OFFS: The Forsakening

Shem

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Shem » 23 Jan 2019, 22:10

Warren wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 22:08
*reads thread*
So this is a thing we're talking about again I guess.
*googles nominations*
:lol: ha ha ha ha ha :lol:
That about sums it up for me.
Great, you can look at other things.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Jan 2019, 04:49

Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 19:49
I feel weird having to point this out, but the Oscars are not a relevant indicator of the quality of a film or contribution thereto. The Oscars are prom that only the popular kids are invited to.
Which made Moonlight's win and the way said win was announced so satisfying.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Jan 2019, 10:17

Mo wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 04:49
Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 19:49
I feel weird having to point this out, but the Oscars are not a relevant indicator of the quality of a film or contribution thereto. The Oscars are prom that only the popular kids are invited to.
Which made Moonlight's win and the way said win was announced so satisfying.
How's that?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Jan 2019, 10:44

I mean La La Land is the rich, popular kid that roofies people, so having them called on stage as the winner before having the poor black kid take it away. Especially after not winning any of the prestige awards,
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jan 2019, 14:44

Mo wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 19:40
Just because something wasn’t up for Best Picture doesn’t mean it wasn’t a worthy film. Groundhog Day didn’t get a nomination, but it was better than The Fugitive. Nothing is beating Schindler’s List that year though.
But Groundhog Day was arguably the more influential film by a long shot. It's a really surprising cultural touchstone. Without the Red Coat Gimmick®, I'd have liked Schindler's List a lot better. Broke the film for me and I never went back in.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Jan 2019, 14:48

The red coat broke the whole film? That's rough.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Jan 2019, 15:45

Mo wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 10:44
I mean La La Land is the rich, popular kid that roofies people, so having them called on stage as the winner before having the poor black kid take it away. Especially after not winning any of the prestige awards,
Alternately the prom committee got together and decided to let the token black kid have this one so they didn't look racist.

IRL though both movies had multimillion dollar FYC campaigns and shameless pandering to the Academy for a thing that does not make one of them better than the other.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jan 2019, 17:31

JasonL wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 14:48
The red coat broke the whole film? That's rough.
It took me out of the story by forcing me to think about the technical decision to do that and I never got back into the story. From then on part of my attention was Speilberg's technical decisions rather than on the story. The black and white didn't do that because it was consistent. It was a gimmick but it was a consistent gimmick throughout the film. But to suddenly make this one exception that looks like every bad Turner colorization broke my immersion and refocused me on what Speilberg's intentions were.

Don't get me wrong, it was still a powerful film, but not as powerful as it would've been without that one jarring inconsistency.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jan 2019, 00:03

The red coat took me out for a second but only a second. The shower scene is probably the most uncomfortable and powerful mindfuck I've ever experienced from a movie.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Jan 2019, 13:39

They've somehow made the keytar even more lame.
...Yamaha’s new “instrumental karaoke” Sonogenic SHS-500 keytar. A light, guitar-like keyboard that hangs from your neck, it uses an IOS app to produce 30 built-in sounds — from pianos to drums and synthesizers.

Priced at $499, it uses Yamaha’s Chord Tracker app, which instantly analyzes any song in the music library on your mobile device, then wirelessly sends the chord data to the Sonogenic. The instrument’s keys will trigger only the correct notes and chords, so that anyone can “play” along with their favorite songs without making any mistakes. No matter what key you depress, it will always be the right one, so to speak.

“Until now, you had to take some lessons or have good ears,” said Yamaha of America marketing representative Ben Harrison. “On the Sonogenic, without any musical training, you can sound good.”
OFFS, at least the autoharp, or even Guitar Hero, required pressing the correct button. Might as well just say "play along with your favorite songs; just press play on your preferred audio player, and pretend you're playing one of the instruments" and skip the 500 bucks.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 25 Jan 2019, 14:27

Yeah but fun at parties maybe. Not parties *I* would go to, of course.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 25 Jan 2019, 17:04

So it's a $500 air guitar.

Sorry, "keytar".
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 25 Jan 2019, 20:07

dead_elvis wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 13:39
...Yamaha’s new “instrumental karaoke” Sonogenic SHS-500 keytar. A light, guitar-like keyboard that hangs from your neck, it uses an IOS app to produce 30 built-in sounds — from pianos to drums and synthesizers.

Priced at $499, it uses Yamaha’s Chord Tracker app, which instantly analyzes any song in the music library on your mobile device, then wirelessly sends the chord data to the Sonogenic. The instrument’s keys will trigger only the correct notes and chords, so that anyone can “play” along with their favorite songs without making any mistakes. No matter what key you depress, it will always be the right one, so to speak.

“Until now, you had to take some lessons or have good ears,” said Yamaha of America marketing representative Ben Harrison. “On the Sonogenic, without any musical training, you can sound good.”
OFFS, at least the autoharp, or even Guitar Hero, required pressing the correct button. Might as well just say "play along with your favorite songs; just press play on your preferred audio player, and pretend you're playing one of the instruments" and skip the 500 bucks.
Only makes sense. It's been a while since you had to play an instrument to play an instrument. Or be able to sing to be a singer.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 26 Jan 2019, 08:24

dead_elvis wrote:
How come real life has become weirder than a fever dream?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Jan 2019, 11:49

Tuco wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 08:24
dead_elvis wrote:
How come real life has become weirder than a fever dream?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Feb 2019, 17:42

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2019/ ... ium=social
“These two collisions were a tragedy, there is no doubt about it,” Davidson said. “And all the senior leaders of the Navy feel a tremendous amount of accountability for it. But the fact of the matter is 280-odd other ships weren’t having collisions.”
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Feb 2019, 17:54

Kolohe wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 17:42
“These two collisions were a tragedy, there is no doubt about it,” Davidson said. “And all the senior leaders of the Navy feel a tremendous amount of accountability for it. But the fact of the matter is 280-odd other ships weren’t having collisions.”
That's not even one percent!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Feb 2019, 19:15

Kolohe wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 17:42
That's just begging to have your teeth loosened.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Feb 2019, 22:07

Nobody ever talks about the people Ted Bundy DIDN'T kill, either.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Feb 2019, 23:46

Jennifer wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 22:07
Nobody ever talks about the people Ted Bundy DIDN'T kill, either.
Jennifer wins the /tasteless comment award for today!! :lol:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 19 Feb 2019, 14:12

Whatever you did wrong at work today, you can take some comfort in the fact that it probably wasn't "expose thousands of unwitting people to dangerous levels of radiation"...
The National Park Service was storing three buckets full of highly radioactive uranium in the visitor area of its Grand Canyon museum for nearly two decades, according to the park safety manager.

The 5-gallon buckets were located near the taxidermy exhibit, and one was so full of uranium ore that it couldn’t be sealed, according to Elston “Swede” Stephenson, a manager who sent a rogue email to all Park Service employees earlier this month, AZ Central reports.

Tour groups, often including children, sometimes spent 30 minutes or more near the taxidermy exhibit for demonstrations. Using standards set by the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Stephenson calculated that children could have been exposed to doses of radiation above federal safety standards within three seconds. Adults could have been exposed to dangerous doses in under 30 seconds.

For unknown reasons, the three buckets full of uranium were moved from a basement in Grand Canyon park headquarters to the Grand Canyon museum when it opened in 2000, according to Stephenson. The buckets were discovered by accident in March 2018 when the hobbyist teenage son of a park employee brought a Geiger counter into the taxidermy-collection room.

Workers moved the buckets to another part of the museum after the discovery, but they remained on site until June 18, 2018, a few days after Stephenson was made aware of the buckets and reported them to Park Service officials. Technicians wearing dishwashing gloves used a mop handle to move them into a truck and drive them offsite, he told AZ Central.

According to Stephenson, the ore was dumped into Orphan Mine, a disused uranium mine two miles from Grand Canyon Village, a cluster of hotels and shops where many visitors to the park pass through. But for unknown reasons, the empty buckets were brought back to the museum. They were then rediscovered inside the museum in November 2018...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Feb 2019, 14:21

Though now I understand...

the glowing reviews
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Feb 2019, 14:23

(actually, I think they overstating the exposure to the public. But they did screw up totally with the workers that were tasked to 'clean that mess up')
Using standards set by the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Stephenson calculated that children could have been exposed to doses of radiation above federal safety standards within three seconds. Adults could have been exposed to dangerous doses in under 30 seconds.
Like, this math doesn't work out for what type of emitter uranium ore is, how strong of an emitter it is, and the distance to the source - for schoolkids just standing around in the same room.

JD

Post by JD » 19 Feb 2019, 16:58

Kolohe wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:23
(actually, I think they overstating the exposure to the public. But they did screw up totally with the workers that were tasked to 'clean that mess up')
Using standards set by the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Stephenson calculated that children could have been exposed to doses of radiation above federal safety standards within three seconds. Adults could have been exposed to dangerous doses in under 30 seconds.
Like, this math doesn't work out for what type of emitter uranium ore is, how strong of an emitter it is, and the distance to the source - for schoolkids just standing around in the same room.
I don't know exactly what the standards are that they're referring to, but it strikes me that it's also possible that the reporter mixed up "violates regulatory standards" with "is actually dangerous".
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 19 Feb 2019, 19:15

Kolohe wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:23
That was my thought. Evaluating radiation hazards, including REDs, is a significant part of the job I do for the Air Force. While I don't have my reference materials at hand, my first thought was that unless the stuff is highly enriched, it shouldn't be an issue. (Even then, I wouldn't expect much of a hazard as long as it was there was some amount of distance and shielding.)
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul