OFFS: The Forsakening

Warren

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Warren » 19 Feb 2019, 20:16

Number 6 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 19:15
Kolohe wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:23
(actually, I think they overstating the exposure to the public. But they did screw up totally with the workers that were tasked to 'clean that mess up')
Using standards set by the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Stephenson calculated that children could have been exposed to doses of radiation above federal safety standards within three seconds. Adults could have been exposed to dangerous doses in under 30 seconds.
Like, this math doesn't work out for what type of emitter uranium ore is, how strong of an emitter it is, and the distance to the source - for schoolkids just standing around in the same room.
That was my thought. Evaluating radiation hazards, including REDs, is a significant part of the job I do for the Air Force. While I don't have my reference materials at hand, my first thought was that unless the stuff is highly enriched, it shouldn't be an issue. (Even then, I wouldn't expect much of a hazard as long as it was there was some amount of distance and shielding.)
Did I ever tell you guys the story about the mysterious radiation source on my ship? I feel like I have.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Feb 2019, 20:26

I'd think the bigger real danger would be to staff who stood around the radioactive buckets giving demonstrations daily, probably multiple times a day. Kinda like how it's NBD to get an x-ray, but if you're an x-ray tech, you wanna be behind the lead barrier when you give people x-rays.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 19 Feb 2019, 21:31

Warren wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:16
Number 6 wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
(actually, I think they overstating the exposure to the public. But they did screw up totally with the workers that were tasked to 'clean that mess up')
Using standards set by the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Stephenson calculated that children could have been exposed to doses of radiation above federal safety standards within three seconds. Adults could have been exposed to dangerous doses in under 30 seconds.
Like, this math doesn't work out for what type of emitter uranium ore is, how strong of an emitter it is, and the distance to the source - for schoolkids just standing around in the same room.
That was my thought. Evaluating radiation hazards, including REDs, is a significant part of the job I do for the Air Force. While I don't have my reference materials at hand, my first thought was that unless the stuff is highly enriched, it shouldn't be an issue. (Even then, I wouldn't expect much of a hazard as long as it was there was some amount of distance and shielding.)
Did I ever tell you guys the story about the mysterious radiation source on my ship? I feel like I have.
I could stand to hear more.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 Feb 2019, 21:57

Number 6 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 21:31
Warren wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
I could stand to hear more.
Seconded.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Feb 2019, 22:13

Does the story end with Dread Cthulhu being released from his prison beneath Antarctica and devouring the entire world?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 19 Feb 2019, 22:50

Warren wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Was it caused by g-g-g-ghosts?!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 19 Feb 2019, 23:06

thoreau wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:13
Does the story end with Dread Cthulhu being released from his prison beneath Antarctica and devouring the entire world?
No, that happened when Lemmy & Bowie died. We've been in Cthulhu's dreamt hellscape since then.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 20 Feb 2019, 11:15

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Feb 2019, 13:21

So I worked on a submarine tender. Navy submarines are powered by nuclear reactors. We had a division that handled all things radioactive (cleanest space on the ship). For instance, for me to go aboard a submarine, they had to issue me a dosimeter. It was like a little plastic bullet that you wore on your belt and once a quarter you'd take it to get it read and they'd give you a new one. My total exposure is recorded somewhere in my military records. They also had dosimeters placed throughout the ship, little things tie-wrapped to conduit and such. And ever so often they'd come swap them out. Well one day one of they came up with an above background reading. So they went into Super Nuke mode, running around the ship with Geiger counters. And the radiation was everywhere. They quickly figured out it was in a puddle and being tracked around the ship. Once they got it cleaned up, they went looking for the source. Lots of panic because if something's leaking, well there's lot of paperwork. Turned out, we had some cement we bought on the local market (Italy) that was stored in out machine shop and that was the source. Just the naturally occurring radiation from the sand or whatever in the cement. One of the bags tore and it got tracked around.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 20 Feb 2019, 14:07

Warren wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 13:21
So I worked on a submarine tender. Navy submarines are powered by nuclear reactors. We had a division that handled all things radioactive (cleanest space on the ship). For instance, for me to go aboard a submarine, they had to issue me a dosimeter. It was like a little plastic bullet that you wore on your belt and once a quarter you'd take it to get it read and they'd give you a new one. My total exposure is recorded somewhere in my military records. They also had dosimeters placed throughout the ship, little things tie-wrapped to conduit and such. And ever so often they'd come swap them out. Well one day one of they came up with an above background reading. So they went into Super Nuke mode, running around the ship with Geiger counters. And the radiation was everywhere. They quickly figured out it was in a puddle and being tracked around the ship. Once they got it cleaned up, they went looking for the source. Lots of panic because if something's leaking, well there's lot of paperwork. Turned out, we had some cement we bought on the local market (Italy) that was stored in out machine shop and that was the source. Just the naturally occurring radiation from the sand or whatever in the cement. One of the bags tore and it got tracked around.
Not as wild, but once, while obtaining background readings for an exercise, I happened to put my counter on a fallen mud dauber's nest. It was hot. Not dangerously so (unless you ate the thing), but more than 10x background. I have my own theories about the source, but can't really saw anything in this space.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Feb 2019, 14:25

Did you hang around for a while to see if you could get stung by said radioactive mud dauber and gain superpowers?
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Feb 2019, 14:25

Number 6 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 14:07
Not as wild, but once, while obtaining background readings for an exercise, I happened to put my counter on a fallen mud dauber's nest. It was hot. Not dangerously so (unless you ate the thing), but more than 10x background. I have my own theories about the source, but can't really saw anything in this space.
It was a mutant supersoldier program, wasn't it?

That's usually what it is, according to TV shows.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Feb 2019, 14:31

Thunderf00t did a video about finding rocks by the roadside in Colorado that produced 100x normal background radiation:

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 20 Feb 2019, 15:45

thoreau wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 14:25
Number 6 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 14:07
It was a mutant supersoldier program, wasn't it?

That's usually what it is, according to TV shows.
I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of a super soldier terminator program. By the way, do you happen to know a Sarah Connor?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Feb 2019, 16:11

If she wants to live, should she come with you?
--Mo

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 20 Feb 2019, 16:44

thoreau wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 16:11
If she wants to live, should she come with you?
I'm more Sherminator than terminator.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Feb 2019, 07:06

Vandals try to light a statue of General Lee on fire. Though, unless they are anti-D-Day or the 101st Airborne, it's probably because they were morons. The statue was of General William Lee. Also, further evidence they are idiots is that they tried to set a marble statue on fire.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 21 Feb 2019, 10:26

Mo wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 07:06
Vandals try to light a statue of General Lee on fire. Though, unless they are anti-D-Day or the 101st Airborne, it's probably because they were morons. The statue was of General William Lee. Also, further evidence they are idiots is that they tried to set a marble statue on fire.
If you heat a marble statue enough, it will crumble. But yeah, I'd go with morons.

Anyhow, General Gavin is the clearly superior WWII airborne commander.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Feb 2019, 11:59

Ellie wrote:
Did you hang around for a while to see if you could get stung by said radioactive mud dauber and gain superpowers?
Mud daubers look like wasps, but (un)fortunately don't sting or bite. I suppose you could try eating it. But the only superpower you'd get is being able to change into cape, mask, and tights in a blinding flash of light to mimic a superhero.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Feb 2019, 12:45

I think I said this before, for years the head of the Hawaii National Guard was General Robert Lee. (Korean ancestry, of course)
https://www.nationalguard.mil/portals/3 ... /1512.html
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Feb 2019, 13:35

Warren wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 11:59
Ellie wrote:
Mud daubers look like wasps, but (un)fortunately don't sting or bite. I suppose you could try eating it. But the only superpower you'd get is being able to change into cape, mask, and tights in a blinding flash of light to mimic a superhero.
They can sting (got stung by one) but they almost never do.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 21 Feb 2019, 18:01

Shem wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 13:35
Warren wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 11:59
Ellie wrote:
They can sting (got stung by one) but they almost never do.
Lies and poppycock!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Feb 2019, 01:07

No good deed goes unpunished
On a chilly evening earlier this month, a mystery man purchased 121 boxes of cookies from a pair of Girl Scouts stationed outside a supermarket in Greenville. “Pack up all of your cookies. I'm taking them all so y'all can get out of this cold,” the buyer declared before driving off with his cookie haul.
McGowan is accused of conspiring to import and distribute heroin, cocaine, and fentanyl. He is also facing felony charges for cash smuggling and maintaining a drug-involved premise (a Mountville, South Carolina property allegedly used for the manufacture and storage of narcotics).
The indictment seeks the forfeiture of McGowan’s home in Piedmont, a Greenville suburb. The residence is co-owned with Lauren Brook Poore, who is charged in the indictment with conspiring with McGowan to illegally structure bank deposits. Prosecutors are seeking to seize four bank accounts jointly held by McGowan and the 35-year-old Poore.
THANK GALT THIS DANGEROUS MISCREANT IS OFF THE STREETS
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Feb 2019, 23:08

Apparently libertarianism is a tremendously successful political ideology that left-wing intellectuals need to emulate:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/The-A ... story_40_1

OK...
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Feb 2019, 23:13

thoreau wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 23:08
Apparently libertarianism is a tremendously successful political ideology that left-wing intellectuals need to emulate:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/The-A ... story_40_1

OK...
We've all moved on to Shemocracy® now.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex