OFFS: The Forsakening

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22643
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL » 14 Jun 2018, 15:28

Everyone remember to wear your Sorting Hat. Safety first!

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6696
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by tr0g » 14 Jun 2018, 15:39

I imagine a few minutes in the search box at your favorite pr0n streaming site will show you how it's done, Ellie.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24630
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2018, 19:38

tr0g wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 15:39
I imagine a few minutes in the search box at your favorite pr0n streaming site will show you how it's done, Ellie.
He's not wrong. OTOH most of the results do involve a lot of noses and foreheads bumping.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18015
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by dbcooper » 16 Jun 2018, 13:04

Frankfurt is one of the most boring and crappiest little towns in central europe, the idea that London City boys would move there is extraordinarily retarded.

After my 27 hr flight I was stuck in the only decent bar/club in that town. I drank good beer, and had a surprisingly good steak tartare, but the music they played was so fucking bad. It was like a worst version of not playing the chorus of Automatic by the Pointer Sisters.

Fucking diabolical.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13493
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Kolohe » 16 Jun 2018, 13:16

That was DC's reputation 40 years ago.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23107
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Mo » 17 Jun 2018, 10:29

dbcooper wrote:Frankfurt is one of the most boring and crappiest little towns in central europe, the idea that London City boys would move there is extraordinarily retarded.

After my 27 hr flight I was stuck in the only decent bar/club in that town. I drank good beer, and had a surprisingly good steak tartare, but the music they played was so fucking bad. It was like a worst version of not playing the chorus of Automatic by the Pointer Sisters.

Fucking diabolical.
They’ll move there if their firms say go to Frankfurt or find a new job. Especially if enough firms move there.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 17 Jun 2018, 14:40

Mo wrote:
17 Jun 2018, 10:29
dbcooper wrote:Frankfurt is one of the most boring and crappiest little towns in central europe, the idea that London City boys would move there is extraordinarily retarded.

After my 27 hr flight I was stuck in the only decent bar/club in that town. I drank good beer, and had a surprisingly good steak tartare, but the music they played was so fucking bad. It was like a worst version of not playing the chorus of Automatic by the Pointer Sisters.

Fucking diabolical.
.

They’ll move there if their firms say go to Frankfurt or find a new job. Especially if enough firms move there.
I am trying to imagine a world where finance people aren't huge dorks.

They'll fucking love it cause prostitution is legal.

"Work eighty hours, pretend like you are a winner when you pay for sex. Dream big. Marry a boring model who is bored with you. Brass ring!"

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14617
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Aresen » 17 Jun 2018, 15:01

Germans disparagingly refer to Frankfurt as "Mainzhattan".
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22643
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL » 28 Jun 2018, 14:10

This is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while. US listed as 10th most dangerous country in the world for women. Worse than Iran.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wo ... 45f179b26f

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14617
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Aresen » 28 Jun 2018, 14:13

JasonL wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 14:10
This is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while. US listed as 10th most dangerous country in the world for women. Worse than Iran.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wo ... 45f179b26f
It's hufflepufflepost, what did you expect?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22643
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL » 28 Jun 2018, 14:26

Picked up by CNN, MSN, CBS, RT ... it did its job but it makes me murderous.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26410
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by thoreau » 28 Jun 2018, 14:29

JasonL wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 14:10
This is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while. US listed as 10th most dangerous country in the world for women. Worse than Iran.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wo ... 45f179b26f
This is a totally logical conclusion if you believe that a third of all female college students are raped.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22643
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL » 28 Jun 2018, 14:31

And have never traveled anywhere else on the earth to get a sense of how that compares.

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6799
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Jadagul » 28 Jun 2018, 14:44

Huh, I was expecting the US to be dinged on health care, but it scores fine there. They ranked it third in the world in sexual violence, though, tied with Syria. And sixth in non-sexual violence.

Hm, it looks like they asked people an open ended "what is the worst country in the world for sexual violence?" and "what are the five most dangerous countries for women?" So there are probably a lot of anchoring effects and availability bias effects; I somehow doubt that anyone sat down and asked themselves whether Afghanistan or the U.S. was safer for women, and concluded the answer was Afghanistan.

This does kind of remind me of the time Forbes was going to rank my undergrad as the most dangerous campus in America. (My campus was the sort where people would tell you, loudly in public, that they left their ground-floor windows unlocked in case they accidentally locked themselves out of their rooms). Apparently the story is that every time a drunk student stole a security golf cart and drove it off campus, this was technically grand theft auto, and we actually reported it that way. So we had some absurdly high rate of grand theft auto per capita.

I think we eventually got the story killed or something.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22643
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL » 28 Jun 2018, 15:00

Haha you think this has anything to do with question design and not activism.

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1530
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Kwix » 28 Jun 2018, 15:03

Jadagul wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 14:44
Apparently the story is that every time a drunk student stole a security golf cart and drove it off campus, this was technically grand theft auto, and we actually reported it that way. So we had some absurdly high rate of grand theft auto per capita.
I don't remember the golf cart mod for GTA.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6799
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Jadagul » 28 Jun 2018, 15:08

JasonL wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 15:00
Haha you think this has anything to do with question design and not activism.
Obviously it has something to do with question design.

Normally these surveys collect data on like fifty or sixty different factual questions, and then average them together by some weighting. And there's a lot of choices to be made here; when the U.S. suffers on these sorts of things it's generally because they put "universal health care" on the list in a highly-weighted way.

But while that methodology leaves a lot of room for thumbs on the scale, or just imposing a particular value framework, it has some limits on how far it can be twisted as long as your sources of data are decent.

So I went to the site to find out what criteria and weightings they were using, and the answer was "they weren't; they just asked for names". Which is of course the way you maximize activism and bias, since there are no guard rails on anything. Then the anchoring effect just makes it worse.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22643
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL » 28 Jun 2018, 15:14

What they were doing is saying "we need something advocacy wise that puts the US lets say 10th on a List of Awfulness that Will Shock the Conscience". Who wants to play? Okay here's our list of experts go.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16088
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Jun 2018, 15:40

JasonL wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 15:14
What they were doing is saying "we need something advocacy wise that puts the US lets say 10th on a List of Awfulness that Will Shock the Conscience". Who wants to play? Okay here's our list of experts go.
Yeah, if #10 were South Africa instead of USA, they'd get at least two orders of magnitude fewer clicks. Possibly four.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14617
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Aresen » 28 Jun 2018, 15:48

JasonL wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 15:14
What they were doing is saying "we need something advocacy wise that puts the US lets say 10th on a List of Awfulness that Will Shock the Conscience". Who wants to play? Okay here's our list of experts go.
Of course. And it will be quoted for the next five years as if it were a meaningful study.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26410
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by thoreau » 28 Jun 2018, 22:09

I spent the evening with some relatives whom I really like, but God help us all, they honestly believe that there was hardly any recovery from the 2008-2009 recession until Trump took office.

They're educated. They read the business section of the paper. And they believe this.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16088
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Jun 2018, 03:06

thoreau wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 22:09
I spent the evening with some relatives whom I really like, but God help us all, they honestly believe that there was hardly any recovery from the 2008-2009 recession until Trump took office.
well yeah but you can't expect...
They're educated. They read the business section of the paper. And they believe this.
OH FUCK BURN IT ALL DOWN
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24630
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2018, 10:13

thoreau wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 22:09
I spent the evening with some relatives whom I really like, but God help us all, they honestly believe that there was hardly any recovery from the 2008-2009 recession until Trump took office.

They're educated. They read the business section of the paper. And they believe this.
It depends on what you consider meaningful recovery. If you look at labor force participation rates, then your friends are wrong because Trump taking office still hasn't resulted in a recovery from 2008.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 6257
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Dangerman » 29 Jun 2018, 10:31

Those survey respondents should go to any America that isn't North America and be female there.

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7184
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Shem » 29 Jun 2018, 16:00

Warren wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 10:13
thoreau wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 22:09
I spent the evening with some relatives whom I really like, but God help us all, they honestly believe that there was hardly any recovery from the 2008-2009 recession until Trump took office.

They're educated. They read the business section of the paper. And they believe this.
It depends on what you consider meaningful recovery. If you look at labor force participation rates, then your friends are wrong because Trump taking office still hasn't resulted in a recovery from 2008.
It is when you control for age. Most of the difference is a combination of teenagers not working anymore and older people retiring sooner. The 2006 and 2016 numbers for 25-54 year olds are almost unchanged (actually 3/10ths of a precent higher).
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests