OFFS: The Forsakening

JD

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JD » 16 Aug 2019, 11:33

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Aug 2019, 17:08

Jennifer wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 22:21

Code: Select all

"'We're losing more people to the sweets than to the streets': why two black pastors are suing Coca-Cola"
http://www.ajc.com/business/losing-more ... XQTkafAEM/

...Lamar and Delman Coates, pastor at Mt. Ennon Baptist Church in suburban Clinton, Maryland, claim soda marketing has made it harder to protect the health of their largely black, D.C.-based parishioners.

Their case is similar to another suit that was filed, and later withdrawn, last January by the same legal team in California.

The lawsuit marks a break with tradition for African-American and Latino community groups who have been reliable allies of Big Soda for years in policy fights nationwide -- despite overwhelming evidence that the harms of drinking soda disproportionately affect their communities.

Obesity, hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and lower-extremity amputations are all far higher among people of color than among whites. These communities also drink more soda and are exposed to more soda advertising.

"It's become really clear to me that we're losing more people to the sweets than to the streets," said Coates, who said he has seen parishioners give bottles filled with sugary drinks to their infants. "There's a great deal of misinformation in our communities, and I think that's largely a function of these deceptive marketing campaigns."
Given how much influence pastors have over their parishioners, did it ever occur to this man to find a way to diplomatically tell these mothers why putting soda in their babies' bottles is a bad idea? Or did he decide it would be easier to sue Big Soda instead?

EDIT: Added link, after discovering that the "code" function on this new forum is NOT equivalent to the "URL" function on the old, for making hyperlinks. Oops.
Update a couple years later: I am, of course, still firmly opposed to any suggestion that soda companies (or candymakers or any other sweet-stuff producers) be sued or otherwise blamed for the fact that some of their customers consume their products far beyond any "sensible moderation" point ... but, having lived in Atlanta for over three years now, I begin to sympathize with why some locals are so incredibly frustrated over the issue.

Yesterday Jeff and I bought some things at Walmart, and got in a cashier line with only one woman ahead of us. Alas, that one woman (with two overflowing carts) took over 10 minutes for the cashier to ring up -- I think, among other things, she was paying for some of her purchases with some type of vouchers, or manufacturer's self-printed coupons, and for some reason the cashier could only ring up a relatively few items at a time before doing something or other with the voucher.

The woman was definitely chubby -- not sure if merely "very overweight" or officially "obese," but in one of those neighborhoods -- but her son was the fattest pre-pubescent child I've ever seen IRL. He likely weighs more than I do, and I'm still a good two feet taller than he is -- the mass separating the front of his belly button from the back of his lower back was over TWICE as thick as the same measurement in me (and, I remind you, I'm two feet taller than this kid).

Since Jeff refuses to use self-checkout, I had lots and lots and LOTS of time to peruse the woman's purchases: with the exception of one small-ish bag of potato chips, ALL of the food in her carts was in the "non-junk food" category: mainly veggies and fruits, some fresh, some frozen, some canned. And a couple boxes of breakfast cereal, but not the "pure sugar" cereals -- certainly less candy-ish and more nutritious than the Cocoa Puffs or Sugar Smacks or similar cereals I ate back in the day. Point is, the food in her cart was NOT the type of food you would have expected to be consumed by such oversized people.

So I was wondering "How the devil can they be so fat when it looks like all they're eating is veggies and beans and other healthy, non-fattening things?" Then I saw -- while the FOODS in her cart mostly fell into the "nutritious and non-fattening" categories, the BEVERAGES were something else -- several half-gallon bottles of cartoon-branded fruit juices, five or six 24-pack boxes of cans of Coke, two 24-pack cans of Sprite, various non-juice "fruit drinks" .... ouchywawa.

If you're wondering how a five-or six-year-old can get horrifyingly obese despite a food diet which (based on that cart) is likely "healthier" and "better for you" than my typical food intake over a given week ... yikes, if that poor kid is drinking those sugary sweet drinks not as "occasional treats" but as "his actual everyday beverages," no wonder he's in such appalling shape. He might actually be getting the numerical majority of his daily caloric intake from sugar water.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Sep 2019, 14:36

Harry Potter banned from school library for including ‘actual’ spells
If your smartphone is levitating, you may have just fallen victim to one of the spells contained in Harry Potter, the book series by J.K. Rowling that was recently banned from a Catholic school library in Nashville, Tenn., amid fears that it contains “actual curses and spells.”

Father Dan Reehil, who serves as pastor for St. Edward Catholic School, confirmed to parents via email last week that Harry Potter would be banned from the library on the first day of school due to potentially evil content. He sent the email after a parent asked about the books, local station WTVF reports.

“These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception,” Reehil wrote in his email to parents on Aug. 28.

“The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Sep 2019, 14:42

Crazy Catholics have managed to catch up with crazy Protestants from over a decade ago.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Sep 2019, 14:52

When you believe a cracker changes into a dead man's flesh in your mouth, you'll believe anything.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Sep 2019, 15:21

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 14:42
Crazy Catholics have managed to catch up with crazy Protestants from over a decade ago.
I noticed that. It just seemed strange to me that anyone was paying attention to Harry Potter anymore.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Sep 2019, 15:23

Hugh Akston wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 14:52
When you believe a cracker changes into a dead man's flesh in your mouth, you'll believe anything.
Only if you use a +12 transmutation spell.

Jake

Post by Jake » 03 Sep 2019, 16:17

Aresen wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 14:36
“The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”
I remember these claims about D&D during the Satanic Panic of the '80s... and I so desperately wanted to ask the authors this: How in the hell do you know that they're "real" spells?
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Sep 2019, 16:22

Tribes be responding to post modern times by doubling down on esoteric boundaries between themselves and the chaos of the tribeless masses.

JD

Post by JD » 03 Sep 2019, 17:12

Jake wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 16:17
Aresen wrote:
I remember these claims about D&D during the Satanic Panic of the '80s... and I so desperately wanted to ask the authors this: How in the hell do you know that they're "real" spells?
In the article, it says
The priest said he decided to ban the books after consulting with “several exorcists, both in the United States and Rome.”
Could be a "I prayed on it" kind of thing, or it could be a "better safe than sorry" kind of thing, but frankly it's probably a "sentence first, verdict afterwards" thing.

(As an aside, I was always kind of bugged by the (lack of) explanation of how spells work in the Potterverse. It seems like you have to wave the wand in a very specific way and pronounce the words in a very specific way, but no reason for that, or why it apparently can take six years to learn how to do it, was ever given, AFAIK.)
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jake

Post by Jake » 03 Sep 2019, 17:26

JD wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 17:12
Jake wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 16:17
Aresen wrote:
In the article, it says
The priest said he decided to ban the books after consulting with “several exorcists, both in the United States and Rome.”
But that just pushes the source of the information back a step. How in the hell do they know, then?

It's like claiming "I know Vladimir Putin wears frilly pink panties to bed in his secret asteroid base because I consulted my ophthalmologist about it."
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2019, 17:54

Hugh Akston wrote:
Dead man?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Sep 2019, 18:54

Warren wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 17:54
Hugh Akston wrote:
Dead man?
Well, technically a lich.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Sep 2019, 19:07

Aresen wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 15:21
Eric the .5b wrote:
I noticed that. It just seemed strange to me that anyone was paying attention to Harry Potter anymore.
They're still making books and movies about it.

I keep meaning to look into it because every other geek I encounter online seems to love it, but I bounced so hard off that terminally twee first movie. There's all-ages and there's for-kids, and the full-on changeling wish-fulfillment fantasy going on there was way on the for-kids end of the scale.

(That by all accounts the magic system is arbitrary silliness is a relatively minor point in comparison.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Sep 2019, 19:33

Real Catholics would do some syncretism and put some Harry Potter in the order of the Mass.

Or at least use a magic wand to bless the Eucharist.

Eta- like dudes, the Prots beat you to this? For shame

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Sep 2019, 19:53

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 19:07
Aresen wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 15:21
Eric the .5b wrote:
They're still making books and movies about it.

I keep meaning to look into it because every other geek I encounter online seems to love it, but I bounced so hard off that terminally twee first movie. There's all-ages and there's for-kids, and the full-on changeling wish-fulfillment fantasy going on there was way on the for-kids end of the scale.

(That by all accounts the magic system is arbitrary silliness is a relatively minor point in comparison.)
The writing is extremely evocative but contains exactly zero details that hang together on closer examination.

The fandom is largely an extended exercise in making up new details to try to make the original make any goddamn sense at all.

But the woman has a gift for gripping and evocative stand-alone details. They make you feel like there really must be a world out there that makes sense that these are a part of. Even though that's false.

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Sep 2019, 20:23

Yeah, team jadagul
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Sep 2019, 20:29

Like, I really enjoyed the books. They were fun. And they've engendered a ton of really great fanfic. (I'm gonna recommend The Dogfather and Hermione Granger's Hogwarts Crammer for Delinquents on the Run if you're into that sort of thing.)

But they do't actually hang together and I don't want to categorize all my friends into which house they belong to.

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Sep 2019, 20:43

Oh I definitely categorize people into houses mentally

Like, I love him, but dubs is a Hufflepuff...

Of course, one problem with it not all hanging together is that Rowling gets a bunch of the characters' houses wrong. Like wtf is Hermione doing anywhere other than Ravenclaw?

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Sep 2019, 21:59

I've only overheard the book but it's mostly about race war.

I feel like people are fixated on the magic and less the Wizarding world of rahowa
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Sep 2019, 22:38

nicole wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 20:43

Of course, one problem with it not all hanging together is that Rowling gets a bunch of the characters' houses wrong. Like wtf is Hermione doing anywhere other than Ravenclaw?
The fanon houses are very different from the canon houses.

In canon, Gryffindor is the protagonist house, which means it's the house of people who are good at things. Ravenclaw is weird nerds; Hufflepuff is extras; and Slytherin is racists and arrogant people who can't back it up. Hermione is a Gryffindor because she's not weird and she is actually smarter than everyone else, and this fits "good at things" better than "weird nerdy outcast".

(None of this is what Rowling intended, but it is mostly what she portrayed. As I said, none of the details actually hang together.)

When people ask me about my house, I tell them that Gryffindor is the house with all the people who are better than everyone else, so I must be a Gryffindor. "Doesn't that sound Slytherin?" they ask. But no. Slytherins think they're better than everyone else, and are wrong. I actually am better than everyone else, and thus am a Gryffindor.

(In the fanon sense, my friends have a pretty good case that I am actually Slytherin. But I don't want to endorse that take because I find the whole thing mildly annoying.)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Sep 2019, 22:55

I'm definitely Slytherclaw.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Sep 2019, 23:03

Jadagul wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 22:38
nicole wrote:

In canon, Gryffindor is the protagonist house, which means it's the house of people who are good at things. Ravenclaw is weird nerds; Hufflepuff is extras; and Slytherin is racists and arrogant people who can't back it up. Hermione is a Gryffindor because she's not weird and she is actually smarter than everyone else, and this fits "good at things" better than "weird nerdy outcast".

(None of this is what Rowling intended, but it is mostly what she portrayed. As I said, none of the details actually hang together.)

When people ask me about my house, I tell them that Gryffindor is the house with all the people who are better than everyone else, so I must be a Gryffindor. "Doesn't that sound Slytherin?" they ask. But no. Slytherins think they're better than everyone else, and are wrong. I actually am better than everyone else, and thus am a Gryffindor.

(In the fanon sense, my friends have a pretty good case that I am actually Slytherin. But I don't want to endorse that take because I find the whole thing mildly annoying.)
Hm. I guess part of my thing here is that I think the actual protagonists are sort of stupid. Like, Hermione is good, but Harry is essentially a dumb jock and Ron is just dumb to the point where it’s incomprehensible that he’s a protagonist at all.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Sep 2019, 23:45

nicole wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 23:03
Jadagul wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 22:38
nicole wrote:

Hm. I guess part of my thing here is that I think the actual protagonists are sort of stupid. Like, Hermione is good, but Harry is essentially a dumb jock and Ron is just dumb to the point where it’s incomprehensible that he’s a protagonist at all.
Harry is an unreliable narrator with self-esteem issues, so he's not aware that he's better than everyone else at a bunch of things, but he clearly is. If you want the books to make sense (yes, I know), you have to assume that he is both natively pretty academically talented---especially in Defense---and also pretty damn charismatic in person. I think this is also the intended reading!

Ron is "good" at being supportive. Just like Hermione is "good" at being smart. You can make a decent case that Ron is Hufflepuff, But Good At It and Hermione is Ravenclaw, But Good At It. (Is Harry Slytherin, But Good At It? I think the books want you to think that, but it doesn't give the Slytherins any actual virtues so it's hard to say what a good one would look like.)

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Sep 2019, 06:06

Jadagul wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 20:29
Like, I really enjoyed the books. They were fun. And they've engendered a ton of really great fanfic. (I'm gonna recommend The Dogfather and Hermione Granger's Hogwarts Crammer for Delinquents on the Run if you're into that sort of thing.)

But they do't actually hang together and I don't want to categorize all my friends into which house they belong to.
What's truly amusing in the wake of this guy is that I recently heard Catholicism referred to as a Hogwarts house in that it's an ethos of performative spirituality that a lot of people fundamentally adhere to even though they may never have had any exposure to Catholicism itself, but they have Catholic-like rotes that occupy the same niche.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR