OFFS: The Forsakening

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22820
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Mo » 11 Jul 2018, 11:33

Warren wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 10:48
Shem wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 21:49
Tariffs. All the Wall Street jackasses have been looking at each other like "eh, nobody could be *that* stupid, right? Keep up the buying." Now that it's becoming clear that, yes, in fact, someone is that stupid, and he gets to control the economy until his party sacks up and forces him in line, they're going to freak.
Market undulations are not the economy. The tariffs have the potential to do serious damage, but Wall Street throwing a hissy fit isn't the same thing, and may even be the lever that lifts those tariffs. If they are lifted before the next congress, I don't even see any damage to international relations, certainly none that won't evaporate with the next administration.
The big issue is in a market like China. It took American business and farmers decades to get strong penetration in the market. There's decent potential that replacement of things like American soy with Brazilian soy will take years to regain lost share.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22820
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Mo » 11 Jul 2018, 11:34

In America, we don't wear t-shirts with flags of .... American territories.

The most surprising thing is that Irizarry's brother didn't get arrested for hassling the old dude.
Last edited by Mo on 11 Jul 2018, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11275
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Ellie » 11 Jul 2018, 11:34

Mo wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 11:33
strong penetration in the market
that's what she said
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7124
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Shem » 11 Jul 2018, 12:21

Mo wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 11:33
There's decent potential that replacement of things like American soy with Brazilian soy will take years to regain lost share.
If it goes, it's never coming back. Once the constituency is dead, the drive to subsidize will go with it, and we won't be able to beat Brazil's prices.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24230
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Warren » 11 Jul 2018, 15:11

Shem wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 12:21
Mo wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 11:33
There's decent potential that replacement of things like American soy with Brazilian soy will take years to regain lost share.
If it goes, it's never coming back. Once the constituency is dead, the drive to subsidize will go with it, and we won't be able to beat Brazil's prices.
And good riddance.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14341
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Aresen » 11 Jul 2018, 15:38

Mo wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 11:34
In America, we don't wear t-shirts with flags of .... American territories.

The most surprising thing is that Irizarry's brother didn't get arrested for hassling the old dude.
Luis Arroyo Jr., a Cook County Board Commissioner said he felt the officer “did not do his duty.”

“And I will not accept anything else but this officer’s termination,” Arroyo said.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will you settle for THREE weeks paid vacation instead of two?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14341
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Aresen » 16 Jul 2018, 17:24

Stevo Darkly put this up on his Facebook page.

This is a map from a real textbook.

Image
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26118
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by thoreau » 16 Jul 2018, 17:28

Trade wars are good and easy to win.

Book smarts mean nothing.

We have a dire STEM shortage.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11275
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Ellie » 16 Jul 2018, 17:33

I saw that. All I noticed, until somebody else pointed it out, was that 15 was in two categories simultaneously. I am not a Geography Type of Person.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12885
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Highway » 16 Jul 2018, 17:48

I also noticed that there's a dark blue color that's not in the legend. But that's cause I'm used to reviewing maps, and assuming that the people who made them aren't gigantic fucking idiots.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6713
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Jadagul » 16 Jul 2018, 18:29

Highway wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 17:48
I also noticed that there's a dark blue color that's not in the legend. But that's cause I'm used to reviewing maps, and assuming that the people who made them aren't gigantic fucking idiots.
Also a lavender color that also isn't on the legend.

Also what the fuck do any of those words mean? The entire map is a mess. It's probably wrong but it's hard to tell because before you can conclude that it's wrong, you have to figure out what it's claiming in the first place.

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14341
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Aresen » 16 Jul 2018, 18:33

Jadagul wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 18:29
Highway wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 17:48
I also noticed that there's a dark blue color that's not in the legend. But that's cause I'm used to reviewing maps, and assuming that the people who made them aren't gigantic fucking idiots.
Also a lavender color that also isn't on the legend.

Also what the fuck do any of those words mean? The entire map is a mess. It's probably wrong but it's hard to tell because before you can conclude that it's wrong, you have to figure out what it's claiming in the first place.
You did notice that's not South America, didn't you?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6713
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Jadagul » 16 Jul 2018, 18:35

Aresen wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 18:33
Jadagul wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 18:29
Highway wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 17:48
I also noticed that there's a dark blue color that's not in the legend. But that's cause I'm used to reviewing maps, and assuming that the people who made them aren't gigantic fucking idiots.
Also a lavender color that also isn't on the legend.

Also what the fuck do any of those words mean? The entire map is a mess. It's probably wrong but it's hard to tell because before you can conclude that it's wrong, you have to figure out what it's claiming in the first place.
You did notice that's not South America, didn't you?
Oh, no, I didn't. Oh god, that's even worse.

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8919
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by nicole » 16 Jul 2018, 18:41

I'm also pretty sure there's more than one type of perching bird in the US. But I mean, I'm no ornithologist.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24230
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Warren » 16 Jul 2018, 19:28

So nobody else noticed the surprisingly high density of perching birds in the middle of the Sahara Desert? ;)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3645
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Painboy » 16 Jul 2018, 20:54

I would really like to know the history (no matter how horrifying) of how this thing came to be.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26118
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by thoreau » 16 Jul 2018, 22:05

Painboy wrote:I would really like to know the history (no matter how horrifying) of how this thing came to be.
Without a doubt there were several Ed.D.s involved.

And probably something something multiculturalism.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7124
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Shem » 17 Jul 2018, 01:08

It's an "apply the scientific method to real data" factbox, with the questions cut out. The edition in the book didn't have Africa, but was otherwise the same. It also had a citation for the information. I suspect what happened was, they made the factbox and then simplified the data to make the exercise easier, and the map actually readable. There's a link to their citation in Stevo's post on FB, but I'm not a subscriber to Science, so I can't read it.

(The most recent edition of the book doesn't even have a section 3 in chapter 5.)
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10250
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JD » 17 Jul 2018, 11:20

nicole wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 18:41
I'm also pretty sure there's more than one type of perching bird in the US. But I mean, I'm no ornithologist.
If by "perching birds" they mean the order Passeriformes*, then there are over 50 families, and some of those families have over 50 species each.

* Passerines have three toes facing forwards and one back, and no webbing. But a lot of birds have similar feet and are not passerines, for reasons I don't quite understand. Also, plenty of birds literally perch, but are not passerines, like hawks and parrots.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1474
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Kwix » 17 Jul 2018, 14:07

Apparently cancer and dementia are time travelling diseases.
A village 150 miles downstream from a proposed gold mine "passed the resolution (to oppose its construction) due to our elders having cancers, and now we're finding out more on these elders having dementia in our villages".
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15358
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by dhex » 17 Jul 2018, 15:21

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xwkz ... he-murders

"I'm a better person than a fictional asshole having a psychotic break"
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14341
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Aresen » 17 Jul 2018, 15:24

Kwix wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 14:07
Apparently cancer and dementia are time travelling diseases.
A village 150 miles downstream from a proposed gold mine "passed the resolution (to oppose its construction) due to our elders having cancers, and now we're finding out more on these elders having dementia in our villages".
New Age Medicine.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3645
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Painboy » 17 Jul 2018, 17:30

dhex wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 15:21
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xwkz ... he-murders

"I'm a better person than a fictional asshole having a psychotic break"
Jeebus. What's sad is that actually could have been a decent article. Instead of beating off to his own wokeness he could have talked more about how the area had changed and why. That might have been interesting.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15888
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jul 2018, 18:30

Painboy wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 17:30
dhex wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 15:21
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xwkz ... he-murders

"I'm a better person than a fictional asshole having a psychotic break"
Jeebus. What's sad is that actually could have been a decent article. Instead of beating off to his own wokeness he could have talked more about how the area had changed and why. That might have been interesting.
Speaking of wokeness gone wrong:

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14341
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Aresen » 17 Jul 2018, 18:41

lunchstealer wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 18:30

Speaking of wokeness gone wrong:

<video clip deleted>
Saw that and laughed. I can think of a few people who need that training. Similar programs need to be implemented for Smug Canadians, "Real 'Muricans"®, Xtian fundies and others.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests