OFFS: The Forsakening

JD

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JD » 29 Mar 2019, 10:24

So New York State is all set to ban single-use plastic bags in retail establishments, because this damn state doesn't know how to do anything except ban things. There are a bunch of exceptions ("food takeout bags used by restaurants, bags used to wrap deli or meat counter products and bags for bulk items, newspaper bags, garment bags and bags sold in bulk, such as trash or recycling bags"), which is a tacit admission that plastic bags are actually useful. I think the motive is fine, because plastic bags are a major source of trash, but the implementation, as usual, is crap. There is also an option that will allow counties to impose a 5-cent fee on paper bags.

From the Times:
“There was a real understanding that there should be a ban on plastic,” said Todd Kaminsky, a Democratic state senator from Nassau County, who is the chairman of the environmental conservation committee. “And that if people go to paper rather than reusables, we are not that better off.”
and
The ban also marks an evolution for Mr. Cuomo, a third-term Democrat, who in 2017 signed a bill that effectively killed a New York City law that would have imposed a 5-cent fee on plastic bags. The New York City fee had also been opposed by some in the State Assembly, which has been dominated by Democrats, who worried that the fee would act as a regressive tax on poor consumers.
So a 5-cent fee on plastic bags is a regressive tax...but a 5-cent fee on paper bags is not? Making people buy reusable bags is not?
But that provision also left some environmental advocates disappointed; they argue that by not mandating a paper-bag fee, many people will simply use paper bags instead of reusable bags.

Peter Iwanowicz, the executive director of Environmental Advocates of New York, said the provision to make paper-bag fees optional made the proposed plan “a weak response to the scourge of disposable bags.”

“New York had a chance to show real leadership and came up short,” he said.
So the mindset is completely clear: they would go for a flat ban on any and every "non-reusable" bag if they could.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Mar 2019, 11:23

JD wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 10:24

From the Times:
“There was a real understanding that there should be a ban on plastic,” said Todd Kaminsky, a Democratic state senator from Nassau County, who is the chairman of the environmental conservation committee. “And that if people go to paper rather than reusables, we are not that better off.”
Of course, keeping reusable bags clean and sanitary consumes no energy, fresh water and soap at all. :roll:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Mar 2019, 11:31

Aresen wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 11:23
JD wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 10:24

From the Times:
Of course, keeping reusable bags clean and sanitary consumes no energy, fresh water and soap at all. :roll:
And making them in the first place definitely isn't worse for the environment.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Mar 2019, 12:00

I've wondered why people haven't tried to promote paper bags as carbon capture? Sure, it's not much, but it's as effective as some things people tout.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Mar 2019, 20:29

Highway wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 12:00
I've wondered why people haven't tried to promote paper bags as carbon capture? Sure, it's not much, but it's as effective as some things people tout.
What? Like exhale into a bag and tape it shut?
heh. I like it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Apr 2019, 06:43

People have spent the post-9/11 era more afraid of a world war than when the Soviet Union was a going concern.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Apr 2019, 07:12

And the Iron Curtain going down was only good for a brief lull in anxiety.

On the other hand, they're playing deceptive Y-axis games, making a ~12% rise since actual attacks on US soil look like a ~33% jump.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Apr 2019, 11:49

Enclose playgrounds with surplus government refugee cages. Problem solved.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Apr 2019, 11:55

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 11:49
Enclose playgrounds with surplus government refugee cages. Problem solved.
What problem are you solving?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Apr 2019, 12:44

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 07:12
And the Iron Curtain going down was only good for a brief lull in anxiety.

On the other hand, they're playing deceptive Y-axis games, making a ~12% rise since actual attacks on US soil look like a ~33% jump.
Iraq and the Balkans align with the bounceback, so it makes a bit of sense.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Apr 2019, 14:29

Jesus Christ Robin Hanson.

In what world is “Be my slave and bang maid and I won’t enslave your children,” not illegitimate pressure?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Apr 2019, 17:37

{Reads guy's twitter feed} Jesus. And he just keeps making it worse, too.

#NotAllSlavers. No, wait, I can't even make that joke because he beat me to it:

Jesus Christ. Is he also the type to argue "ALL lives matter?" (searches tweets) Ayup.

Verily, his powers of obtuseness are formidable indeed.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 29 Apr 2019, 19:06

The thing I'll say for Robin Hanson is that he actually is genuinely that oblivious.

A lot of his writing is basically "I, a person who genuinely doesn't understand social interaction, have discovered some basic element of social interaction that everyone took for granted and now must announce it to the world." This can be interesting in the way that making the familiar strange can be a useful thought tool, but it's also sort of annoying because he genuinely is noticing basic shit for the first time and being amazed by it.

(One of my friends has this story where he was at some event and went around polling people on whether they'd rather their eulogies be honest or positive. And everyone said "honest", and he wrote a piece about how it's a mystery why everyone gives positive but not totally honest eulogies.

This from a man who's Main Thing is how people say things for signalling value rather than because they really mean them.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Apr 2019, 15:21

A school bus driver who raped a 14-year-old girl was not sentenced to any prison time because, as the judge said, he only raped the one girl. So ... I guess every man is entitled to one free rape before facing harsh consequences?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 622221002/
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Apr 2019, 15:26

This is how you get shitty prosecutors.

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Apr 2019, 15:30

Jennifer wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 15:21
A school bus driver who raped a 14-year-old girl was not sentenced to any prison time because, as the judge said, he only raped the one girl. So ... I guess every man is entitled to one free rape before facing harsh consequences?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 622221002/
The judge said that was the reason for making him register as a Level 1 rather than Level 2 sex offender, a categorization that relates to likelihood to reoffend.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Apr 2019, 16:37

Great journalism there. That story doesn't include the statutory range for 3rd degree rape, what the elements of 3rd degree rape are, what he was originally charged with (and perhaps those elements), or what the plea offer was. If it was such a horrifying/strong case from the State's perspective, why was there a plea offered that had the possibility of no jail or prison time?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 May 2019, 15:55

Apparently Polish Catholics need a Safe Space:
"No whim of freedom and 'tolerance' gives anyone the right to offend the feelings of believers," Polish Interior Minister Joachim Brudziński said on Twitter.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/07/world/po ... index.html
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 May 2019, 16:25

From what few stories I've heard, I strongly suspect my maternal grandfather -- who died a few months before I was born -- was an abusive drunken ass ... but at least he had the wisdom and foresight to GTFO of Poland when he could. If there IS an afterlife, I'll have to track him down and thank him when I get there.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 May 2019, 19:18

The mayor of a mostly-white Georgia town about 50 miles from Atlanta allegedly withdrew a candidate from consideration for a city administrator job "because he is black, and the city isn’t ready for this" (exact quote).

Another member of the city council says he shares the mayor's views about race because "“I’m a Christian and my Christian beliefs are you don’t do interracial marriage. That’s the way I was brought up and that’s the way I believe,” he said. “I have black friends, I hired black people. But when it comes to all this stuff you see on TV, when you see blacks and whites together, it makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live” (another exact quote).

From May 2019, not a reprint story from 1962 or something.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--po ... 8CzpngLjP/

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 May 2019, 20:01

Jennifer wrote:
07 May 2019, 19:18
The mayor of a mostly-white Georgia town about 50 miles from Atlanta allegedly withdrew a candidate from consideration for a city administrator job "because he is black, and the city isn’t ready for this" (exact quote).

Another member of the city council says he shares the mayor's views about race because "“I’m a Christian and my Christian beliefs are you don’t do interracial marriage. That’s the way I was brought up and that’s the way I believe,” he said. “I have black friends, I hired black people. But when it comes to all this stuff you see on TV, when you see blacks and whites together, it makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live” (another exact quote).

I can't even...
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 May 2019, 20:06

Aresen wrote:
07 May 2019, 20:01
Jennifer wrote:

I can't even...
At least you can take comfort in knowing "I have most of a continent, plus several state and provincial boundaries PLUS one international border, between me and these assholes." Whereas I live in the same metro area as these reprehensible racist fucksticks....

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 May 2019, 20:08

Jennifer wrote:
07 May 2019, 20:06
Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I can't even...
At least you can take comfort in knowing "I have most of a continent, plus several state and provincial boundaries PLUS one international border, between me and these assholes." Whereas I live in the same metro area as these reprehensible racist fucksticks....
Are you telling me to check my Canuckistani privilege? :P

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 May 2019, 20:12

Aresen wrote:
07 May 2019, 20:08
Jennifer wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I can't even...
Specifically to check it, make sure it's safe, and to cherish it like the precious jewel it is.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 May 2019, 20:14

Aresen wrote:
07 May 2019, 20:08
Jennifer wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I can't even...
Nah, just trying to net a little sympathy for myself. Some of my local friends can say similar things about me: "Hey, Jennifer, at least you have all of Atlanta plus its northern suburbs between you and these assholes. Whereas I'm practically down the street from these ...."