OFFS: The Forsakening

Jennifer

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Jennifer » 02 Aug 2018, 15:36

nicole wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 15:23
Haha omg still not at the end but it can't get better than this, can it?
Did you say this before or after getting to this part: "Note: Around the time I made him move downstairs, my first and only (so far) novel had just failed to sell, his parents got tired of subsidizing our quixotic career aspirations." All this time, their upscale life was being subsidized by his parents.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Aug 2018, 16:30

Jennifer wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 15:25
nicole wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 15:19
The part in this where she just suddenly drops "dos babes" made me basically want to reach through the screen and kill her

I'm not even at the end yet but ffs

https://www.thecut.com/2018/08/ask-poll ... sband.html
Aaaigh! I just got to the dos babes part myself. That said, you have more self-control than I do; I wanted to reach through the screen and slap her well before that. "Waaa I really really wanted a baby and even told my husband I'd divorce him if he didn't gimme one RIGHT NOW but waaaa who knew babies were so expensive? And time-consuming too?"
Well, yeah, me too
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Aug 2018, 16:31

Jennifer wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 15:36
nicole wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 15:23
Haha omg still not at the end but it can't get better than this, can it?
Did you say this before or after getting to this part: "Note: Around the time I made him move downstairs, my first and only (so far) novel had just failed to sell, his parents got tired of subsidizing our quixotic career aspirations." All this time, their upscale life was being subsidized by his parents.
She's literally the worst person

Shem

Post by Shem » 02 Aug 2018, 18:48

Good advice, though.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 02 Aug 2018, 18:50

I'm going to tell myself that the letter isn't real and it's a troll created by a clever misogynist.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Aug 2018, 08:43

The advice was good. The letter writer could have been a few of the wife's grad student cohort. Many of them married well then were beset by life and or older rich husband getting bored/weird etc.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Aug 2018, 09:19

I mean the advice was pretty good but could have been soooooooo much harder on her. I hope her husband divorces her although it wouldn’t really be satisfying since he’d still have to pay child support.

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Aug 2018, 09:41

Presuming her account is somewhere near truth, neither of them covered themselves in glory.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Aug 2018, 12:57

dhex wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 09:41
Presuming her account is somewhere near truth, neither of them covered themselves in glory.
I kinda have to assume that her account is biased in her favor. Everyone's narrative paints themselves better and exaggerates/highlights the other's flaws to make the best possible case for themselves. I can't imagine that she's so self-absorbed as to act like that and yet suddenly be open, honest, fair, and unflinching in self-examination in her letter to not-dear-prudence.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Aug 2018, 12:59

nicole wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 09:19
I hope her husband divorces her although it wouldn’t really be satisfying since he’d still have to pay child support.
They can't even afford to maintain one household with finances in the black; they sure as hell can't afford to maintain two.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Aug 2018, 18:25

A man in Nashville shattered a woman's car windshield after she rejected his advances.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 05 Aug 2018, 06:32

That'll make her change her mind.

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Aug 2018, 08:35

Many have criticized Cantrell [the victim] for how she reacted despite the fact she couldn't see out of her windshield to drive away.
What is this criticism? "Oh, you might have killed this guy who was attacking you and smashing your car. That would have been horrible." Or "you shouldn't have gotten out of the car" that the guy was destroying around her? I think the situation's escalated past armchair quarterbacking at that point.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Aug 2018, 15:11

Hey, she shouldn't have hurt the poor man's feelings like that. She should have been flattered that he found her pretty enough to ask out!

JD

Post by JD » 07 Aug 2018, 13:50

I don't know where to put this story, but it's infuriating. And nothing really new, unfortunately.
Captive Audience: How Companies Make Millions Charging Prisoners to Send An Email
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Aug 2018, 13:58

JD wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 13:50
I don't know where to put this story, but it's infuriating. And nothing really new, unfortunately.
Captive Audience: How Companies Make Millions Charging Prisoners to Send An Email
THERE, UNDER FLUORESCENT lights, she scanned rows of brightly colored birthday cards to pick out the perfect greeting for her son—let’s call him Tim—who is imprisoned more than 100 miles from his mother’s home just outside New Orleans. The card she settled on was dark brown with trees and a birthday message that read, “For the best son in the world.”

Tim was in his 10th year of a 30-year prison sentence for an armed robbery he committed at age 17; he would not be able to see, let alone sit under or touch, a tree for the next 20 years. (Citing safety concerns, Jones asked that her son’s name not be used.) After Jones, her daughter, and her three grandchildren signed the card, she mailed it off, happy that Tim would know that his family was thinking of him.

Days later, the card was returned. Puzzled, she called the prison where she learned the facility had instituted a prohibition on greeting cards. If she wanted to send a card, a prison official told her, Jones would have to pass along her greeting electronically using JPay, a company bringing email into prison systems across the nation.
I am curious as to how that would sit with the "Postal Clause" in the US Constitution.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer