OFFS: The Forsakening

Hugh Akston

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Jul 2018, 18:40

It's worth pointing out that the result of enshrining marriage in the law is a $9m fine for a consensual sexual encounter where no one was harmed.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jul 2018, 18:44

Hugh Akston wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 18:40
It's worth pointing out that the result of enshrining marriage in the law is a $9m fine for a consensual sexual encounter where no one was harmed.
Technically speaking, this didn't happen because marriage is enshrined in the law, but because certain back-asswards states still criminalize adultery. The two do not necessarily go together.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Jul 2018, 02:32

Jennifer wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 18:40
Technically speaking, this didn't happen because marriage is enshrined in the law, but because certain back-asswards states still criminalize adultery. The two do not necessarily go together.
It’s also how they’re treating breach of this contract.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Jul 2018, 10:56

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... -to-repair
On July 25, the Massachusetts Senate approved a Resolution that would create a special commission that would research the feasibility of forcing device manufacturers to treat customers and independent repair shops the same as officially licensed repair outlets. According to the proposed study, that means providing customers and independent repair shops with “repair technical updates, diagnostic software, service access passwords, updates and corrections to firmware, and related documentation.”
Which I'm sure will cost those companies nothing.

Shem

Post by Shem » 30 Jul 2018, 12:00

Painboy wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 10:56
On July 25, the Massachusetts Senate approved a Resolution that would create a special commission that would research the feasibility of forcing device manufacturers to treat customers and independent repair shops the same as officially licensed repair outlets. According to the proposed study, that means providing customers and independent repair shops with “repair technical updates, diagnostic software, service access passwords, updates and corrections to firmware, and related documentation.”
Doesn't say they can't charge for the service. Just that they can't say "sorry, Natick already has a licensed repair outlet." Or they can just not licence repair outlets. The threat to IP is the bigger issue here.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Jul 2018, 12:29

Shem wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 12:00
The threat to IP is the bigger issue here.
I'm tempted to say or the threat to reputation and quality-control, but then I remember my experiences getting things serviced at officially licensed service outlets.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Jul 2018, 12:38

Shem wrote:
Painboy wrote:
Doesn't say they can't charge for the service. Just that they can't say "sorry, Natick already has a licensed repair outlet." Or they can just not licence repair outlets. The threat to IP is the bigger issue here.
I have to believe the state would require it be a "reasonable fee" or the like. Otherwise they could charge some outrageous fee for any independent repair shops and effectively get around the law.

Shem

Post by Shem » 30 Jul 2018, 12:44

Painboy wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 12:38
Shem wrote:
Painboy wrote:
I have to believe the state would require it be a "reasonable fee" or the like. Otherwise they could charge some outrageous fee for any independent repair shops and effectively get around the law.
Seems more likely they'd require the fees to be the same as what the licensed techs are paying. Less ambiguity, and forces competition.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Jul 2018, 14:04

Shem wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 12:44
Painboy wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 12:38
Shem wrote:
Painboy wrote:
Seems more likely they'd require the fees to be the same as what the licensed techs are paying. Less ambiguity, and forces competition.
Yes, this sounds like some basic FRAND stuff applied to licensing rather than patents.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Jul 2018, 15:08

If the spirit of the Mass law is like Magnuson Moss I'm for it.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Jul 2018, 22:34

An English immigrant has vowed to fight an order to pay for the "vandalism" of his 123-year-old antique piano, which had its ivory key tops removed and dumped by New Zealand's Department of Conservation (DoC).

This Ivory thing is bullshit that's gone way too far. Last time I was shopping for a bow, the owner of the shop lamented that people were having Ivory and tortoiseshell removed from their old bows, destroying antique works of art, just to avoid the possibility of this sort of misunderstanding even in situations where they are legal.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Jul 2018, 10:13

That will definitely prevent an elephant from getting killed.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 01 Aug 2018, 00:29

It's 2018. I thought tech companies would being doing something more dystopian, like a phallus -like gavage device would be forced down the worker’s throat and deliver a precise amount of calories worth of soylent. Maybe while a vacuum-device sucks out the bowels.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Aug 2018, 07:06

The real dystopia is on the other side of policies people enact to counter the imaginary dystopia.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Aug 2018, 16:51

JasonL wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 07:06
The real dystopia is on the other side of policies people enact to counter the imaginary dystopia.
Think of the children, JasonL. Think of the children.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 01 Aug 2018, 18:17

Apparently the Heaven's Gate cult *still* has a couple of true believers:
Asked by the Union-Tribune last year why they maintain the website, the members — who decline to identify themselves — said in an email that “they asked us to do it and we were honored to perform the task” and that its contents are “still timeless and we are here to provide it to those who ask.”

What does the group stand for to this day, according to the members?

“The simple understanding is that there is a real, physical level above the human one here on Earth,” they told The San Diego Union-Tribune. “It is not a spiritual existence. It is real individuals, in real bodies, in real crafts taking care of the issues of their planet.”

They also believe they will one day join their fellow group members who died in 1997.

“Yes, but probably not until our next reincarnation on this planet. We just have to live this life out and wait.”
And they aren't happy that a rapper Lil Uzi Vert is "is using and adapting our copyrights and trademarks without our permission and the infringement will be taken up with our attorneys”
Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 6.16.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 6.16.47 PM.png (500.04 KiB) Viewed 108 times
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opi ... story.html

Shem

Post by Shem » 01 Aug 2018, 19:01

Still the dopest cult logo out there. East your heart out, LDS church

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Aug 2018, 13:16

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Aug 2018, 14:08

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Aug 2018, 15:13

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Aug 2018, 15:19

The part in this where she just suddenly drops "dos babes" made me basically want to reach through the screen and kill her

I'm not even at the end yet but ffs

https://www.thecut.com/2018/08/ask-poll ... sband.html

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Aug 2018, 15:23

Haha omg still not at the end but it can't get better than this, can it? "Every day I live with the guilt of what all of this has done to our kids."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Aug 2018, 15:25

nicole wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 15:19
The part in this where she just suddenly drops "dos babes" made me basically want to reach through the screen and kill her

I'm not even at the end yet but ffs

https://www.thecut.com/2018/08/ask-poll ... sband.html
Aaaigh! I just got to the dos babes part myself. That said, you have more self-control than I do; I wanted to reach through the screen and slap her well before that. "Waaa I really really wanted a baby and even told my husband I'd divorce him if he didn't gimme one RIGHT NOW but waaaa who knew babies were so expensive? And time-consuming too?"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Aug 2018, 15:28

I told George, who promptly freaked the hell out. He’s never been super into change, and the previous nine years had severely drained his resources. He would not, could not, do it. And he was NOT happy about this less-tony address, despite the reality of his less-tony paycheck.

As with the baby ultimatum, I finally just told him: Look, I need this. Things are too hard. So move with me, or I’m moving alone. He moved with me, but under duress.
So this is the second time she told her husband "Make a major life change you don't want to make at all, else we're through." Jesus, what a wretched woman. And I can't even scream "Run away, George! Run as fast as you can!" because there are now two innocent kids involved.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Aug 2018, 15:34

He is still an insufferable control freak
Said the woman who believes one-sided ultimatums are the foundation of a decent relationship.