OFFS: The Forsakening

thoreau

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by thoreau » 30 Aug 2018, 17:41

Jennifer wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 17:32
thoreau wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 17:28
I doubt that BofA has an anti-immigrant agenda.

I do suspect that in the current climate just about every business will be more hyper-cautious about doing business with non-citizens. This will result in new rules as well as more stringent, punitive, and stupid application of existing rules. Because nobody wants to see a Tweet that goes "I have just learned that [corporation name] has done business with THOUSANDS of illegals! NOT FAIR! Citizens first! I've asked our great Cabinet Secretary [insert misspelled name here] to look into it AT ONCE!!! "
Yet the article shows that other megabanks including Citi and Wells Fargo have somehow managed to avoid freezing people's accounts. Furthermore, there are no U.S. citizenship requirements to have a bank account anyway.
That just means that this is not in response to some specific policy, or else you'd see the other banks doing the same.

More likely it's that somebody in the elaborate corporate bureaucracy got paranoid, turned some of their procedures up to 11, and there you go. Probably starts with "We need to make sure we're not seen as having anything to do with Cuba or Iran," then a bunch of procedures get tightened in the dumbest way possible, and there you go.

It is utterly predictable that when the government is run by a racist old man who's addicted to Fox News and views the executive branch as a tool for personal vendettas, some (not all) businesses will get paranoid and do stupid shit that hurts people.

Everyone please note that I am neither defending BofA nor asserting any explicit act on the part of Trump. I'm speculating on how crazy shit like this happens in the current environment.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Aug 2018, 17:54

More likely it's that somebody in the elaborate corporate bureaucracy got paranoid, turned some of their procedures up to 11, and there you go. Probably starts with "We need to make sure we're not seen as having anything to do with Cuba or Iran," then a bunch of procedures get tightened in the dumbest way possible, and there you go.
If so, then whoever got paranoid in said bureaucracy needs to be fired immediately. (Frankly, this would be a good addition to the "E. Warren and corporate accountability" discussion thread -- if I, an ordinary person not working behind a corporate veil, felt a moment of paranoia or dyspepsia or any other emotional unpleasantness, I sure as hell couldn't use that as an excuse to cut you off from your own money.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Aug 2018, 17:58

You seem to think I'm defending this. I'm explaining it in terms of current events.

My guess is that Painboy thinks I'm assigning too much blame to Trump.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Aug 2018, 18:01

Jennifer wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 17:17
Paulina Gonzalez, executive director of the California Reinvestment Coalition, told the Herald she disagrees.

“We work with consumer groups and financial counselors in immigrant communities across [California] and the country,” she said in an email. “This is new. We have Bank of America customers who we’ve spoken to who have never been asked this before last year. If they have this asked of them before they can show us proof.”

In recent months, her group has received several complaints about being asked for proof of citizenship; almost all have come from Bank of America customers, she said. An article in American Banker magazine also highlighted Bank of America as the one institution specifically facing backlash for its policies....
If you're citing this, that isn't proof. That's someone's opinion. It could all be pure coincidence. They also said they have received "several" complaints in recent "months." So 3-5 complaints over a few months? Not exactly an epidemic.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Aug 2018, 18:02

thoreau wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 17:58
You seem to think I'm defending this.
No, I'm just going into more detail about how utterly infuriating this whole thing is. Especially given the timing -- no, BoA is not to blame for Trump's trying to deny passports and revoke citizenship from Hispanics born near the border, but for fuck's sake! So Trump doesn't want them here but they also can't get a passport to leave the country AND can't get their own money to pay their way out?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Aug 2018, 18:45

Team Jennifer on this one. BofA are being total shits. I hope they get their balls sued off.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Aug 2018, 11:54

The latest in the Julia Salazar saga is really something, got to be the worst so far: https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles ... laims.html

For those not up on the story, Julia Salazar, a DSA-backed candidate for state senate in New York, has claimed to be a working class Jewish woman of color immigrant from Colombia raised by a single mom who had no college education, and basically all of those things have been exposed as false by the (((media))) over the past week or so. The story linked above doesn't get into the religious part very much but that was delved into in prior reporting.

I have to say the whole story makes me pretty angry and I hope she goes down for it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 31 Aug 2018, 11:55

But she is a Latina woman, yes?

That's all a Right-Thinking Liberal should care about. Those lies came about because something something toll of emotional labor.
--Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Aug 2018, 11:58

Half. Also she basically looks like me if I did my makeup differently.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 31 Aug 2018, 14:48

About Bank of America freezing accounts:
Bank spokesperson Christopher Feeney tells Fast Company that the institution "periodically" looks at its customers' accounts to determine if more up-to-date information is necessary. Due to Treasury Department sanctions against other countries, Bank of America asks customers about "country of citizenship" in order "to ensure adherence to these economic sanctions laws." But Feeney adds that "we do not ask for proof of citizenship."

Feeney's statement could explain why Moshfegh and Hernandez had their accounts frozen. The U.S. has been sanctioning Iran since the 1970s, and its embargo against Cuba has been in place since the 1950s. It's not hard to believe that in its efforts to comply with Treasury Department regulations, Bank of America simply messed up.

Besides, if the bank is working with the Trump administration to target undocumented immigrants, why do most of these cases involve either American citizens or legal immigrants? The case of Josh Collins particularly stands out. If you're cracking down on undocumented immigrants, why question the citizenship of a local news photographer in Kansas who's been banking with you for almost 20 years? If Bank of America doesn't want undocumented immigrants to access their money, someone needs to bring us such a story from an actual undocumented immigrant.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 Aug 2018, 15:00

That last paragraph there is not his strongest.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Aug 2018, 16:00

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Sep 2018, 10:21

Unless they share their names with bros on the OFAC list, why are they freezing accounts of random peeps with Persian or Cuban names. Do they want to do business in West LA/Miami?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Sep 2018, 13:26

Mo wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 10:21
Unless they share their names with bros on the OFAC list, why are they freezing accounts of random peeps with Persian or Cuban names. Do they want to do business in West LA/Miami?
Maybe it's an anti-guido move.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Sep 2018, 12:20

nicole wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 11:54
The latest in the Julia Salazar saga is really something, got to be the worst so far: https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles ... laims.html

For those not up on the story, Julia Salazar, a DSA-backed candidate for state senate in New York, has claimed to be a working class Jewish woman of color immigrant from Colombia raised by a single mom who had no college education, and basically all of those things have been exposed as false by the (((media))) over the past week or so. The story linked above doesn't get into the religious part very much but that was delved into in prior reporting.

I have to say the whole story makes me pretty angry and I hope she goes down for it.
There's a bizarre new addition to this story about Keith Hernandez and his ex-wife https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-a ... ested-2011

But also, the NYT reported yesterday that she even lied about graduating from Columbia. She's been "on leave" since 2014.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Sep 2018, 12:25

Related, some people who knew her at Columbia are saying that she was an active participant in the Jewish community, and in their minds that's good enough.

https://forward.com/opinion/letters/409 ... speak-out/

If the only question was whether she had a right to claim a Jewish religious affiliation/belief/whatever, I'd be like "Who cares? She's running for State Senate, not Head Rabbi?" But she's lying about a whole lot of other things as well.

I learned of this because it was shared an SJW type that I sometimes follow online. In hir mind the fact that Salazar was telling the truth about one thing is enough reason to discount all of her other lies.
--Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Sep 2018, 12:33

Yeah, I'm not sure if I could be more disgusted by her. Her story is too similar to mine.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Sep 2018, 12:47

A Jewish Elizabeth Warren?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Sep 2018, 12:58

Her lies go wayyyyyyyyy beyond Warren's.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Sep 2018, 12:59

I wonder how many of the people trying to rehabilitate Salazar would willingly invest money if Salazar started a business.
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Sep 2018, 13:01

nicole wrote:Her lies go wayyyyyyyyy beyond Warren's.
QFT
--Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Sep 2018, 13:41

Backfire effect.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Sep 2018, 16:07

Aresen wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 12:47
A Jewish Elizabeth Warren?
Sounds like more of a Jewish Rachel Dolezal.

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Sep 2018, 17:40

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Oct 2018, 22:16

One of my Facebook friends wrote:What I like about Rachel Maddow is how thorough she is.