OFFS: The Forsakening

Fin Fang Foom

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 Aug 2017, 18:29

Seeing leftists freak out about FTC's approval of Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods. Amazon is going from less than 1% of groceries to less than 2%. It isn't actually a big deal.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Aug 2017, 18:58

Seriously, why would these be spiking

I mean I know why but why would someone search for fucking "amid" because of this

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 23 Aug 2017, 19:02

I _think_ the claim is that "acrostic" is spiking, not the words they used to spell out the acrostic.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Aug 2017, 19:03

It's spiking because at least two Trump staffers offered resignation statements which spelled out "impeach" or "resist" when the first letters of each paragraph were isolated.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Aug 2017, 19:12

Jadagul wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 19:02
I _think_ the claim is that "acrostic" is spiking, not the words they used to spell out the acrostic.
Ahh

That makes more sense

Still dumb
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Aug 2017, 20:21

Historically low interest rates mean historically high numbers of idiot investors.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/23/billi ... rown-meat/
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Aug 2017, 20:49

Stanford Biochemistry Professor (MD/PhD) and Impossible Foods founder/CEO:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/22/impos ... questions/
TC: Why not try “clean meat,” or lab-grown meat from animal cells?

PB: The simple answer is because that is one of the stupidest ideas ever expressed. First of all, it’s not true you can do a better job that way. Because then you buy into, at best, the same limitations that a cow has. And it’s economically completely un-scalable.

If we could grow tissues that were a meaningful replica of animal tissues at an affordable price from stem cells, it would revolutionize medicine. Look around you. It’s not happening.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Aug 2017, 21:45

dbcooper wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 20:49
Stanford Biochemistry Professor (MD/PhD) and Impossible Foods founder/CEO:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/22/impos ... questions/
TC: Why not try “clean meat,” or lab-grown meat from animal cells?

PB: The simple answer is because that is one of the stupidest ideas ever expressed. First of all, it’s not true you can do a better job that way. Because then you buy into, at best, the same limitations that a cow has. And it’s economically completely un-scalable.

If we could grow tissues that were a meaningful replica of animal tissues at an affordable price from stem cells, it would revolutionize medicine. Look around you. It’s not happening.
Do we need a meaningful replica of animal tissue? If we're replacing steak, sure. But if you're replacing processed meat used to make chicken nuggets or some other shit, you just need a tumor made of muscle cells forever growing.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Aug 2017, 21:54

It's still going to be extraordinarily expensive, and it would need some kind of perfusion. Anyway, a tumour that will support macroscopic dimensions (needs blood vessels) will probably be a mix of many cell types, but mostly it will revert to something like fibroblasts, and will be full of necrotic regions. It would be like eating a decaying scar.

The fundamental economics of this are so stupid I'm convinced that people should be executed by the state for being that fucking dumb. A cow is a self-regulating, self-replicating meat machine that primarily requires the cheapest substrate imaginable - grass. Animal cell culture is very expensive, and requires precise environmental regulation, rigorous sterilisation, and expensive fine biochemicals as primary substrates.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Aug 2017, 21:59

I agree with you that it's the stupidest fucking way to go, but I'm playing devil's advocate here. You could potentially arrange it in such a way that the thing is maybe two to 4 cells thick, so you don't need a working vascular system and then ... nope that's where it gets dumb and unscalable.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Aug 2017, 22:03

Yeah, the idea would be to grow sheets of cells and then bond them together with a food stuff.

It would seem obvious that the future will involve engineering better yeast/fungi/plants that can be processed to produce something closer to ground beef. I imagine that plants will win, because you don't need lots of stainless steel to ferment them in.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 24 Aug 2017, 00:27

Well that was disgusting.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 24 Aug 2017, 08:54

As disgusting as me reminding you that flour contains so much vermin feces that uncooked dough is one of the greatest food hazards?
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Aug 2017, 15:05

Welp, I'm off to become a breatharian.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Aug 2017, 15:34

Dangerman wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 08:54
As disgusting as me reminding you that flour contains so much vermin feces that uncooked dough is one of the greatest food hazards?
That's less disgusting.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 26 Aug 2017, 16:04

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 08:54
That's less disgusting.
Sounds like a job for irradiation and resealable bags, tbh.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Aug 2017, 19:48

or, uh, cooking it?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Aug 2017, 20:33

Raw cookie dough is good.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 26 Aug 2017, 20:36

Mo wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 20:33
Raw cookie dough is good.
*Tom Myers bong-hit transplant bit*

(that's one for the Cum Town fans)

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Sep 2017, 17:15

Security contractors on Norfolk Naval Shipyard make fake police force, appropriate vehicles, make fake license plates, steal real license plates, and acquire weapons to act like "real" cops.

https://federalnewsradio.com/defense-ne ... e/slide/1/
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Sep 2017, 21:33

Highway wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 17:15
Security contractors on Norfolk Naval Shipyard make fake police force, appropriate vehicles, make fake license plates, steal real license plates, and acquire weapons to act like "real" cops.

https://federalnewsradio.com/defense-ne ... e/slide/1/
The only thing worse than bad cops is wannabe cops:
“These folks are not law enforcement, but they wanted to be, and all of their actions were done to become a law enforcement organization,” said Peter Lintner, the deputy director of investigations at NAVSEA.
And the stupid gets stupider:
“The stunning thing is that this happened over the course of seven commanding officers, and not a single one of them put a stop to it or really even had any visibility on it. Everybody just thought, ‘Well, they’re the good guys. They’re the security department. They’re not going to do anything wrong.’ In actuality, they were doing everything wrong, and they knew it.”
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 02 Sep 2017, 17:10

This is especially galling because we are having a EOY review from the State DHS, and they'll be bitching about < $100 allowances and hourly participant deficits that might be $40-$50.

Get fucked, Security Theatre State.

EDIT: I'm fine with the accountability measures I'm subject to, but maybe if we weren't allowing rent-a-cowboys to procure multimillion-dollar killing toys without even having their fly's zipped and shirts tucked, we could afford to help a single mom pay for someone to drive her to a job until she can get a car.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Sep 2017, 00:01

The governor of the US Virgin Islands ordered the national guard to seize guns and ammo from residents "in preparation" for Hurricane Irma. What, does the constitution not apply to territories as well as states?

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/ ... D=ref_fark
The governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands has ordered the territory's national guard to begin seizing guns and ammunition from citizens in preparation for Hurricane Irma's landfall.

In an executive order signed Monday, Gov. Kenneth Mapp instructed Adjutant General Deborah Howell "to take whatever actions she considers necessary to carry out the assigned mission" of maintaining and restoring public order.

"The Adjutant General is authorized and directed to seize arms, ammunition, explosives, incendiary material and any other property that may be required by the military forces for the performance of this emergency mission," the governor said in the order.

The order went into effect Tuesday at 12:01 a.m.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Sep 2017, 00:55

I'm sure the NRA will take swift action to oppose this, even though the citizens of the Virgin Islands are mostly black and don't vote in federal elections.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Sep 2017, 01:23

thoreau wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 00:55
I'm sure the NRA will take swift action to oppose this, even though the citizens of the Virgin Islands are mostly black and don't vote in federal elections.
Them and the Oath Keepers. We can totally count on those guys, as we learned after Ferguson.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem