OFFS: The Forsakening

JasonL

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL » 06 Oct 2017, 10:36

Ellie wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 10:02
I've got a bunch of Bronkaid pills if you want me to throw them in the mail for you. Faster than finding a doc at least. Just PM me your address.
That would be great! Thanks a ton. Check PM.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Oct 2017, 10:56

I will be having a problem obtaining my stimulants towards the end of the year because Daddy DEA and Mommy FDA think there should only be X mg's of controlled substances manufactured each year. DEMAND KURVE!

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Oct 2017, 11:37

Any urgent care places nearby that you trust even a little? That might be a good place to try to get the scrip, without the appointment wait. And they're good at justifying that it's urgent to your insurance company, so that it's covered.

As a side note, I've made an urgent care facility my primary care physician of record (because my insurance supports it), and the convenience of it is great. And I don't really know if you lose out much on continuity of care, especially at the one I go to, because I've seen the same doctor every time.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Oct 2017, 12:12

Seconding Highway's doc-in-a-box plan.

We do those for minor injuries and acute illnesses on the regular (as these things go). Once you have a PCP if it's a big enough practice they'll also usually have a PA on staff who can handle this sort of thing within a day or two, even if there aren't any appointments for your actual doc ready.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2017, 18:20

Douchebag on a bicycle runs down a 67-year-old woman, blames her for it, makes all bike-riders look like douchebags.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/o ... D=ref_fark

I do admire the way the journalist wrote this story by switching back-and-forth between the bike-rider and others; it's like the print equivalent of the "Gilligan cut" used in movies and TV.
...Pearsall [the old lady who was run down] said she’s talked to a number of walkers who have had close calls with bicyclists and even runners on the Centennial Trail.

“I know walkers aren’t perfect, that they take up the trail and aren’t paying attention sometimes, but when you get plowed over at the edge of the trail something’s wrong,” she said.

“People have to realize that when they’re entering a congested area of the trail they have to slow down. Somebody could get killed.”

“I hate to slow down,” Haller [the bike rider] said when asked why he didn’t. “Most of the time people move. These people wouldn’t move,” he added noting that the moms with strollers were part of the problem, too.

“It’s a regrettable thing that happened. It didn’t need to happen for a lot of reasons and not just mine. I don’t like the fact that I hit her, but I did.”

Haller said he calls it a good day when he makes it home without an accident. “I’ve broken 25 bones,” he said. “When I lived in LA, a doctor asked me if I was a stunt man.”
Sounds like Haller plain doesn't know how to safely ride a bike.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 09 Oct 2017, 18:47

“It was a perfect storm of bad situations,” Haller said on Friday. “My hand was still weak so I couldn’t brake hard."
Oh, so he basically admits to unsafe operation of his vehicle, too. What a shame one of the bones he broke wasn't his neck.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2017, 18:57

The hell of it is, witnesses say the old lady and her walking companion were only taking up half the trail; there was room for the biker to pass them, yet he STILL mowed 'em down. So, he won't slow down, he won't pass them, and he appears outraged by the thought that the lady might actually sue him to recoup the medical costs HE inflicted on her through his irresponsibility.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Oct 2017, 19:45

Jennifer wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 18:57
The hell of it is, witnesses say the old lady and her walking companion were only taking up half the trail; there was room for the biker to pass them, yet he STILL mowed 'em down. So, he won't slow down, he won't pass them, and he appears outraged by the thought that the lady might actually sue him to recoup the medical costs HE inflicted on her through his irresponsibility.
Exhibit #201598437 in why everyone who isn't a cyclist hates cyclists. And unfortunately, you almost never get a counter-example of a cyclist behaving well, because you don't notice that they didn't get in someone's way, or they didn't run someone over, or they didn't curse out someone, or they didn't ignore traffic signs and signals, or they didn't...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Oct 2017, 20:26

I particularly enjoyed this bit:
In a Facebook post from an urgent care facility he said, “So first ride without the brace and some pedestrian wouldn’t move!! Centennial trial (sic) is not yours alone pedestrians!!”
As Highway points out, this just adds to the anti-cyclist narrative. It's confirmation bias all the way down.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Oct 2017, 21:00

Jesus Christ, guys. I've ridden on pedestrian/cycle trails before. You call, "On your left" before you get to them, then you pass on the left like a goddamned person. You don't shout "Move" and then plow through whether they move or not. There's no circumstance where the pedestrian just has to get out of the way, unless they are legitimately taking up the entire trail, and even then you stop, go around, and cuss them out over your shoulder when you get past them.

Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. Their mere existence is a violation of the NAP, and they may be killed without legal sanction. It should be avoided, if it is easy, but otherwise, shoot first and seek to understand never, my friends.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2017, 21:10

The guy sounds less like a real person than a parody of "douchebag bicyclist," written by a confirmed bicycle-hater.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Oct 2017, 21:59

Confirmation bias, sure. But it's like libertarians: for every Balko, there's a Dondero. And if guys like Dondy pummeled old ladies, even more people would hate libertarians.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 09 Oct 2017, 22:10

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 21:00
You don't shout "Move" and then plow through whether they move or not.
He didn't even do that. He shouted "hot pizza" while traveling at 20 MPH.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Oct 2017, 22:14

Shem wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 22:10
lunchstealer wrote:
Holy mole you're not kidding.

Gawd what a fuckin tool.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Oct 2017, 11:33

lunchstealer wrote:
Jesus Christ, guys. I've ridden on pedestrian/cycle trails before. You call, "On your left" before you get to them, then you pass on the left like a goddamned person. You don't shout "Move" and then plow through whether they move or not. There's no circumstance where the pedestrian just has to get out of the way, unless they are legitimately taking up the entire trail, and even then you stop, go around, and cuss them out over your shoulder when you get past them.

Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. Their mere existence is a violation of the NAP, and they may be killed without legal sanction. It should be avoided, if it is easy, but otherwise, shoot first and seek to understand never, my friends.
I'll buy that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 10 Oct 2017, 14:19

I hope he sticks to cycling and doesn't drive a car. "As I came up to the four way stop I could see that the other guy stopped first and was continuing through the intersection, but I hate to slow down so I indicated with my horn that I wasn't going to stop and that asshole didn't get out of the way so I t-boned him. C'mon people, share the road!"
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 Oct 2017, 17:40

dead_elvis wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 14:19
I hope he sticks to cycling and doesn't drive a car.
Given the attitudes he expressed in the article, I wouldn't be surprised to learn he bikes because he can't drive a car, because his license to do so was taken away long, long ago.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Oct 2017, 17:49

Shem wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
I saw that. I cannot figure out where the notion of shouting "hot pizza" came from and why that is supposed to mean something to the non-initiate.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Oct 2017, 17:57

dead_elvis wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 14:19
I hope he sticks to cycling and doesn't drive a car. "As I came up to the four way stop I could see that the other guy stopped first and was continuing through the intersection, but I hate to slow down so I indicated with my horn that I wasn't going to stop and that asshole didn't get out of the way so I t-boned him. C'mon people, share the road!"
It'll be like that bit on Portlandia where the cyclist keeps yelling "BIIIIIIKE! BICYCLE RIGHTS!" and then has to get a car and starts yelling about driver's rights.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Oct 2017, 17:59

Aresen wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 17:49
Shem wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
I saw that. I cannot figure out where the notion of shouting "hot pizza" came from and why that is supposed to mean something to the non-initiate.
Probably because he's a douchebag. His explanation was that "It makes people look because it's unexpected, and then they assess the situation and move out of the way." But there's not a large distance that a 67 year old woman is going to be able to hear some asswipe riding a bike at her at even 10 mph, so it's unlikely that she's going to figure out what's going on, meanwhile this dickhole just plowed into her.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 19 Oct 2017, 21:26

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Oct 2017, 22:25

I get that it's complete bullshit, but is it really unconstitutional?
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2017, 22:28

Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 22:25
Government making aid based on forced associations is pretty clear cut.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Oct 2017, 23:02

Mo wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 22:28
Eric the .5b wrote:
I could have sworn they had sleazed around that.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2017, 23:19

Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 23:02
Mo wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 22:28
Eric the .5b wrote:
I could have sworn they had sleazed around that.
I wouldn't be surprised if they did it in the name of "gang membership" or "terrorism link," but harder to do without a criminal/natsec link.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex