OFFS: The Forsakening

nicole

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by nicole » 19 Mar 2018, 15:14

Maybe we should just have a thread on Cambridge Analytica at this point: https://www.channel4.com/news/cambridge ... estigation
In one exchange, when asked about digging up material on political opponents, Mr Nix said they could “send some girls around to the candidate’s house”, adding that Ukrainian girls “are very beautiful, I find that works very well”.

In another he said: “We’ll offer a large amount of money to the candidate, to finance his campaign in exchange for land for instance, we’ll have the whole thing recorded, we’ll blank out the face of our guy and we post it on the Internet.”
The admissions were filmed at a series of meetings at London hotels over four months, between November 2017 and January 2018. An undercover reporter for Channel 4 News posed as a fixer for a wealthy client hoping to get candidates elected in Sri Lanka.

Mr Nix told our reporter: “…we’re used to operating through different vehicles, in the shadows, and I look forward to building a very long-term and secretive relationship with you.”
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 20 Mar 2018, 13:07

I am so very, very glad Madison lost out and we have the first amendment:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 65301.html
A man who taught his girlfriend's pet pug to give Nazi salutes and then posted the footage on YouTube, has been found guilty of a hate crime.

Mark Meechan, of Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, will be sentenced in April after a Scottish court found him guilty of communicating a "grossly offensive" video.

The 30-year-old taught his girlfriend's pug to react to the words "gas the Jews", which he repeated 23 times in the short video that he uploaded to his YouTube channel last year.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Mar 2018, 23:20

Jeopardy clue:

“The outcry of a very challenged young man, talking about challenges in his personal life, that led him to this point."

Answer:
What is ‘ways that an act of terrorism by a Muslim or black dude would never be described’?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Mar 2018, 06:07

Mo wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 23:20
Jeopardy clue:

“The outcry of a very challenged young man, talking about challenges in his personal life, that led him to this point."

Answer:
What is ‘ways that an act of terrorism by a Muslim or black dude would never be described’?
Sometimes I feel like I am the only one with the appropriate level of racism towards my own kind.

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Mar 2018, 10:44

Mo wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 23:20
Jeopardy clue:

Answer:
"outcry" and "challenged" - it's an insanely bizarre way to describe a guy who blew people up. those weren't challenges - he was an asshole.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Mar 2018, 11:21

Sandy wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 13:07
I am so very, very glad Madison lost out and we have the first amendment:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 65301.html
A man who taught his girlfriend's pet pug to give Nazi salutes and then posted the footage on YouTube, has been found guilty of a hate crime.

Mark Meechan, of Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, will be sentenced in April after a Scottish court found him guilty of communicating a "grossly offensive" video.

The 30-year-old taught his girlfriend's pug to react to the words "gas the Jews", which he repeated 23 times in the short video that he uploaded to his YouTube channel last year.
My sarcasm detector is broken. I'll put it this way:
I don't want to live in a world with malformed canines giving the Nazi salute on YouTube. But I do want to live in a world where malformed canines are allowed to give the Nazi salute on YouTube.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 22 Mar 2018, 11:26

That post was 100% sincere. Not having an explicit free speech guarantee leads to bad things, and convicting a guy of a felony for teaching a pug to raise a paw at a picture of Hitler is one of them. Especially when he says in the beginning of the video, "and what's one of the worst things I can think of? A Nazi."
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 22 Mar 2018, 12:59

Due to recent events, I've been thinking things like "maybe I should just go work on an oil rig / join the Foreign Legion / renounce the material world and walk the earth learning Kung-fu."

Maybe I should move to the UK and start a patreon that funds my efforts to get sent to a Scottish jail for screening The Dictator and Downfall Bunker memes in public. I mean, Scottish jail is probably a lot like Canadian jail, which Trailer Park Boys has taught me is actually pretty good.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 22 Mar 2018, 13:02

Sandy wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 11:26
That post was 100% sincere. Not having an explicit free speech guarantee leads to bad things, and convicting a guy of a felony for teaching a pug to raise a paw at a picture of Hitler is one of them. Especially when he says in the beginning of the video, "and what's one of the worst things I can think of? A Nazi."
Yeah the whole thing was done as a joke. At worst it's in poor taste. It should never have become a legal matter.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Mar 2018, 14:45

The part I hate most is ... everyone knows it was a joke. Like zero people think he's a nazi. That's how these things work, context and meaning take a back seat to the potential for offense and choking of allowable speech is a casualty. There is no burden on the listener to be reasonable in their interpretation.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 22 Mar 2018, 14:59

JasonL wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 14:45
The part I hate most is ... everyone knows it was a joke. Like zero people think he's a nazi. That's how these things work, context and meaning take a back seat to the potential for offense and choking of allowable speech is a casualty. There is no burden on the listener to be reasonable in their interpretation.
Rules is rules and laws shouldn't have exceptions. If you can't enforce them evenly then it shouldn't be a law.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Mar 2018, 15:01

Kwix wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 14:59
JasonL wrote:
Rules is rules and laws shouldn't have exceptions. If you can't enforce them evenly then it shouldn't be a law.
Let's see if it applies to the Labour Party Front Bench.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jake

Post by Jake » 22 Mar 2018, 15:01

Kwix wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 14:59
Emphasis added. :)
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Mar 2018, 15:07

JasonL wrote:
But he's giving cover to actual Nazi's. I think that may be worse than being an actual Nazi now.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Mar 2018, 15:08

What does giving cover mean here?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Mar 2018, 15:27

JasonL wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 15:08
"We don't like you."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Mar 2018, 17:11

Aresen wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 15:27
JasonL wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 15:08
"We don't like you."
It's not even that. The language police are happy to inflict their wrath on people they liked just as soon as they could find something to hang their fauxrage on. It means something closer to "I have a big hammer and everybody looks like a nail to me".

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Mar 2018, 02:15

Ironically, Dankula is living in the world he wants. He wants antifa and leftist groups classified as terrorist organizations. As frequently happens, sometime you get what you want, good and hard.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 23 Mar 2018, 04:44

Mo wrote:Ironically, Dankula is living in the world he wants. He wants antifa and leftist groups classified as terrorist organizations. As frequently happens, sometime you get what you want, good and hard.
Right, because that totally wasn’t a reaction to being railroaded for a clear joke while antifa organizes black bloc events to smash windows and set cars on fire in Germany.

I don’t agree with him, but you’re reversing cause and effect.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Mar 2018, 11:01

I don’t think he should be arrested, but he wanted antifa and liberal allies labeled terrorists. The second part would include non-violent folks, not just the violent black blocers.

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Apr 2018, 09:36

Well, well, well. Look who all of the sudden finds justification for occupational licensing. I'm shocked that economists are not the purely logical robots that the claim to be.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Apr 2018, 09:48

That’s a lot of disagreement. I was surprised by Autor

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Apr 2018, 11:24

I'm not sure if everyone answered the question they thought they were answering (or we think they are answering).

For instance
Kenneth Judd Stanford Strongly Disagree 8
Let POTUS choose the people he wants. His choices will face public scrutiny. Besides, there is a big supply of craven incompetent PhDs.
doesn't this seem like an anti-"occupational licensing for economists" stand?

Or maybe some are answering the question very literally and orthogonal to the occupational licensing premise?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Apr 2018, 11:30

JasonL wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 09:48
It wasn't universal, but do you think the distribution would look like that for licensing the presidential barber?

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Apr 2018, 11:33

Mo wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 11:30
JasonL wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 09:48
It wasn't universal, but do you think the distribution would look like that for licensing the presidential barber?
Well, again, you're going to get repsonses like : they're already doing such a shit job, and Donald is going to keep on doing what he's doing, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex