OFFS: The Forsakening

Mo

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Mo » 20 Apr 2018, 12:14

They are using gorilla glue in new and interesting ways.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 20 Apr 2018, 13:00

I find the wording of the question to be a little weird.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Apr 2018, 13:51

The question is horribly phrased. 40% either answered "uncertain" or did not answer at all. Further, a "disagree" answer is perfectly in line with a belief that it would neither improve nor reduce the chances of good policy.
Nothing to see here. Move along.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Apr 2018, 10:32

Fuck Microsoft, and FUCK IP altogether.

Electronics-recycling innovator is going to prison for trying to extend computers' lives
The appeals court upheld a federal district judge's ruling that the discs Eric Lundgren made to restore Microsoft operating systems had a value of $25 apiece, even though the software they contained could be downloaded free and the discs could only be used on computers that already had a valid Microsoft license.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Apr 2018, 11:35

Warren wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 10:32

Electronics-recycling innovator is going to prison for trying to extend computers' lives
The appeals court upheld a federal district judge's ruling that the discs Eric Lundgren made to restore Microsoft operating systems had a value of $25 apiece, even though the software they contained could be downloaded free and the discs could only be used on computers that already had a valid Microsoft license.
While I'm all in on getting rid of IP, Microsoft's involvement in this case seems pretty minor. It was a federal sting operation, not some civil suit. From what I can tell Microsoft just provided some figures. They actually reduced the quoted dollar value of what the government was initially charging the guy with. Granted I have some bias in that area. Regardless it's still straight bullshit.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Apr 2018, 11:47

Painboy wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 11:35
Warren wrote:

While I'm all in on getting rid of IP, Microsoft's involvement in this case seems pretty minor. It was a federal sting operation, not some civil suit. From what I can tell Microsoft just provided some figures. They actually reduced the quoted dollar value of what the government was initially charging the guy with. Granted I have some bias in that area. Regardless it's still straight bullshit.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 30 Apr 2018, 19:32

Warren wrote:

I can see a case for IP (details are the devil). But why was this a "Federal Sting" anyway? It should be a civil, not criminal matter, instigated by Microsoft if they give a crap (hint, they didn't). But no, it's a Federal felony investigated and prosecuted by We The People. 100% bullshit.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 May 2018, 14:16

People are trying to ban prostitution in Nevada.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-nev ... story.html

Yes, I'm sure that will work out great.

I prefer this vision for Nevada:

https://politics.theonion.com/nevada-to ... 1819566390
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 May 2018, 14:54

I knew that the brothels in NV were all out in the middle of nowhere, but I don't think I realized how few there are overall.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 07 May 2018, 12:02

A few days behind the curve on this, but a White high school student in Utah wore a cheongsam to her prom. Predictably enough, Twitter exploded with ZOMG CULTURAL APPROPRIATION, MY CULTURE IS NOT YOUR COSTUME, etc.

The amusing part is that actual Asian people in Asia don't seem to give two shits; their reaction has mostly been "Cool, somebody likes something that's traditionally Asian." And what's really amusing (slash disgusting about the idiocy of the twits) is that the cheongsam isn't even all that traditionally Asian; it was invented in the 1920s for rich Hong Kong women, and some historians think it has roots in Western couture as well.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 May 2018, 17:34

From the Health-Inspectors-will-not-rest-until-everyone's-souls-have-been-destroyed files,

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/lif ... story.html
Should hardware stores offer free bags of freshly popped popcorn?

While that may look like a warm, welcoming treat, free popcorn is a threat to public health — or so argue county officials. Last month, health inspectors raided La Jolla’s Meanley & Son Hardware, warning that its old-fashioned red popcorn machine is a germy outlaw.

“They explained we didn’t have the proper permits,” said Bob Meanley, whose shop had handed out 30 to 40 bags every day for about 25 years.

To comply with the 1984 California Uniform Retail Food Facility Law, Meanley & Son would need to install a three-basin sink to clean and sterilize the popcorn popper. Also required: regular inspections, just like a restaurant.

Meanley declined and instead rolled the offending machine into storage. Thus ended a tradition he had started 25 years ago.

“I hate to take away something that our customers really like,” said Meanley, whose grandparents founded the hardware store in 1948. “On the other hand, this whole thing has made me more aware of our liability.”
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 May 2018, 14:28

I don't care about that tbh. If you serve food, you have to keep minimal safety/cleanliness standards or gtfo.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 May 2018, 14:33

Disagree. Cultures with permissive food service norms have the best street food. Q.E.D.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 May 2018, 14:43

I bet your kitchen is not operating under 'permissive food service norms'. Q. E. D.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 May 2018, 14:45

:oops: Mine is.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 May 2018, 14:49

Dangerman wrote:
21 May 2018, 14:28
I don't care about that tbh. If you serve food, you have to keep minimal safety/cleanliness standards or gtfo.
I bet you're a lot of fun at a barbeque.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 May 2018, 14:50

I touch with my bare hands every piece of protein I'll put on your plate. Bank on that.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 May 2018, 14:52

Yeah but you wash your hands and that meat will be cooked to temp right? And your knives and cutting board have been cleaned beforehand?

Can't tell if serious

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 May 2018, 15:03

Dangerman wrote:
21 May 2018, 14:52
Yeah but you wash your hands and that meat will be cooked to temp right? And your knives and cutting board have been cleaned beforehand?
Probably?

There is something to Bourdain's assertion that if you're not willing to get the shits, maybe resign yourself to the more boring foods, but know you're missing out.

I'm far less concerned about food-borne pathogens than I am about water-borne pathogens. Frickin' giardia scares me.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 May 2018, 15:05

That meat will not be cooked to USDA temp specs, no. 165F is a joke and a set of chains. I separate raw protein from non protein cutting and I wash knives and board yes. I wash my hands after handling raw but not really at any point after that unless I have oil I want to get rid of.

To be for real honest, I only really super care about cross contamination and most of the rest of it is meh.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 May 2018, 15:52

lunchstealer wrote:
21 May 2018, 15:03
There is something to Bourdain's assertion that if you're not willing to get the shits, maybe resign yourself to the more boring foods, but know you're missing out.
Agreed. I'm willing to turn in my decoder ring over some food safety laws. I don't hate that restaurants have to meet certain standards. But for something like a hardware store popcorn machine, there should be an option for customers to take the risk. If you have to, put up a sign saying "This machine does not meet food safety laws X and Y and Z, eat at your own risk." Let people have their fun without requiring everyone to have a three-part sink.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 May 2018, 17:27

Dangerman wrote:
21 May 2018, 14:52

Can't tell if serious
I have seen Jason's kitchen. I've watched him prepare food in it. I have eaten food he's prepared.
I dare say your average Pad Thai vendor on the streets of Bangkok adheres to higher standards of sanitation.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 21 May 2018, 20:01

JasonL wrote:
21 May 2018, 14:33
Disagree. Cultures with permissive food service norms have the best street food. Q.E.D.
Agree 100%
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 22 May 2018, 16:01

Apropos a local bar, F Street Station, does not offer free cheese:

(sorry about large linked image, can't figure out how to resize)
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 May 2018, 17:13

The solution is to have voluntary standards with complying restaurants permitted to advertise as such and extremely stiff fines for fraud.