OFFS: The Forsakening

D.A. Ridgely

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Oct 2019, 15:54

Warren wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 15:37
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 23:03
Yes, Utah is every bit that fucked up. Worse yet, though Shem's suspicions may well be true, it's not anywhere close to the only state that fucked up.
No, but I think it's uniquely fucked up.
I would not disagree with that observation.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Oct 2019, 15:54

Warren wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 15:37
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 23:03
Yes, Utah is every bit that fucked up. Worse yet, though Shem's suspicions may well be true, it's not anywhere close to the only state that fucked up.
No, but I think it's uniquely fucked up.
This. Like, there's plenty of states with fucked-up views about alcohol, but I don't know of any other state with laws similar to Utah's old "Zion curtains": basically, for places where it was legal to serve mixed drinks, it was NOT legal for the bartender to mix them in sight of customers -- the activity had to be hidden behind a barrier so nobody could see. (Even if you accept the idea "There's something inherently sinful or problematic about mixed alcoholic beverages," WTF is the rationale for thinking the badness will be mitigated somehow if you can't see what your bartender is doing? That would be like "fighting the obesity epidemic" by saying "Okay, places like Subway, Moe's Southwest Grill and Blaze Pizza can still sell their exact same made-to-order menus ... but the customers are no longer allowed to see the workers actually assemble their sandwiches, fajitas or pizzas. Such sinful activities MUST be hidden behind a curtain.")
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Oct 2019, 18:23

Parliament, but with apes instead of people! Wow, Banksy is so edgy and thoughtful.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Oct 2019, 19:50

Mo wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 18:23
Parliament, but with apes instead of people! Wow, Banksy is so edgy and thoughtful.
Like you ever made anything someone would pay 12 megabucks for. :P
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Oct 2019, 19:59

Warren wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 19:50
Mo wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 18:23
Like you ever made anything someone would pay 12 megabucks for. :P
That's the argument to the purse fallacy, isn't it? After all, whether people would pay for it has no bearing on whether it's edgy or thoughtful or any particular measure. People buy Jon McNaughton's paintings.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Oct 2019, 23:42

Fuck.

'KILL THE GAYS' BILL REVIVED BY UGANDAN GOVERNMENT WOULD IMPOSE DEATH PENALTY ON LGBTQ COMMUNITY
The Ugandan government announced its plan to reintroduce a bill that would criminalize homosexuality with the death penalty.

The bill—colloquially known as "Kill the Gays" in Uganda—was nullified by the constitutional court in 2014 on a technicality, but the government said it plans to resurrect the bill within weeks.

"Homosexuality is not natural to Ugandans, but there has been a massive recruitment by gay people in schools, and especially among the youth, where they are promoting the falsehood that people are born like that," Ethics and Integrity Minister Simon Lokodo told Reuters.

He went on to say that the current penal law is "limited," making it clear that anyone involved in "promotion and recruitment" will be criminalized.

"Those that do grave acts will be given the death sentence," he said.

Lokodo also said the bill is supported by President Yoweri Museveni. It will be re-introduced in parliament in the coming weeks. He expects a vote to take place before the end of the year.

Uganda faced widespread international condemnation when the previous bill was signed off by Museveni in 2014.

Brian Wasswa, a Ugandan LGBTQ activist, recently died on October 5 after he was attacked at his home in Jinja, a city on Lake Victoria that is roughly two hours east of the country's capital of Kampala.

Pepe Julian Onziema from Sexual Minorities Uganda, an alliance of LGBTQ organisations, said its members were fearful.

"When the law was introduced last time, it whipped up homophobic sentiment and hate crimes," said Onziema.

Onziema said three gay men and one transgender woman had been killed in homophobic attacks in Uganda this year.

"Violence against us has escalated in recent months, countless community members have fled, and I fear it will only get worse," said Kasha Jacquelin Nabagesera, founder of the Uganda LGBT Community, an advocacy group.

"We urgently need support from the international community if we are to stand up against the witch hunt being launched against us."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 25 Oct 2019, 11:51

During its semi-annual "National Prescription Drug Take Back Day" the DEA is also collecting vaping devices, because VAPING R BAD, I guess.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Oct 2019, 00:36

I mean, we could just not have a DEA tomorrow.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Oct 2019, 11:23

How?

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Oct 2019, 14:12

JasonL wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 11:23
How?
I took a license, sry. I'm saying that everything the DEA does, shouldn't be done. That there's not anything we'd have to have some other agency pick up the slack on if we just turned off the lights and closed the doors.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Oct 2019, 16:23

Warren wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 14:12
JasonL wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 11:23
How?
I took a license, sry. I'm saying that everything the DEA does, shouldn't be done. That there's not anything we'd have to have some other agency pick up the slack on if we just turned off the lights and closed the doors.
Turning off the lights and closing the doors is resisting. Stop resisting.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

JD

Post by JD » 14 Nov 2019, 10:06

There was this incident in NYC a few days ago where the cops handcuffed this woman who was selling churros in the subway. Vending in the subway is technically illegal, but it's like jaywalking, one of those things that's technically illegal but you pretty much never see anyone get in trouble for, particularly if it's a little old lady selling churros who's been there for years. So there's been an uproar about the way the police handled it.

That's not the OFFS part. The OFFS part is the response of the NYC Public Advocate, Jumaane Williams, who said "To the folks who keep pushing back and speaking about how she had 10 summonses and she was doing something illegal: Just shut up."
Yeah, that's his response to people who disagree with him: "Shut up." How eloquent and responsive to the community. A regular Abraham Lincoln here.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Nov 2019, 10:23

I hope all the people complaining about congestion in the subway are also planning to arrest everyone who walks around slowly staring at their phones. Bonus points for doing it as you walk up the stairs.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Nov 2019, 11:19

No one is complaining about congestion in the subway.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Nov 2019, 11:31

I mean, in real life pretty much everyone is.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Nov 2019, 11:37

I'll have to take your word on that, but congestion has nothing to do with the Churro Lady, and the people complaining are complaining about her harassment by the cops.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Nov 2019, 11:51

nicole wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 10:23
I hope all the people complaining about congestion in the subway are also planning to arrest everyone who walks around slowly staring at their phones. Bonus points for doing it as you walk up the stairs.
Can't you just push them onto the track?

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Nov 2019, 13:34

Aresen wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 11:51
nicole wrote:
Can't you just push them onto the track?
Cattle prod. Use the right tool for the job.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Shem

Post by Shem » 14 Nov 2019, 16:08

nicole wrote:
Are you also irked about people who make throwaway comments about the weather without donating money so Elon Musk can make a weather machine to take over Oaxaca and corner the world's supply of salvia?

Wait, don't bother to answer, that sounds right up your alley.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Nov 2019, 19:20

JD wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 10:06
That's not the OFFS part. The OFFS part is the response of the NYC Public Advocate, Jumaane Williams, who said "To the folks who keep pushing back and speaking about how she had 10 summonses and she was doing something illegal: Just shut up."
Yeah, that's his response to people who disagree with him: "Shut up." How eloquent and responsive to the community. A regular Abraham Lincoln here.
"Just fuck off and die." was probably deemed too impolitic.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2019, 10:00

Shem wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 16:08
nicole wrote:
Are you also irked about people who make throwaway comments about the weather without donating money so Elon Musk can make a weather machine to take over Oaxaca and corner the world's supply of salvia?

Bwah? I don't do public transportation, but nicole's objection strikes me as reasonable and apt.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 15 Nov 2019, 10:02

Warren wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 10:00
Shem wrote:
nicole wrote:

Bwah? I don't do public transportation, but nicole's objection strikes me as reasonable and apt.
I don't understand the "apt" part, because nobody was talking about congestion in the subway, so nicole's comment kind of seemed to come out of nowhere.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2019, 10:20

JD wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 10:02
Warren wrote:
Shem wrote:
nicole wrote:

I don't understand the "apt" part, because nobody was talking about congestion in the subway, so nicole's comment kind of seemed to come out of nowhere.
Fair enough. I just meant that moseying up the stairs is apt if you were talking about congestion.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Nov 2019, 12:10

JD wrote:
Warren wrote:
Shem wrote:
nicole wrote:

A bunch of people trying to justify the arrest of the churro lady, including Bill DeBlasio, have talked about congestion in the subway.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Nov 2019, 12:34

nicole wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 12:10
JD wrote:
Warren wrote:
Shem wrote:
nicole wrote:

A bunch of people trying to justify the arrest of the churro lady, including Bill DeBlasio, have talked about congestion in the subway.
Right, but the reason she was arrested, and the reason subway vending is illegal in the first place, is that she was making money without giving the mob their cut.