JD

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JD » 21 Oct 2017, 11:19

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Oct 2017, 11:53

Every time I hear about Mugabe I'm like "Wait, he's still alive?"

Didn't he endorse Trump?
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Oct 2017, 12:01

JD wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 11:19
Robert Fucking Mugabe has been appointed as a "goodwill ambassador" to the WHO. You have got to be fucking kidding me.
The only thing funnier than US politics is UN politics.

Plus what thoreau said. Mugabe's grave is one I'd like to piss on.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

JD

Post by JD » 22 Oct 2017, 22:34

Mugabe's appointment has been rescinded. Really, you just have to wonder. How is somebody in the UN and yet that unaware of how Mugabe is perceived?
Tedros had described Mugabe’s Zimbabwe as “a country that places universal health coverage and health promotion at the center of its policies”
"Health promotion", that's a funny way to describe "Burst Pipes, Contaminated Wells, and Open Defecation in Zimbabwe’s Capital""
The Zimbabwean government’s response to the cholera outbreak was characterized by denial, neglect, and cover-up. Overall, between 2008 and 2009, 100,000 people in the country fell ill with cholera. It was Africa’s worst cholera epidemic in 15 years.

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Oct 2017, 09:25

"Austria's new ban on covering the face was meant to target the burqa. But the law has had police responding to a Lego Ninja, a man dressed as a shark and even the parliamentary mascot."

http://www.dw.com/en/austrian-burqa-ban ... a-41059204
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 24 Oct 2017, 14:06

Mo wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 09:25
"Austria's new ban on covering the face was meant to target the burqa. But the law has had police responding to a Lego Ninja, a man dressed as a shark and even the parliamentary mascot."
"The laws were written in such a way as to be religiously neutral, but that has led to widespread confusion in the German-speaking nation. The law allows facial covering for professional reasons, medical reasons, to protect against the cold and for traditional occasions."

So it was written in a "religiously neutral" way that basically says that only wearing a face covering for religious or cultural reasons is forbidden. Shades of Anatole France: Muslims, Christians, Jews, and atheists are all equally forbidden from wearing the burqa.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Oct 2017, 13:42

Madame Butterfly attracting controversy is nothing new, but usually it's from the left- this time, it's patrons complaining and withdrawing support because the flag touched the ground:
We recently attended Opera San Luis’ performance of “Madama Butterfly” and were enjoying it until the final scene. That’s when we were stunned — appalled, really — to see the grief-stricken character Cio-Cio San grab the American flag off its pole (stage right), throw it onto the floor, then drag it as she sang.

There were audible gasps in the audience, indicating there were many others among us deeply offended by such abuse of our flag, which is never to touch the ground.
From the director's response explaining the context:
In short, MB is a tragic tale about an older American sailor, Pinkerton, who purchases the marriage of a 15-year-old Japanese Geisha girl. After being married three weeks, Pinkerton sets sail, not return for three years. During that time, his wife Cio-Cio San gives birth to their son, longing for the day of his return when he will bring them to America.

When Pinkerton finally does return to Japan, it’s with his new wife, and they request custody of the child. The 18-year-old Cio-Cio San is naturally overwhelmed with grief. All of her hopes are shattered, she lashes out, pulling the flag off its staff, draping it around her and committing ritual suicide by harikari.
So a man *buys* a wife (with ill-intent), knocks her up, abandons her and wants to steal the child- but the offensive thing is the flag touched the ground? What the fuck planet are these people living on?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 25 Oct 2017, 13:44

Betcha most of them have articles of clothing with the flag on them.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Oct 2017, 13:50

It's the right-wing version of PC.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Oct 2017, 14:37

I'd say I just don't believe about the gasping but you'd be surprised what opera audiences act like.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 26 Oct 2017, 08:46

Wait a Japanese women named Cio-Cio San? I'm just a dabbler in Japanese culture, but that doesn't match any kind of naming convention I've seen. Makes me think of cringy racist Americans talking pidgin "ching chong" like all Asians are Chinese.

This is where I check and find out that the character is Japanese, but it takes place in China/Vietnam/somewhere and the name actually makes sense given blah blah.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 26 Oct 2017, 08:52

More like nineteenth-century Americans had no really good idea what Japanese names sounded like. It's partially based on a semi-autobiographical 1887 French novel, in which the character was named Kiku; it's also based on stories of a woman named Maki Kaga. These two influences were combined into a 1898 short story by an American in which the character is Cho-Cho-San.

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Oct 2017, 08:53

Dangerman wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 08:46
Wait a Japanese women named Cio-Cio San? I'm just a dabbler in Japanese culture, but that doesn't match any kind of naming convention I've seen. Makes me think of cringy racist Americans talking pidgin "ching chong" like all Asians are Chinese.

This is where I check and find out that the character is Japanese, but it takes place in China/Vietnam/somewhere and the name actually makes sense given blah blah.
The book was in Italian.

ETA (and it means "butterfly")

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Shem

Post by Shem » 26 Oct 2017, 10:31

The opera itself is 113 years old.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 27 Oct 2017, 08:54

See I was right.

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Nov 2017, 22:59

There's a huge debate at the Unicode Consortium about a frowning poo emoji.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/ ... emoji-feud
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Nov 2017, 08:25

shit just got real, yo.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Nov 2017, 13:04

My brain has completely melted

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Nov 2017, 13:07

Fucking qualia

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Nov 2017, 13:16

Indeed.

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Nov 2017, 23:30

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Nov 2017, 10:58

Edison has a huge 2nd and 3rd generation Asian population. Tf?
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 05 Nov 2017, 14:48

False Flag shall be my Black Flag cover band.

I mean, "cricket is a threat to our way of life" sounds like what an Indian thinks that an American thinks like, but Americans don't even know what a pitch or a wobbly is, we're becoming increasingly tolerant of rugby, and playing footy is the way to signal that Ayden won't let his undiagnosed gluten intolerance keep him from an active life.

Shem

Post by Shem » 05 Nov 2017, 14:53

Dude, Aydën. Umlats or GTFO.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 05 Nov 2017, 16:11

I refuse to enable furrin lettering on my red blooded American keyboard.