OFFS: The Forsakening

Warren

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Warren » 08 Sep 2019, 09:41

Fun Fact: Fifty Shades of Grey is Twilight fanfic.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Sep 2019, 17:28

Warren wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 09:41
Yup. Of the "Wow, almost everyone is OOC..." variety, I would have to guess.

Apparently the Mortal Instruments series started out as Potter fanfic.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Sep 2019, 18:56

Eric the .5b wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 17:28
Apparently the Mortal Instruments series started out as Potter fanfic.
You sure about that?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Shem

Post by Shem » 08 Sep 2019, 20:36

Eric the .5b wrote:
Warren wrote:
Only a little, that's the fucked-up part.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Sep 2019, 21:40

A friend is explaining to me that the Democrats will never in a million years nominate a woman or an African American for president.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Sep 2019, 22:51

thoreau wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 21:40
A friend is explaining to me that the Democrats will never in a million years nominate a woman or an African American for president.
Was he trying to make some point? Did your friend say why he believed that?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Sep 2019, 23:05

thoreau wrote:
From a purely tactical politics POV, I think Kamala Harris has the best chance of defeating Trump.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Sep 2019, 23:09

She brought up the Democratic primary. My wife said that she thought that Harris is electable. Then our friend started saying that black and female candidates will never get the nomination. And I just signaled for my wife to drop it.

A couple years ago I said that I was surprised that America elected a black man as president before electing a white woman. This friend just started going on about how I have no idea what it's like to be a woman in STEM and if I did I would understand just how sexist this society is. And I tried to say that I believe everything she says about how sexist her workplace is but I also know a few things about race relations in America (my friend is from a very different society) and she just got pissed and I had to say that I am sorry for coming across as dismissive of how hard it is to be a woman in STEM.

So I plan to spend the next 14 months agreeing with her that America is way too sexist to ever elect a woman. Because as long as we stay away from gender issues she is a great friend.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Sep 2019, 23:10

Aresen wrote:
thoreau wrote:
From a purely tactical politics POV, I think Kamala Harris has the best chance of defeating Trump.
From a purely "Do you even read the newspaper?" point of view I think the Democrats have already demonstrated their willingness to nominate a woman or minority. But I saw no reason to bring that up.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Sep 2019, 00:45

thoreau wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 23:09
She brought up the Democratic primary. My wife said that she thought that Harris is electable. Then our friend started saying that black and female candidates will never get the nomination. And I just signaled for my wife to drop it.

A couple years ago I said that I was surprised that America elected a black man as president before electing a white woman. This friend just started going on about how I have no idea what it's like to be a woman in STEM and if I did I would understand just how sexist this society is. And I tried to say that I believe everything she says about how sexist her workplace is but I also know a few things about race relations in America (my friend is from a very different society) and she just got pissed and I had to say that I am sorry for coming across as dismissive of how hard it is to be a woman in STEM.

So I plan to spend the next 14 months agreeing with her that America is way too sexist to ever elect a woman. Because as long as we stay away from gender issues she is a great friend.
Your friend needs to grow a pair. :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Sep 2019, 02:12

Shem wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 20:36
Eric the .5b wrote:
Warren wrote:
Only a little, that's the fucked-up part.
Well, Bella to dumb college student is a gimme. Whiny vampire boy to swaggering sadist, not so much...and I realize I have no idea of any other characters in 50 Shades.

So maybe 50% OOC.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JD

Post by JD » 09 Sep 2019, 10:06

thoreau wrote:
A couple years ago I said that I was surprised that America elected a black man as president before electing a white woman.
I guess I was a little surprised too, but ultimately I concluded that if the principle is "America is actually more sexist than it is racist", then yeah, I could actually see that.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Shem

Post by Shem » 09 Sep 2019, 11:31

Given that Black men got their franchise amendment 50 years before women, it shouldn't be as surprising as it is (for me as well).

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Sep 2019, 11:35

All valid points, but (1) black men didn't get meaningful protections of their franchise rights until nearly 50 years after white women, so things are complicated, and (2) my friend's observation was about the Team Blue nomination. She's convinced that the Blues will never nominate a woman or minority.

Anyway, I don't argue this stuff with her. I think she over-simplifies but I see her point and don't want things to blow up. So I tell my wife to just shut up and agree that the country is more sexist than racist. And then irony meters explode.
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Sep 2019, 15:50

thoreau wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 11:35
She's convinced that the Blues will never nominate a woman or minority.
As opposed to Reds? Where does she get that from?
Just looking at recent past elections, current Senators and Representatives, how does she square that with her position?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Sep 2019, 15:53

Warren wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 15:50
thoreau wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 11:35
She's convinced that the Blues will never nominate a woman or minority.
As opposed to Reds? Where does she get that from?
Just looking at recent past elections, current Senators and Representatives, how does she square that with her position?
I would rather not ask. I would rather talk about other stuff with her. Which is what I try to do.
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Sep 2019, 17:19

thoreau wrote:
A couple years ago I said that I was surprised that America elected a black man as president before electing a white woman.
I'm not, because the 15th amendment came before the 19th. That's just how numbers work.

But really, imo there's more sociological baggage associated with gender than associated with race, even though both can fill all the overhead bin space and be made to check thru to their final destination
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 09 Sep 2019, 23:12

Eric the .5b wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 02:12
Whiny vampire boy to swaggering sadist, not so much...
Eh, both controlling freaks with Mommy issues. It comes through once the 50 Shades author climaxed a few times and started trying to add characterization.

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2019, 14:03

Trump administration readies ban on flavored e-cigarettes amid outbreak of vaping-related deaths
The Trump administration is preparing to ban flavored e-cigarettes as federal health officials call for restrictions to combat an outbreak of a mysterious lung disease that has sickened hundreds and killed at least six people, U.S. health secretary Alex Azar told reporters Wednesday.
Wow, a whole six people. That's like, as many people died in car accidents while you were reading this post. If only they had been vaping UNflavored e-cigarettes!
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Sep 2019, 14:13

JD wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 14:03
Trump administration readies ban on flavored e-cigarettes amid outbreak of vaping-related deaths
The Trump administration is preparing to ban flavored e-cigarettes as federal health officials call for restrictions to combat an outbreak of a mysterious lung disease that has sickened hundreds and killed at least six people, U.S. health secretary Alex Azar told reporters Wednesday.
Wow, a whole six people. That's like, as many people died in car accidents while you were reading this post. If only they had been vaping UNflavored e-cigarettes!
Sullum had a piece on this yesterday. Apparently the majority of sufferers they interviewed had been using CBD vape fluids that were oil-based rather than water-based. Those are already illegal.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 15 Sep 2019, 17:25

UN-flavor is all you can get in the FEMA camps.

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Sep 2019, 12:07

What flavors do you get in FAA camps? I swear that conservative conspiracy theories are really their fantasies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... ss-people/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Sep 2019, 22:57

Normcore gay dad pet comics drawn by an artist who hates you
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 17 Sep 2019, 19:08

But why do they hate me? I've done nothing to them!

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Sep 2019, 14:38

They hate all life
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God