OFFS: The Forsakening

dead_elvis

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Jul 2017, 12:19

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 11:25
, need to chill the fuck out.
My wife had coffee and liqueur (probably not at the same time) as a toddler. I don't think Americans are good about seamlessly integrating children into adult culture as they grow, except maybe for hunting.

Shocked/not shocked at how the pushback against being judgemental of parenting has not translated into pushing back against child services at a level more consequential then blog posts.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jul 2017, 12:43

Oh I definitely think the whole "must never touch a drop of alcohol until 21st birthday" is a very bad policy.
There's some pushback on that. But so far anyone in a position of authority, say a college president, who dares advocate lowering the drinking age has been subjected to the OUTRAGE machine.
What troubles me even more is the intolerance to serving alcohol to your own teens in your own home. Were I a parent, I believe I'd fear alcohol more than all other drugs put together. Instructing my children on the benefits and dangers of it would be a very high priority. A policy of total abstinence until mariage 21 when you are magically mature enough is just about the most destructive you could have short of forced consumption.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Jul 2017, 14:26

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 11:25
My generation grew up on Wonder Bread and Hi-C. I'm not saying we turned out alright, but I am saying that people what call child services when they see someone feed their kid Oreos and milk that isn't certified organic and steroid-free, need to chill the fuck out.
Or, if you're the pastors in the story, sue Big Cookie after you see members of your congregation feeding their kids Oreos for breakfast.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Jul 2017, 17:11

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 12:43
Oh I definitely think the whole "must never touch a drop of alcohol until 21st birthday" is a very bad policy.
There's some pushback on that. But so far anyone in a position of authority, say a college president, who dares advocate lowering the drinking age has been subjected to the OUTRAGE machine.
What troubles me even more is the intolerance to serving alcohol to your own teens in your own home. Were I a parent, I believe I'd fear alcohol more than all other drugs put together. Instructing my children on the benefits and dangers of it would be a very high priority. A policy of total abstinence until mariage 21 when you are magically mature enough is just about the most destructive you could have short of forced consumption.
This.

My parents started offering me wine with dinner when I was around 14. By the time I reached legal drinking age, alcohol was no big deal.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Jul 2017, 18:17

Aresen wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 17:11
Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 12:43
This.

My parents started offering me wine with dinner when I was around 14. By the time I reached legal drinking age, alcohol was no big deal.
Everything I've read on how much drinking behavior (and even behavior when intoxicated) is learned and inculcated, as opposed to the unavoidable effects of alcohol, makes me think that's a very sensible approach.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 18 Jul 2017, 07:25

The greatest crime: perpetuating a sexist stereotype.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... st-adverts

Such a stupid country.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 18 Jul 2017, 09:45

dbcooper wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 07:25
The greatest crime: perpetuating a sexist stereotype.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... st-adverts

Such a stupid country.
Brexit is going to be hilarious.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 19 Jul 2017, 12:01

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... aefc7de556

RFRA is bad, yo. And some day we're going to end up with abcase where it is a winning argument.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Jul 2017, 17:26

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 29 Jul 2017, 12:29

OFFS, on the prog board I'm on it only took 13 comments for someone to blame libertarians for Foxconn's cronytastic shitshow with Wisconsin.

Just don't have the energy today to wrestle with that nonsense.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 29 Jul 2017, 12:56

dead_elvis wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 12:29
OFFS, on the prog board I'm on it only took 13 comments for someone to blame libertarians for Foxconn's cronytastic shitshow with Wisconsin.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 31 Jul 2017, 18:11

Here's some more proof that Republicans are anti-elitist.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 Jul 2017, 18:25

dead_elvis wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 12:29

To most progs (including my brother), Donald Trump is a libertarian.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Jul 2017, 22:22

fyodor wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 18:11
Here's some more proof that Republicans are anti-elitist.
Ironically, those that make claims about people's ignorance about the history of the 17th Amendment are the most ignorant about the 17th Amendment.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Aug 2017, 16:00

"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 03 Aug 2017, 08:08

People take opiates. Politicians can't let people get high, especially black/brown people. Pharmaceutical companies invent a more dangerous, more addictive version of opiates and inadvertently (or purposefully) set off a "national opioid crisis." Pharmaceutical companies then invent an ineffective drug to treat people ensnared in said opioid crisis. Doctors don't prescribe it because there are already better treatment drugs on the market (buprenorphine, methadone, etc).

So the pharmaceutical company pulls an end-around and heavily markets its ineffective, questionably-tested (as in the FDA approved it based on a flawed study of 250 participants in Russia (Russia!)) "addiction cure" directly to law enforcement and drug courts.
The Food and Drug Administration approved Vivitrol in 2006 for alcoholism and expanded its approved use to opioid addiction treatment in 2010, based on the Russian study.

Sales of the drug initially were so tepid that market analysts urged the company to drop it. Instead, Alkermes adopted what Mr. Pops described to potential investors last fall as a “new commercial model for pharma.”

Rather than appeal to doctors’ offices or medical associations, the company has primarily pitched Vivitrol to law enforcement officials and lawmakers, who have relied heavily on government grants and the Affordable Care Act’s expansion of Medicaid to pay for the drug. Medicaid pays about $500 per shot, while private insurers pay $1,000, according to Alkermes. Suboxone, produced by Indivior, tends to cost a third to half as much, and methadone much less.

Alkermes assigns sales representatives to judges who oversee drug courts, where addicts arrested on minor drug charges go through supervised treatment programs. It also provides free shots to inmates preparing to leave jails and prisons, where Medicaid usually does not pay for medical care. Once the inmates are released, Medicaid often picks up the cost for them to continue shots of Vivitrol in re-entry or treatment programs.

Alkermes also relies on a “speakers’ bureau” of doctors who are paid to promote Vivitrol to other doctors and nurses across the country, and sends “outreach kits” with information about the drug to leaders of local grass-roots organizations.

The company and its political action committee have spent heavily to get its product before policy makers: $19 million in federal lobbying since the drug was approved in 2010, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. It made $222,521 in political contributions to Congress last year and has purchased high-level sponsorships of associations of drug court professionals and addiction treatment professionals, as well as organizations researching addiction treatment.

Suboxone still has a far bigger share of the market, despite its critics in the criminal justice system. It has come under more scrutiny lately, from 42 state attorneys general who have sued its maker on charges that it blocked generic alternatives.

And Alkermes’s strategy of appealing to law enforcement has paid off: Sales of Vivitrol reached $58.5 million in the first quarter of 2017, up 33 percent from the same period last year, with about half of that from Medicaid. In 2012, there were 15 programs using Vivitrol in nine states. By this April, there were 450 programs in 39 states.

In Massachusetts, where Vivitrol first took off, the company hired a lobbying firm led by Thomas P. O’Neill III, a former lieutenant governor. Company executives began attending fund-raisers and making contributions to lawmakers and political committees of both parties.

In 2012, one Republican, State Representative Randy Hunt, suggested a pilot program to the sheriff at the Barnstable County jail on Cape Cod, which has since become a showcase for Vivitrol. Other county jails then began offering the drug to inmates, and sheriffs from across the state have spoken on its behalf, including at a White House forum last year.

The drug courts often place offenders in treatment facilities or sober housing that allow only Vivitrol. “That’s where we’re handcuffed to Vivitrol,” said Judge David Matia, who leads the drug court in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
Phillip K. Dick's estate should be suing them for royalties...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 03 Aug 2017, 08:50

Everything I read about drug courts makes me want to vomit.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 03 Aug 2017, 12:33

http://forward.com/opinion/378788/its-t ... ewish-one/ - Jews do a lot of drugs too.

Also fact: If you're around the addiction/recovery world for long enough, you know a lot of people - friends and acquintences who will die of drugs overdoses. It's just statistics.
But the prevalence of the problem has led to fatigue, and even denial. People even question investments in things like Narcan, Nosanchuk says. Despite being surrounded by overdose deaths, people aren’t ready to admit how deep-rooted the problem is. “Addiction is so shrouded in shame but [it] touches more families than we’re willing to admit,” Nosanchuk told me.

Rabbi Zachary Truboff of the Modern Orthodox Cedar Sinai in Cleveland has attended three funerals for congregants during his time. “The Jewish community in general and the Orthodox community in particular often have difficulty accepting that addiction is real,” he wrote in The Times of Israel,. “We like to think we are safe and that we are better in some way.”

This idea of communal denial was a theme echoed by Gluck, Nosanchuk and Marks — two Orthodox rabbis and a Reform rabbi — and by others.

It’s time we stopped denying that this crisis has come to us and start thinking of ways to address it.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 03 Aug 2017, 13:08

Back before this was A Thing in the news every day, the pastor in my church growing up got addicted to opioids due to severe back pain, and ended up busted trying to get fake prescriptions filled. My dad who has always been very involved in the church said that addiction and alcoholism happens among clergy more often than one would think, because it's easy for them to get depressed and feel isolated because people go to them with all their problems and they have no one to go to.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Aug 2017, 04:03

It's WW2 again!

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 16 Aug 2017, 09:59

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Aug 2017, 07:57

http://gothamist.com/2017/08/22/hudson_ ... ottery.php
The city's latest batch of affordable apartments come in two flavors of income bands. For people making 40% of the city's Area Median Income, there are 60 apartments ranging from $613/month to $875/month. To qualify, household incomes will have to come in somewhere between $22,903 and $44,280, depending on the size of your household.

There are also a handful of affordable apartments available for people making 120 percent of AMI, or households making $68,709 and $132,840. Those 30 apartments range from $1,949/month to $2,875/month.
when you have to subsidize 130k/yr households...
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Aug 2017, 14:57

NYC Mayoral Candidate Nicole Malliotakis wrote:Now even Christopher Columbus, the founder our nation, is under attack.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Aug 2017, 18:00

Jfc.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh