OFFS: The Forsakening

Jennifer

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jun 2019, 21:01

Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke released a plan Monday morning to improve the lives of veterans, returning to an area of priority during his time in the U.S. House for his latest 2020 policy rollout. ... the plan calls for ... the creation of a Veterans Health Care Trust Fund for each future war. The fund would be paid for by a "war tax" on households without service members or veterans.
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06/24 ... HwVawZgAgg

OFFS. If you're going to impose special taxes on only PART of the American population specifically to pay for wars, how about: limit the "war tax" to those Americans who argued that we actually should be in a given war? If only SOME Americans are to be on the hook for our bullshit misadventures in Iraq, make the idiots who actually supported the invasion cover the cost. (I admit, I would be on the hook for Afghanistan -- I DID support our initial post-9/11 invasion to oust the Taliban. But Iraq sure as hell wasn't my fault.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Jun 2019, 21:13

That's a particularly sanctimonious-yet-morally-bankrupt way to slip in a tax, yeah.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jun 2019, 21:15

Jennifer wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 21:01
Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke released a plan Monday morning to improve the lives of veterans, returning to an area of priority during his time in the U.S. House for his latest 2020 policy rollout. ... the plan calls for ... the creation of a Veterans Health Care Trust Fund for each future war. The fund would be paid for by a "war tax" on households without service members or veterans.

OFFS. If you're going to impose special taxes on only PART of the American population specifically to pay for wars, how about: limit the "war tax" to those Americans who argued that we actually should be in a given war? If only SOME Americans are to be on the hook for our bullshit misadventures in Iraq, make the idiots who actually supported the invasion cover the cost. (I admit, I would be on the hook for Afghanistan -- I DID support our initial post-9/11 invasion to oust the Taliban. But Iraq sure as hell wasn't my fault.)
Yeah let's tax the single moms who are raising the kids of veterans who came back so fucked up that he couldn't sleep in the same house with them for fear of killing them in a PTSD event. This would be my SIL right now.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Jun 2019, 22:02

We're dangerously close to "Service Guarantees Citizenship! Would you like to learn more?"
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 24 Jun 2019, 22:09

Jennifer wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 21:01

Gods do I hate veteran worship.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jun 2019, 23:46

If, Zod forbid, such a law actually went into effect, I wonder if maybe someone charged a war tax could sue on grounds of discrimination, specifically because "I TRIED to join the military, but they rejected me for health reasons! This war tax discriminates against people too old or unhealthy to enlist!"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Jun 2019, 00:07

I agree with the objections above, but I'd point out that O'Rourke could do this by the back door by proposing a 'Veteran's Deduction' line item for income tax.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 26 Jun 2019, 15:46

So San Francisco has outright banned e-cigarettes, "for the children". What a fucking do-gooder fascist hellhole. These people really don't seem to grasp anything but control.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Jun 2019, 15:54

But shitting on sidewalks and escalators is still okay, right?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Jun 2019, 18:00

Jennifer wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 15:54
But shitting on sidewalks and escalators is still okay, right?
Encouraged. I was just there in May.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Jun 2019, 02:00

I don't think most people have a clue what scarcity means in economics, but I'm still prepared to believe society could one day be so abundantly wealthy and thoroughly automated that there'd be little significant difference. Somehow, though, I don't see progressives leading the way.

Meanwhile, I know if I were running, oh, say, an engineering company, I'd hire no one but those eighty cents on a dollar women engineers or, even better, those sixty-one cents on a dollar black women engineers and pocket all those profits other fools are squandering on white male engineer salaries.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2019, 09:57

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 02:00
Meanwhile, I know if I were running, oh, say, an engineering company, I'd hire no one but those eighty cents on a dollar women engineers or, even better, those sixty-one cents on a dollar black women engineers and pocket all those profits other fools are squandering on white male engineer salaries.
My god man! Of course. It's so obvious now that you say it. It's a wonder no one has thought of this before.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Jul 2019, 15:13

https://kotaku.com/the-video-games-that ... 1836045401

the header should be "games that made people more liberal".

also i totally disagree about bioshock but college kids don't necessarily understand that revolutionary movements absolutely, positively, involve murder. yes, even those led by poc! omg!
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Jul 2019, 18:24

dhex wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 15:13
https://kotaku.com/the-video-games-that ... 1836045401

the header should be "games that made people more liberal".

also i totally disagree about bioshock but college kids don't necessarily understand that revolutionary movements absolutely, positively, involve murder. yes, even those led by poc! omg!
While I can sympathize with the complaint that the only significant POC is a revolutionary child-killer...yeah. See also, people's complaints about the endings of Far Cry 4, where all the revolutionary movements are assholes and you may have deposed the least-worst possible ruler by supporting any of them.

Also, the Path of Radiance thing makes me continue to notice that any time someone talks about Japanese media that's anti-war or that shows the horrors of war, the work in question is always about how it sucks to lose a war and/or be invaded by an enemy.

The Gone Home example is a pretty decent one, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JD

Post by JD » 03 Jul 2019, 11:22

The flap over the Nike "Betsy Ross" shoes is a whole new level of stupidity. The original 13-star flag is offensive because it "has connections to an era of slavery"? It isn't particularly about slavery, it just happens to be of an era when bad stuff was happening...but exactly the same thing could be said of anything that's at all historical. And that's some Maoist bullshit: it's an assertion that everything historical is tainted and unacceptable; the only acceptable things are the things that are ahistorical, newly created and blessed by He Who Makes the Decisions About What Is Acceptable or Not.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Jul 2019, 11:32

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the alphabet was invented in an era of slavery, too. Are all the angry Twitter users going to stop typing now?
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Jul 2019, 11:41

Ellie wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 11:32
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the alphabet was invented in an era of slavery, too. Are all the angry Twitter users going to stop typing now?
Do we even know if the Phoenicians owned slaves?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 03 Jul 2019, 12:16

thoreau wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 11:41
Ellie wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 11:32
Do we even know if the Phoenicians owned slaves?
Hanno saw gorillas. Clearly racist overtones.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 Jul 2019, 12:21

David Brooks Tweet: "I only wear New Balance because Nike was a goddess in a Greek culture that practiced slavery."
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2019, 12:35

Jasper wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:21

David Brooks Tweet: "I only wear New Balance because Nike was a goddess in a Greek culture that practiced slavery."
winner winner

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 03 Jul 2019, 12:54

My jaw is on the floor.

https://www.ny times.com/2019/07/02/nyregion/judge-james-troiano-rape.html
The boy filmed himself penetrating her from behind, her torso exposed, her head hanging down, prosecutors said. He later shared the cellphone video among friends, investigators said, and sent a text that said, “When your first time having sex was rape.”

But a family court judge said it wasn’t rape. Instead, he wondered aloud if it was sexual assault, defining rape as something reserved for an attack at gunpoint by strangers.

He also said the young man came from a good family, attended an excellent school, had terrific grades and was an Eagle scout. Prosecutors, the judge said, should have explained to the girl and her family that pressing charges would destroy the boy’s life.
It's on film, he admits it, judge still wants to let him off as leniently as possible.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jul 2019, 13:09

dead_elvis wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:54
My jaw is on the floor.

https://www.ny times.com/2019/07/02/nyregion/judge-james-troiano-rape.html
The boy filmed himself penetrating her from behind, her torso exposed, her head hanging down, prosecutors said. He later shared the cellphone video among friends, investigators said, and sent a text that said, “When your first time having sex was rape.”

But a family court judge said it wasn’t rape. Instead, he wondered aloud if it was sexual assault, defining rape as something reserved for an attack at gunpoint by strangers.

He also said the young man came from a good family, attended an excellent school, had terrific grades and was an Eagle scout. Prosecutors, the judge said, should have explained to the girl and her family that pressing charges would destroy the boy’s life.
It's on film, he admits it, judge still wants to let him off as leniently as possible.
JFC
I suspect family court judge is about to retire.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Jul 2019, 13:33

Sadly, this is not even remotely the only person who thinks "Let's not allow a mere rape or two to ruin the poor rapist's life." After that Steubenville (IIRC) gang-rape, some idiotic news anchor made similar remarks -- ooh, those poor rapist's futures are going to be blighted by this.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Jul 2019, 13:46

The hell of it is, IMO, being from a good family should be all the MORE reason to throw the book at him -- he was raised with every advantage and pissed it all away to rape somebody. If anything, I'd be more inclined to have sympathy for someone raised in shit conditions: "Your Honor, my client was raised in a Mafia family which never taught him the difference between right and wrong."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Jul 2019, 13:54

Jennifer wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 13:33
Sadly, this is not even remotely the only person who thinks "Let's not allow a mere rape or two to ruin the poor rapist's life." After that Steubenville (IIRC) gang-rape, some idiotic news anchor made similar remarks -- ooh, those poor rapist's futures are going to be blighted by this.
Yeah, this is not the only instance of this bullshit, though it might be the most blatant. "We don't want this to ruin anyone's life!" Except the victim whose life has been irrevocably affected. Why not just cut the crap and come right out and say, "Men matter, and women do not."
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex