OFFS: The Forsakening

Mo

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Mo » 23 Nov 2018, 16:12

The onions futures provisions has a fascinating history. Some dude cornered the market on all onions both physically and in the future.

ETA: Is there some named "law" that for every crazy rule, there's an equally crazy story about why that rule exists?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Dec 2018, 22:08

What the fuck is this shit about closing the market and suspending mail delivery because Pharaoh died. This country deserves Donald Trump.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Dec 2018, 22:19

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 22:08
What the fuck is this shit about closing the market and suspending mail delivery because Pharaoh died. This country deserves Donald Trump.

Thoughtcrime detected!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Dec 2018, 14:11

Loyalty Officer Aresen once again proves his devotion to the Shemocracy.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 05 Dec 2018, 16:01

I've decided Shemocracy is the form of government. Shempire is the name of the polity.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Dec 2018, 18:10

My apologies, m'lord.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Dec 2018, 18:25

Officially, the Shemocratic Shempire of Shem.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Shem

Post by Shem » 05 Dec 2018, 19:31

I think the level of power concentration I'm aiming for obligates me to make it the Shemocratic People's Shempire of Shem, or SPSS. It's a tradition thing.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Dec 2018, 19:52

Shem wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 19:31
I think the level of power concentration I'm aiming for obligates me to make it the Shemocratic People's Shempire of Shem, or SPSS. It's a tradition thing.
Have you considered growing a big bushy moustache?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Dec 2018, 19:57

Shem wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 19:31
Stands to reason!
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JD

Post by JD » 13 Dec 2018, 13:19

The NY City Council is considering making it illegal for businesses to not accept cash, because those useless assholes have never had an idea beyond "What can we ban today?": https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/11/29 ... -business/
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Dec 2018, 16:40

JD wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 13:19
The NY City Council is considering making it illegal for businesses to not accept cash, because those useless assholes have never had an idea beyond "What can we ban today?": https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/11/29 ... -business/
Though I understand the reasons businesses don't want to accept cash, I really hate the practice.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Dec 2018, 17:45

New York City Council member Ritchie Torres, who represents parts of the Bronx, proposed a bill Wednesday that would affect shops that currently only take electronic payments with credit and debit cards.

Torres says establishments that don’t accept cash could be discriminating against communities that have difficulty accessing credit cards. Violators would face fines of up to $250 for a first offense and up to $500 for additional violations.

The move takes aim at protecting minorities tend to be excluded from the “cashless revolution” trend.

“I started coming across coffee shops and cafés that were exclusively cashless and I thought: But what if I was a low-income New Yorker who has no access to a card?” Torres told the website Grub Street. “I thought about it more and realized that even if a policy seems neutral in theory, it can be racially exclusionary in practice.”
I definitely sympathize with this -- and FWIW, I REALLY REALLY hate the move to a cashless society, mainly for privacy and personal-liberty reasons -- but how likely is it that such upscale businesses are going to open in neighborhoods where most people can't afford credit cards? (And if you're low-income enough to lack access to a card, maybe pricey coffee shops and the like are places you're better off avoiding for your own financial well-being.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 17 Dec 2018, 14:14

Also, if you really need a credit-card-type-thing but can't or won't get a regular credit card, you can go buy a refillable gift card and fill it using cash. They sell those at every Rite Aid and such. And Torres is ignoring the fact that dealing with cash imposes real costs on merchants too - it draws robberies and fraud, and necessitates safes, making deposits, etc.

I personally have never, ever encountered a coffee shop or cafe that did not take cash. I'm aware that there are businesses like that, but I have never found one.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Dec 2018, 14:55

Another peeve I have with 'no cash' places is the transaction fees bank charge. A $2.00 coffee is suddenly $2.75.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Dec 2018, 15:03

I have run into way more cash-only places than no-cash places.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Dec 2018, 15:05

Maybe this is a US thing, but the credit card companies are adamant that businesses not charge additional fees or higher prices for using a card. So I don't know that this is any worse than a shop that raises the price for cash customers to match their card price.
Aresen wrote:Another peeve I have with 'no cash' places is the transaction fees bank charge. A $2.00 coffee is suddenly $2.75.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Dec 2018, 15:40

Highway wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 15:05
Maybe this is a US thing, but the credit card companies are adamant that businesses not charge additional fees or higher prices for using a card. So I don't know that this is any worse than a shop that raises the price for cash customers to match their card price.
Aresen wrote:Another peeve I have with 'no cash' places is the transaction fees bank charge. A $2.00 coffee is suddenly $2.75.
I was thinking of the fees that banks charge at their end. You have X many transactions per month on your account. After X transactions, the bank charges you a fee for every cheque, withdrawal or debit transaction.

(Of course, when I used to own a chunk of bank shares, I thought it was great!!! ["Dividends! Dividends!! Pump that bottom line!"])

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Dec 2018, 15:51

Highway wrote:
Yeah no. There are places where you get a "cash discount". Also plenty of places that won't take a card for less than X (usually around $3.00)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Dec 2018, 17:58

It used to only be gas stations (and that's getting rarer).

Some small businesses will encourage cash as part of their small business charm, but an actual discount is rare in my experience.

(Though to be clear, the guys really fighting the swipe fees through legal action are the Walmarts and Targets of the world)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Dec 2018, 18:12

Warren wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 15:51
Highway wrote:
Yeah no. There are places where you get a "cash discount". Also plenty of places that won't take a card for less than X (usually around $3.00)
Yeah, and they are in violation of the terms of the merchant's agreement to accept credit cards. Most places don't get stopped from doing it, but it's still not something that the credit card company wants to happen.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 17 Dec 2018, 18:13

Kolohe wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 17:58
Some small businesses will encourage cash as part of their small business charm, but an actual discount is rare in my experience.
For values of "small business charm" equalling "pocketing the cash and not reporting it for sales tax", in my experience!

And $3?! Around here most places don't like to take a card for less than $10!

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Dec 2018, 18:16

YMMV
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 17 Dec 2018, 19:39

Aresen wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 15:40
Highway wrote:
I was thinking of the fees that banks charge at their end. You have X many transactions per month on your account. After X transactions, the bank charges you a fee for every cheque, withdrawal or debit transaction.

(Of course, when I used to own a chunk of bank shares, I thought it was great!!! ["Dividends! Dividends!! Pump that bottom line!"])
I've only ever seen that on savings accounts, not checking accounts.

And definitely never on credit cards.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Dec 2018, 17:34

Et tu Canada?

Police Shutdown Calgary Airport After Orchestra Instrument Mistaken For A Gun
According to police, someone called the police to report a possible active shooter in the airport at approximately 1:45 p.m, just before the orchestra was about to perform.

After an investigation, the Calgary Police reported that a band was playing at the airport, and there was no threat.

A video posted to Twitter by user Mike Nishizaki showed the panic that followed.

Three officers are seen in the video running down a corridor shouting at travellers, “back, back, back, now!”

The video then shows the camera back running down the hallway. A person is heard on the video saying “I think there’s a shooter.”
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."