OFFS: The Forsakening

Jennifer

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Jennifer »

NJ councilwoman says "Jew down" not a hateful term, but a verb for negotiating

The president of a Trenton, New Jersey, council earlier this month said her city's assistant attorney was able to get the most out of a personal injury claim against the city, as they settled at a lower amount because they were "able to wait her out and Jew her down."

Trenton City Council President Kathy McBride made the remarks during an executive session of the council on September 5, and later told the New Jersey Globe she could not elaborate on using the term because of laws that pertain to closed sessions.

"I am not at privilege to speak about anything at executive session per the law that governs executive sessions," McBride said. "It was an executive session and by the law I am not privy to speak on that per the law."

When later pressed to answer if she used derogatory marks in the closed session, she said she would not comment on "hypotheticals."

Then last weekend, councilwoman Robin Vaughn from Trenton's West Ward made remarks that showed support for McBride, saying the term "Jew down" was a verb meaning to negotiate fiercely, and in no way a hateful term.

"We really need to get a more acute meaning and understanding of 'anti-Semitic.' I believe her comment 'Jew down' was more in reference to negotiating, not 'I hate Jews,'" Vaughn said in a New Jersey Globe report published Sunday. "Inappropriate in today's PC culture absolutely, but to Jew someone down is a verb and is not anti-anything or indicative of hating Jewish people."....
https://www.newsweek.com/nj-councilwoma ... V5-U39JnsI
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD »

Jennifer wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 20:30
NJ councilwoman says "Jew down" not a hateful term, but a verb for negotiating

The president of a Trenton, New Jersey, council earlier this month said her city's assistant attorney was able to get the most out of a personal injury claim against the city, as they settled at a lower amount because they were "able to wait her out and Jew her down."
Someone should have warned her not to monkey up the session.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Elsewhere, someone responds to learning about the Storm Area 51 news-of-the-weird coverage with:
Oh, so this is a right-wing op to distract from the global climate strike, also occurring today.

Cool, cool.
(I am pleased to see that it ended up pretty much exactly as I expected—a couple thousand people partying in the desert. Only more organized, because that lady who runs the Little A'Le'Inn is on the ball, if perhaps high as balls.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Is there any creature on the planet more entitled than a Kennedy?

Rep. Joe Kennedy kicks off primary challenge against Sen. Ed Markey
Democratic Rep. Joe Kennedy III of Massachusetts has announced a run for Senate on Saturday morning at the East Boston Social Center, challenging Democratic Sen. Ed Markey, who has served in Congress for more than 40 years.

"We have a Senate that instead of trying to harness the opportunity and potential of every person in this country, they're trying to pull us back," Kennedy said Saturday in announcing his run. "And I'm running for the United States Senate to tear that down, to fight back with everything we've got."

In recent weeks, Kennedy, 38, has sought to draw a generational contrast with Markey, 73, while benefiting from the goodwill shown for the generations of Kennedys who have represented the state before him.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 23:28
(I am pleased to see that it ended up pretty much exactly as I expected—a couple thousand people partying in the desert. Only more organized, because that lady who runs the Little A'Le'Inn is on the ball, if perhaps high as balls.)
Good for her. It can't be easy making money in Rachel, Nevada. I believe that "inn" has changed hands many times because of that reason.

Also, the note that some people managed to make it 3 miles past the fence before getting arrested is amusing. They only had 17 miles of desert to go to reach anything interesting...
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Could somebody please explain to me how Greta Thunberg has become the WORLD AUTHORITY ON CLIMATE CHANGE?

I cringe every time I see another fawning new article about her and her antics.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Hard stuff isn't hard even a kid can see it! I want to see Greta sell a significant carbon tax on her parents and hardworking families then I'll believe she knows something.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Aresen wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 15:57
Could somebody please explain to me how Greta Thunberg has become the WORLD AUTHORITY ON CLIMATE CHANGE?
Joe the Plumber, just worse because international.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JD

Post by JD »

Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 23:28
I have been to Rachel and the Little A'Le'Inn, and the theory that the entire town is set up as a halfway house for extraterrestrials strikes me as entirely plausible.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dhex

Post by dhex »

https://io9.gizmodo.com/u-s-military-is ... 1838412331

if i didn't know any better i'd think this was part of the marketing rollout for the movie.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Guy charged with terrorism after driving through IL mall
Police in Schaumburg, Ill., announced early Sunday morning that the Cook County state’s attorney had authorized the charge against Javier Garcia, 22, of Palatine, Ill. Garcia also was charged with felony criminal damage to property. Garcia was scheduled to appear in bond court on Sunday.

Under Illinois law, the Class X felony of terrorism can apply if the suspect is believed to have caused more than $100,000 in damage to any building containing five or more businesses, according to a statement issued by Schaumburg Police Sgt. Karen McCarthy. No federal charges have been brought against Garcia.

Investigators said in a statement that they “believe Garcia acted alone, no motive has been determined.” He was released to police custody on Friday from the AMITA Health Behavioral Institute.
True story: before they had that terrorism law on the books, they just had to let people go after they caused $100,000 in damage to multi-business buildings.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 01:16
Police in Schaumburg, Ill., announced early Sunday morning that the Cook County state’s attorney had authorized the charge against Javier Garcia, 22, of Palatine, Ill. Garcia also was charged with felony criminal damage to property. Garcia was scheduled to appear in bond court on Sunday.

Under Illinois law, the Class X felony of terrorism can apply if the suspect is believed to have caused more than $100,000 in damage to any building containing five or more businesses, according to a statement issued by Schaumburg Police Sgt. Karen McCarthy. No federal charges have been brought against Garcia.

Investigators said in a statement that they “believe Garcia acted alone, no motive has been determined.” He was released to police custody on Friday from the AMITA Health Behavioral Institute.
True story: before they had that terrorism law on the books, they just had to let people go after they caused $100,000 in damage to multi-business buildings.
Yes, those were dark days when prosecutors were at a loss for causes of action based only on what the defendant actually did. Dark days, indeed.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 01:35
Hugh Akston wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 01:16

Yes, those were dark days when prosecutors were at a loss for causes of action based only on what the defendant actually did. Dark days, indeed.
Truly we live in enlightened times.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

NYC has now made it illegal to call someone an illegal alien "with intent to demean, humiliate or harass a person", with possible fines up to $250,000. There were over 200 murders in the city last year, over 1300 rapes, over 9000 robberies and over 15,000 felonious assaults, but the city government prefers to focus on things like mean language and fruit-flavored cigars.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

A Utah woman is facing charges of "lewdness," and possibly a decade on the sex offender registry, for being topless in her own home.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/09/30/ ... SoLaJXyE9k
Tilli Buchanan and her husband had been installing insulation in their garage, and had stripped off their clothes just inside their home to get the itchy materials off their skin. She was topless when her stepchildren bounded down the stairs.

The children were a little embarrassed at the sight — but Buchanan told them they shouldn’t treat her differently because she was a woman. They aren’t uncomfortable seeing their dad’s chest, she told them, so it shouldn’t be different for her.

“This isn’t a sexual thing,” she recalled telling the children. “I should be able to wear exactly what my husband wears. You shouldn’t be embarrassed about this.”

But apparently state officials don’t have the same view. After getting wind of what Buchanan had thought was an innocent encounter, they filed criminal charges against the 27-year-old West Valley City woman.

She’s now facing three counts of lewdness involving a child — a class A misdemeanor. If convicted, Buchanan could land in jail and stay on the sex offender registry for the next 10 years....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jennifer wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 17:02
A Utah woman is facing charges of "lewdness," and possibly a decade on the sex offender registry, for being topless in her own home.

Tilli Buchanan and her husband had been installing insulation in their garage, and had stripped off their clothes just inside their home to get the itchy materials off their skin. She was topless when her stepchildren bounded down the stairs.

The children were a little embarrassed at the sight — but Buchanan told them they shouldn’t treat her differently because she was a woman. They aren’t uncomfortable seeing their dad’s chest, she told them, so it shouldn’t be different for her.

“This isn’t a sexual thing,” she recalled telling the children. “I should be able to wear exactly what my husband wears. You shouldn’t be embarrassed about this.”

But apparently state officials don’t have the same view. After getting wind of what Buchanan had thought was an innocent encounter, they filed criminal charges against the 27-year-old West Valley City woman.

She’s now facing three counts of lewdness involving a child — a class A misdemeanor. If convicted, Buchanan could land in jail and stay on the sex offender registry for the next 10 years....
I want to say "Well, it's Utah," but I suspect more states than not would call in the CPS Swat Team if it got wind of such an incident. The fact that they're stepchildren and, I assume, younger than teenagers are probably 'aggravating' factors, but we're still an insanely puritanical society.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 17:16
Jennifer wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 17:02

I want to say "Well, it's Utah," but I suspect more states than not would call in the CPS Swat Team if it got wind of such an incident. The fact that they're stepchildren and, I assume, younger than teenagers are probably 'aggravating' factors, but we're still an insanely puritanical society.
For all that I naturally oppose the legal double standard of male v. female nipples, I could kinda see CPS' point if it were something like, the family was chilling in their living room when the woman decided to play a sexy song on the stereo and do a striptease ... but of course that is not REMOTELY what happened, and IMO if nothing else there ought to be a "mitigating circumstances" thing.

I recall someone once -- I'm pretty sure it was someone on this forum, as opposed to a comment I read somewhere else -- guy told the story "Once upon a time I had a fast-food job, and a vat of hot fry oil spilled on my pants, and you best believe I pulled those clothes off immediately." Under most circumstances, I'd say "Dude, dropping your pants and exposing yourself to your coworkers is a MASSIVE no-no"... but under these circumstances it's totally necessary, and anyone who'd criticize you for disrobing under those circumstances is the inappropriate one here. (And of course, female toplessness, though officially considered "lewd," is still far less so than male or female bottomlessness.)

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Yeah, I mean, I am as attracted to female breasts as the next heterosexual guy, but these people all need to be forced to spend a summer at some German beach watching grotesquely obese men and women parade around until the very thought of any naked body makes them at least mildly nauseated.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 17:33
Yeah, I mean, I am as attracted to female breasts as the next heterosexual guy, but these people all need to be forced to spend a summer at some German beach watching grotesquely obese men and women parade around until the very thought of any naked body makes them at least mildly nauseated.
Or Mykonos or the Costa del Sol.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Yeah I had to do some field work on carbonate depositional environments in island arc systems by snorkeling at a topless beach in the French West Indes. I saw a backstroke that I will never forget, but to get there I had to wade past a lot of overly tanned men and women of a certain age that were, well, the sun has an effect on the elasticity of skin that builds up over time, yknow?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

And just think of those poor nursing babies who are exposed to breasts multiple times a day! The horror!!!!
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Shem

Post by Shem »

I would bet you anything this is a happening because it's a proxy war for divorced parents who hate each other, and mom is friends with/related to someone in the police or DA. Not even Utah is that fucked up without an additional justification.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Shem wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 22:49
I would bet you anything this is a happening because it's a proxy war for divorced parents who hate each other, and mom is friends with/related to someone in the police or DA. Not even Utah is that fucked up without an additional justification.
I don't know. A state where 67% of the population thinks drinking coffee or alcohol is a sin is pretty fucked up, IMHO.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Yes, Utah is every bit that fucked up. Worse yet, though Shem's suspicions may well be true, it's not anywhere close to the only state that fucked up.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 23:03
Yes, Utah is every bit that fucked up. Worse yet, though Shem's suspicions may well be true, it's not anywhere close to the only state that fucked up.
No, but I think it's uniquely fucked up.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT