee.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dead_elvis wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 19:19
OFFS:
Certain owners of these bars have also chosen to take their Old Style signs down. The signs are old, and some of them are rickety and constitute a safety hazard. Owners might also want to avoid fees the city charges for signs that hang over the sidewalk.
I mean, I expect a certain amount of "cost of doing business" above-board-style corruption given it's Chicago, but I simply can't imagine any rationale besides FYTW for this fee.
Forget it dead_elvis, it's Chi-Town.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

From the DMV website.
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 4.45.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 4.45.30 PM.png (464.45 KiB) Viewed 813 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Fuck it. I'm cheering for the tumor.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -the-union
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

thoreau wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 00:07
Fuck it. I'm cheering for the tumor.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -the-union
Did they provide the Congresscritters with barf bags?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Illinois gas station law would prohibit drivers from pumping their own gas
CHICAGO (WLS) -- An Illinois lawmaker wants to ban drivers from pumping their own gas. She says it's a safety issue, but not all drivers are on-board with the plan.

Milito's on Fullerton Avenue is one of the last remaining full service gas stations in the city.

"I am always busy running around, and especially winter in Chicago it's the best," said Sandra Lopez, driver.

And it could be the law of the land if a proposed bill sponsored by State Rep. Camille Lilly of Oak Park, which calls for banning motorists from pumping their own gas becomes law.

"Pump the gas, check the fluids and the tires and all that. Full service," said Rafael Mendez, Milito gas station attendant.

House Bill 4571 would create the Gas Station Attendant Act, which states "no gas may be pumped at a gas station in Illinois unless it is pumped by a gas station attendant."

Highway

Post by Highway »

I wonder what actually got up her bonnet about pumping gas. Cause it is definitely not "safety". The schlubs that work as gas pumpers show the least care possible, pouring gas all down the side of the car, dripping all across the apron, blech.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Highway wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 12:53
I wonder what actually got up her bonnet about pumping gas. Cause it is definitely not "safety". The schlubs that work as gas pumpers show the least care possible, pouring gas all down the side of the car, dripping all across the apron, blech.
A briefcase full of non-consecutive bills from the local fuel station industry association and/or the local chapter of the SEIU. This is Illinois after all.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I saw that on Reason; according to them, this dipshit has also said the bill would create new jobs. (Shitty useless makework jobs, but jobs nonetheless).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Shem

Post by Shem »

Hugh Akston wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 12:57
Highway wrote:
A briefcase full of non-consecutive bills from the local fuel station industry association and/or the local chapter of the SEIU. This is Illinois after all.
More realistically, it was probably a visit to New Jersey or Oregon leading to "oh, this is so wonderful!" thoughts.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

nicole

Post by nicole »

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Another article I saw said something about 5,000 gas station fires between 2014 and 2018, but gave no stats on whether they occurred in self serve or full serve stations.

I wonder if there is a breakdown on that and whether there is any significant statistical difference.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 12:22
Last night she was all "oops!"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
Camille Lily wrote:We’re having an increase in fires at gas stations around the country.
Naturally there is no evidence to support this claim. The most recent report by the National Fire Prevention Association shows a downward trend in fires at mercantile buildings since the 80s.

Highway

Post by Highway »

"But I saw a couple on the news!"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD »

nicole wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 12:22
Last night she was all "oops!"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
I really wonder what it is with politicians. "Sure, I proposed the two cent plutonium tax, but it was never my intent to have a two cent plutonium tax!"

Also, she is just wrong about this on several levels:
“I really believe, as we move forward in our economy and society, things often change,” Lilly said. “That’s how we got self-service. We thought that would be a discount for everyone pumping their own gas. Gas has been going up ever since.”
Gas prices have not been going up ever since: the first self-service gas station was in 1947 (and did in fact charge five cents per gallon less than competitors) and prices fell fairly steadily until about 1980; since then the price has been pretty volatile, but that's because the refiners' wholesale prices have been volatile. Individual gas stations make very little profit on gasoline:"After credit card fees and other operating costs, net profit for gasoline sales averages 3 cents a gallon, according the National Association of Convenience Stores."
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Shem wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 11:22
Hugh Akston wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 12:57
Highway wrote:
More realistically, it was probably a visit to New Jersey or Oregon leading to "oh, this is so wonderful!" thoughts.
She must not have gotten a taste of sit there in the heat waiting in line for the one kid who is servicing 6 cars. There are times when I could be done and on my way by the time the kid even comes and says hello. Not sure how anyone views this as a convenience as opposed to an inconvenience.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Also the idea of anyone saying 'this is great' about anything in New Jersey strains credulity.

JD

Post by JD »

Hugh Akston wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 14:51
Also the idea of anyone saying 'this is great' about anything in New Jersey strains credulity.
Other than maybe "there is a great deal of crime in Newark".
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

nicole

Post by nicole »

Hugh Akston wrote:
Counterpoint: sarcasm
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 15:19
Hugh Akston wrote:
conceded

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 15:24
nicole wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 15:19
Hugh Akston wrote:
conceded
The Boss does not endorse your sentiment.
What?... Hold on a sec.
Correction: The Boss totally endorses your sentiment.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT