OFFS: The Forsakening

Warren

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 05:31 I just dont see how it would work on a large scale. Reimportation will just push other countries to ban it at some point when it makes more economic sense to send limited meds over to the us.
Why would they do that? And if some countries did, that would create market opportunities for other countries.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Conservative 'Moms' group slams Burger King for using 'the d-word' in a commercial
Activist conservative group One Million Moms is taking aim at Burger King for using what it calls the "d-word" in a commercial promoting the non-meat Impossible Whopper.

In the ad, a group of people taste-test the plant-based patty that has been a hit for the fast-food company. With a mouthful of food, one man says, "Damn, that's good.
Really? 'Damn' upsets you?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 14:43 Conservative 'Moms' group slams Burger King for using 'the d-word' in a commercial
Activist conservative group One Million Moms is taking aim at Burger King for using what it calls the "d-word" in a commercial promoting the non-meat Impossible Whopper.

In the ad, a group of people taste-test the plant-based patty that has been a hit for the fast-food company. With a mouthful of food, one man says, "Damn, that's good.
Well they need to be upset about something.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Aresen wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 14:43 Conservative 'Moms' group slams Burger King for using 'the d-word' in a commercial

I'm reminded of this video, where this girl on a college campus just goes, "Naughty word!" like a twelve-year-old pastor's daughter when the guy says "fuck".

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Shem

Post by Shem »

Nobody better give them tickets to a Trump rally.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

KY Christian school expels student over rainbow shirt and birthday cake
“The WA Administration has been made aware of a recent picture, posted on social media, which demonstrates a posture of morality and cultural acceptance contrary to that of Whitefield Academy’s beliefs,” said the letter, signed Jan. 6 by Head of School Bruce Jacobson. “We made it clear that any further promotion, celebration, or any other actions and attitudes that are counter to Whitefield’s philosophy would not be tolerated. As a result, we regret to inform you that Kayla is being dismissed from the school immediately.”
As we all know there is no room for rainbows in Christianity
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

So gross.
nicole

Post by nicole »

The part of these stories I don't understand is...why the f would you want to go to a Christian school if you're not into their whole thing? Like, don't you want to not support that shit to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars a year plus your own time and association?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

This is a common thing in the midwesterly south. They are better schools.

ETA though I don't know about that one. The Catholic ones tend to be quite good relative to public peers and lots of people fake it to get their kids in.
nicole

Post by nicole »

I mean, I know, it just seems 100% not worth it as a tradeoff to me. I cannot imagine going to a Christian school. Even for college, I only applied to one school with a religious affiliation and it was a huge con for me in terms of whether I was going to decide to go there. I mean, I guess these people probably consider themselves Christian so I guess that's probably most of the reason.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The kid and the family do appear to be into the whole Christian thing. The mom tried to appease the the school by apologizing profusely for being culturally inclusive.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

It's the sort of thing where you wish you could turn every single administrator, teacher, support staff, and student suddenly gay. Sort of a 'Gay Conversion Therapy' going the other way.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

nicole wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 13:51 The part of these stories I don't understand is...why the f would you want to go to a Christian school if you're not into their whole thing? Like, don't you want to not support that shit to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars a year plus your own time and association?
There are also people who try to change attitudes from within. If you were raised xian and realized you're gay (or you simply care about equality), why should *you* have to be the one to leave.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I'm sure that's what Jesus would want.
As we all know there is no room for rainbows in Christianity
And that rainbow is the most heterosexual symbol ever, because the Ark contained reproducing pairs of every species!
Number 6 wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 14:21 Missouri, making me proud:
https://bookriot.com/2020/01/15/new-pro ... materials/
I wonder what that legislator thinks about the Mizzou prof who called for "muscle" to deal with a student journalist.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

libraries would need to inform voters about the upcoming meeting and only those in attendance can vote on those who’d make decisions about library materials...
Worse still, the decisions made by these boards will be final. Libraries, staffed by well-educated and trained individuals, will have no opportunity to support materials being pulled. Their input would be prohibited,
!!! Besides the bigotry, this is just astounding. Public choice theory happens on its own, that's rigging it exceedingly hard.

If a parent has the time to police other peoples' childrens' reading, they have time to supervise their own kids' reading.

If I lived somewhere affected by this and had a kid, I think I would sporadically purchase "offending" books and have the kid surreptitiously sneak them onto the shelves uncatalogued.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 13:51 The part of these stories I don't understand is...why the f would you want to go to a Christian school if you're not into their whole thing? Like, don't you want to not support that shit to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars a year plus your own time and association?
My thought as well. "My child feels judged"? I mean WTF, of course she feels judged, that's what you paid for. And seriously, might this not be your cue to turn your backs on those judgemental pricks forever?
JasonL wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 13:55 This is a common thing in the midwesterly south. They are better schools.

ETA though I don't know about that one. The Catholic ones tend to be quite good relative to public peers and lots of people fake it to get their kids in.
Fake it? Huh. Where I come from you just had to pony up the dough and your kid was in. That meant, in addition to the 'better than public school' education, Jr. got a side of catechism and a dose of 'Don't give me any of your shit' from a penguin furry. And the Catholics, I mean you better tow the lion on their time, but if you didn't care about your immortal soul, it's not like they were going to bother with it.
Now I need a shower.
But whatever, you ignorant goat roping hicks. We've got the internet now, so knock yourselves out.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I did Catholic high school. The religion classes taught by laypeople were often terrible, but the ones taught by priests were great.

In my theology class, Father Teremina stood up on the first day and said "This is a philosophy class. You can learn the arguments regardless of whether you're religious. If you're not Christian, that's not my problem; I'm not the one going to hell."
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

That's...kinda shirking the professional obligation.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I mean, it was a joke.

But not every space is a proselytory space, and he didn't intend this to be one of them.

(He was also an old Jesuit priest who no longer gave any fucks. Which is the best kind of priest.)
Shem

Post by Shem »

Jesuits aren't exactly world-renowned givers of fucks in the first place.
JasonL wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 13:55 ETA though I don't know about that one. The Catholic ones tend to be quite good relative to public peers and lots of people fake it to get their kids in.
Usually you don't even need to fake it, especially with the Catholics. You could walk in and say "I'm an atheist and I want my kid to go to school here," and, assuming kid meets the requirements, the response is usually going to be something along the lines of "well, ok, but we do a lot of praying here, and your kid isn't going to be exempt, so she better get good at bowing her head and pretending to be serious."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 01:53 Jesuits aren't exactly world-renowned givers of fucks in the first place.
JasonL wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 13:55 ETA though I don't know about that one. The Catholic ones tend to be quite good relative to public peers and lots of people fake it to get their kids in.
Usually you don't even need to fake it, especially with the Catholics. You could walk in and say "I'm an atheist and I want my kid to go to school here," and, assuming kid meets the requirements, the response is usually going to be something along the lines of "well, ok, but we do a lot of praying here, and your kid isn't going to be exempt, so she better get good at bowing her head and pretending to be serious."
Can confirm. Also helps to have a checkbook.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

My wife is a PhD biologist, libertarian-feminist, non-believer, and chair of the science department at her girls-only Catholic high school. She's also an alum.

Who wouldn't want their daughters being taught by her? Oh, I know. State bureaucrats and the public teachers' union since she doesn't have a degree in child education, and is therefore unqualified to teach science in the public school system.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

That's hilarious sad.
nicole

Post by nicole »

I mean, obviously no one wants to associate with the people responsible for public schools either, but you can't stop paying them.