OFFS: The Forsakening

Hugh Akston

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Oct 2018, 08:21

Can someone explain why this is upsetting?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Oct 2018, 09:45

Because you started a new page and I don't know what you're talking about :P

ETA
I've looked at the previous page and I still don't know.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Shem

Post by Shem » 03 Oct 2018, 13:51

Aresen wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 22:16
One of my Facebook friends wrote:What I like about Rachel Maddow is how thorough she is.
You ever watch her? She routinely spends the first 20 minutes of her show beating a given event to death. Like, commercial free. Agree or disagree with her, if you're after the leftish perspective on a given event in more detail than you really wanted, she's the person to go to. Goes a long way in making up for her mediocre interviewing skills.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Oct 2018, 13:54

i can't stand to listen to her talk but you're not wrong.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Oct 2018, 15:21

Shem wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 13:51
Aresen wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 22:16
One of my Facebook friends wrote:What I like about Rachel Maddow is how thorough she is.
You ever watch her? She routinely spends the first 20 minutes of her show beating a given event to death. Like, commercial free. Agree or disagree with her, if you're after the leftish perspective on a given event in more detail than you really wanted, she's the person to go to. Goes a long way in making up for her mediocre interviewing skills.
10 minutes of that is usually a delve into the Great Tea Race of 1866 to set up a thirty second analogy to the topic at hand, but yeah.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Oct 2018, 18:30

A teacher was sexually assaulted at school. The assault was caught on security cameras. The assailant was arrested and pleaded guilty. And the school responded by putting the teacher on unpaid leave for the rest of the year.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Oct 2018, 09:10

Scott Alexander: We can't build more housing supply because it will make housing prices go up!

http://slatestarcodex.com/2018/10/01/st ... he-nimbys/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 01 Nov 2018, 08:44

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2018, 16:53

The only thing worse and more business-speaky than using "challenges" to refer to problems that one wants fixed is calling them "opportunities"

No, the damn software isn't working as expected. That's a fucking problem.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Nov 2018, 16:58

Hey, it's an opportunity to be unproductive, or over budget, or even find some way to say that fixing it isn't in your scope and you need more money! The constructors that build our projects are great at finding those opportunities. "Hey, we wanted to build it this other way because we thought it would save us money, but now we can't get that to work, so you need to pay us extra to get it to work."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 09 Nov 2018, 10:04

Eric the .5b wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 16:53
The only thing worse and more business-speaky than using "challenges" to refer to problems that one wants fixed is calling them "opportunities"

:lol:

Yeah, my boss is huge, HYUGE!, into whatever the equivalent modern pedagogical trend is for businesses, and every fuck-up is "an opportunity for improvement". He's trying all the time to get people to buy into decentralization, devolving decisions to the operators, and operators taking ownership of their processes.

The problem is 80% of the operators just want to punch in, do their time, and get out. Most of the manufacturing here doesn't require skills deeper than reedin' ritin' and 'rithmatic. And most of the operators would spell them that way.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Nov 2018, 10:09

Eric the .5b wrote:

Hahaha

In my work I frequently interview people and ask about their problems, which I euphemize as "challenges," and a substantial number of them will really make you try to feel *bad* about that by being like, "We look at them as opportunities...you negative bitch."
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Nov 2018, 10:22

Not making payroll is an opportunity to go out of business.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Nov 2018, 12:24

B.C. naturopath who prescribed rabid dog saliva remedy to a child surrenders her licence
A B.C. naturopath who made headlines last spring for treating a boy’s behaviour issues with a homeopathic remedy based on the saliva of a rabid dog has voluntarily given up her naturopath’s licence.

In a public notice posted to the website, the College of Naturopathic Physicians of British Columbia stated that it conducted an investigation into Anke Zimmermann. At a meeting, she expressed to the college that “she felt that complying with the College’s Bylaws and Policies, in particular, the Immunization Standard, made it difficult for her to serve her patients with her integrity.”
*snort*
B.C.’s provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, told Global News in April that she was unaware of any evidence that showed the remedy, called Lyssinum, had any therapeutic benefit.

“More importantly, I am concerned that if a product did actually contain what is suggested, saliva from a rabid dog, that would put the patient at risk of contracting rabies, a serious, fatal illness.”

Homeopathic remedies like Lyssinum are usually diluted many times so that little, if any, of the original substance remains. In a blog post on her website, Zimmermann said that the pills contained no virus of any kind, and that her critics “can’t have it both ways,” by saying that homeopathic medicine is both highly diluted and potentially dangerous.
Well, yeah. But it also indicates to me that 'Naturopaths' and 'Homeopaths' don't have a fucking clue. And why in hell would anyone go anywhere near saliva from a rabid dog?

(Coward that I am, I will not ask my friend who is a 'Licensed Homeopathic Practitioner' about this.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 09 Nov 2018, 12:29

After he was asked by the New York Times whether he felt 'like Silicon Valley has retained that idealism that struck you when you arrived here,' (Google CEO Sundar) Pichai responded: 'There's still that optimism, but it is tempered by a sense of deliberation.

'Things have changed quite a bit. We deliberate about things a lot more, and we are more thoughtful about what we do.

'But there's a deeper thing here, which is: Technology doesn't solve humanity's problems. It was always naive to think so.'
(https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... blems.html)

I was going to make a joke about how he presumably said this while sitting on the ground outside, naked, eating raw food, since technology doesn't solve our problems, but it turns out that apparently Pichai actually did have to sleep on the ground (in a house) as a boy. It strikes me as stunningly tone-deaf. I wonder if he would want to say that to the face of somebody with a pacemaker, or somebody who's infant didn't die of an easily cured disease, or for that matter somebody who gets to drink water from a faucet and use a flush toilet, rather than having to drink from a river next to where people have been shitting.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Nov 2018, 13:07

Technology solves a lot of problems, but it doesn't solve problems of human behavior, power and the abuse thereof, short-sightedness, etc.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JD

Post by JD » 09 Nov 2018, 13:13

thoreau wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 13:07
Technology solves a lot of problems, but it doesn't solve problems of human behavior, power and the abuse thereof, short-sightedness, etc.
He says we were "naive", but a) I don't think I ever heard somebody say "Technology will solve every problem of human behavior!" and b) if they said that, they weren't "naive" so much as "mind-bogglingly stupid".

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Nov 2018, 13:20

JD wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 13:13
thoreau wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 13:07
He says we were "naive", but a) I don't think I ever heard somebody say "Technology will solve every problem of human behavior!" and b) if they said that, they weren't "naive" so much as "mind-bogglingly stupid".
You may not have heard anyone say it, but I have no doubt that he picked up on a vibe of "Yeah, we're gonna fix the world, man!" in his own sojourn through Silicon Valley. Often the most mind-bogglingly stupid things are not explicitly said by utopians, but are strongly implied in their rhetoric and omissions.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JD

Post by JD » 09 Nov 2018, 14:35

At first I felt bad for this guy, and I still kind of do, because dying of rabies is supposed to be way up there on the "not fun" list. But then I came to this part:
"He would just catch [bats], put them outside," Sedgwick said. "I know that my mom has always thought that bats were really cute, so he would sit there and hold them for her and let her pet their little heads, and they would lick them, but they never really thought anything of it."
Catching wild bats and petting them is basically saying, "Hey Darwin, give me a nasty disease."

Shem

Post by Shem » 09 Nov 2018, 15:57

I originally read that as "rabid dog salvia" and was wondering why that homeopath was wasting a new strain of drugs on a sick kid.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Nov 2018, 01:43

nicole wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 10:09
Eric the .5b wrote:

Hahaha

In my work I frequently interview people and ask about their problems, which I euphemize as "challenges," and a substantial number of them will really make you try to feel *bad* about that by being like, "We look at them as opportunities...you negative bitch."
Which makes me wonder what the next step of the euphemism treadmill will be, so that people will smugly tut-tut about "opportunities"...
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 20 Nov 2018, 18:31

OFFS:
NASA will launch a safety review next year of SpaceX and Boeing Co. ahead of planned flights to the International Space Station with astronauts in capsules built by the two companies.

News of the safety review was first reported by the Washington Post. Citing officials familiar with the matter, the Post reported Tuesday that the review was prompted by SpaceX Chief Executive Elon Musk being seen in September smoking marijuana and sipping whiskey on a webcast livestreamed on YouTube.

NASA described the safety review as a “cultural assessment study” that would be conducted in coordination with SpaceX and Boeing to “ensure the companies are meeting NASA’s requirements for workplace safety, including the adherence to a drug-free environment.”
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/bu ... story.html
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Nov 2018, 19:10

Blues announce that they're going to "repeal" the Citizens United decision. (Dunno if that's just bad NPR copy, but I'm seeing idiots around the webs repeating that characterization.)

I presume it's just as much a knowingly-doomed effort as the absurd Ohio dealth-penalty-for-abortions law, which we can add to the pile of fuckery.

Maybe legislatures need a rule where if you're a submitter or sponsor for a bill that doesn't even make it to the executive's desk to veto, you have a cooling-off period before you can submit or sponsor another bill.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Nov 2018, 19:45

The dem's press releases have used the exact same language 'repeal Citizen's United' so it's not that NPR is misparsing it.

The most charitable take is that House will pass a campaign finance law that threads the needle between what CU outright prohibits and what a GOP controlled legislature has been willing to pass (which is basically nothing)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Nov 2018, 14:29

Government. Keeping us safe from box office and onion futures.

Box Office Bomb: The Short Life of Popcorn Prediction Markets
Lincoln’s provision was kept in Dodd-Frank and passed by the House on June 30, exactly two days after the Cantor Futures Exchange’s approval. The Senate vote followed July 15, and, six days after that, President Obama signed the Wall Street Reform Act into law, which changed the definition of a commodity to exclude exactly two things: onions and “motion picture box office receipts, or any index, measure, value or data related to such receipts.” The amendment was also made retroactive by 30 days, so that the CFTC’s approval of both exchanges would be void. All the years of work and all the millions invested gave box office futures a life span of just two days.