OFFS: The Forsakening

Eric the .5b

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Jun 2018, 18:26

JasonL wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 16:04
I will revise to something like - Mean World is definitely a thing and in particular anything related to children and in particular for white middle class and above mommies. No identifiable risk is tolerable and danger is everywhere.

I think there are elements who do not believe notably higher risk things are present but tactically choose to act like that's the case - basically as a way of getting their way. This is the essence of the social justice stratagem.
If everything is social justice, nothing is social justice.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Jun 2018, 18:28

Shem wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 17:07
I still don't eat there because I don't like the charities they're giving money to now any more than I liked the old ones, but, the ones now aren't "brainwash teenagers into self-loathing and quietly get gay people overseas murdered" charities, so we're back into "reasonable people can disagree" territory.
I don't follow the logic there, but whatever.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Jun 2018, 18:29

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 17:49
mrs lunch won't do subway because of the whole sheltering an actual child molester thing
Did they actually do anything beyond hire a spokesman who years later turned out to be a child molester? Are we talking "Hide the molesty priest" stuff?

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Jun 2018, 19:03

I guess I don't know how people draw the line. Question for people who support a boycott: Are we morally responsible for what a person or company does with the money that they earn from commercial transactions with us as customers?

What degree of financial separation is required from bad actions?

Shem

Post by Shem » 13 Jun 2018, 21:32

Dangerman wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 19:03
I guess I don't know how people draw the line. Question for people who support a boycott: Are we morally responsible for what a person or company does with the money that they earn from commercial transactions with us as customers?

Depends on the crime. There's "I have a personal moral issue with this and will not support it but my belief in pluralism requires that I not forestall the choice to others" and there's "this is a dangerous affront to the fabric of society and cannot be tolerated, and failure to recognize that has serious moral implications that can't be overlooked in the name of tolerance." For me, giving money to "we should encourage rigid gender roles in all facets of society" charity is the former, while "we should encourage camps that torture teenagers to try and emotionally and physically beat the gay out of them" charity is the later.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Jun 2018, 22:06

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 18:29
lunchstealer wrote:
mrs lunch won't do subway because of the whole sheltering an actual child molester thing
Did they actually do anything beyond hire a spokesman who years later turned out to be a child molester? Are we talking "Hide the molesty priest" stuff?
The suggestion is that they knew something earlier than the police investigation and didn't do anything. Sort of a Penn State thing. Not hide-the-molesty-priest, but certainly a let's-cover-our-institutional-asses-rather-than-make-any-attempt-to-stop-this.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Jun 2018, 22:10

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 22:06
Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 18:29
lunchstealer wrote:
The suggestion is that they knew something earlier than the police investigation and didn't do anything. Sort of a Penn State thing. Not hide-the-molesty-priest, but certainly a let's-cover-our-institutional-asses-rather-than-make-any-attempt-to-stop-this.
Yeah, that's pretty bad.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Jun 2018, 22:50

I don't know that it's true, but mrs lunch follows such things more closely than I do, and that's the impression I got from her. Anyway, I don't think she's so much boycotting them as saying, "Fuck those assholes they don't get my money and I'm not eating their shit and also just seeing the logo makes me think of Jared and ew."

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Jun 2018, 23:43

Dangerman wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 19:03

wrt cfa, my refusing to eat there isn't much of a boycott since i'm not trying to convince anyone else not to eat there. i won't go there, but i won't be all like oh you eat cfa that sucks because they suck. i mean i have friends who are super gays who eat at cfa. it's their choice, and it's not like they don't understand what it means to experience repressive social organizations firsthand.

but i'm still not gonna eat there. i've also never had it, and i don't eat fast food (unless waffle house counts), so this is zero cost to me personally. i'm just not gonna go there, not gonna take my kid there, etc. but i'm also not gonna lecture others about it.

so the tldr on your final question is "more than cfa has now and certainly more than it has had historically".
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Jun 2018, 01:02

dhex doesn't watch that show because it's problematic. Also dhex doesn't own tv.

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Jun 2018, 07:07

Truth.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2018, 11:43

Shem wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 11:27
It's good, but it's not like biting into it is like getting a molly-fueled double-blow.
"Molly-fueled double-blow". That is a very nice turn of phrase sir. It keeps popping up in my head ever since I read it. I'll probably put it in rotation for conversation.
Well done Shem.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 14 Jun 2018, 11:56

If I rent my commercial space from a person who donates to gay conversion camps, would you boycott my business because that's their income stream? Would you consider me to be immoral for renting from them?

This isn't the first time we have had this discussion, but I am fascinated with the unpredictable way that people connect their economic relationships with their morals.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Jun 2018, 12:26

There are layers of this thing to me.

1) do I have an obligation to proactively seek out the politics / ethical stances of vendors of goods and services? No. I do not feel any need at all to do that.

2) If I happen to find out about something that I find disturbing, do I have an obligation to protest? I don't feel any such obligation, however -

3) If I happen to find out about something that find disturbing, can that have a negative effect on the experience of giving those people money? Yes. That's what happened with Chick Fil A. The brand was essentially spoiled for me for a period of time. I was reminded of things I didn't want to be reminded of and I didn't like the passive feeling of making that transaction happen. That's to say, while not protesting, you can have brand spoilage. I now have no qualms about CfA and I don't feel obligated to "justify" my consumer experiences any more than I did before I knew anything about them - they lost out on some amount of revenue from me (maybe 2 years ish before I went back), but the brand is now pretty neutral.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Jun 2018, 12:28

Warren wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 11:43
Shem wrote:
It's good, but it's not like biting into it is like getting a molly-fueled double-blow.
"Molly-fueled double-blow". That is a very nice turn of phrase sir. It keeps popping up in my head ever since I read it. I'll probably put it in rotation for conversation.
Well done Shem.
Wait, is a double-blow two blow jobs in a row? A blow job done by two people at once? Getting and giving a blow job simultaneously? Important details have been left unspecified!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Shem

Post by Shem » 14 Jun 2018, 12:36

Ellie wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 12:28
Warren wrote:
Shem wrote:
Well done Shem.
Wait, is a double-blow two blow jobs in a row? A blow job done by two people at once? Getting and giving a blow job simultaneously? Important details have been left unspecified!
Two people at the same time. While they're on molly, so they really go all out. You bring on molly is optional.

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Jun 2018, 12:39

Dangerman wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 11:56
If I rent my commercial space from a person who donates to gay conversion camps, would you boycott my business because that's their income stream? Would you consider me to be immoral for renting from them?

This isn't the first time we have had this discussion, but I am fascinated with the unpredictable way that people connect their economic relationships with their morals.
seeing as i consider gay conversion therapy a form of torture, and i somehow came to know this person rents commercial space (or spaces)...i'd avoid your business, yes.

if i knew you personally, i'd encourage you to find another commercial landlord. because i believe it to be torture, even if the participants and parental clients feel they have good intentions, etc.

real world example - a few weeks ago i avoided a business lunch with two people i know are advocating for ice activities in the area and funding for county reps in upcoming election who have expressed support for local law enforcement cooperation in such activities. i'm fine with working with people who differ from me, but this crosses a significant line. financially it was not the best move on my part but such is life.

other real world example is the nice coffeeshop and bakery in town. i've moved business meetings and not bought anything there since the owner pulled down a plea deal over a sex assault and alcohol violation involving a 19 year old employee. is it a pain in the ass and maybe even a bit damaging to my personal brand locally? sure. but i'm ok with that.

everybody's gotta follow their heart.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Jun 2018, 13:29

Shem wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 12:36
Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:
Shem wrote:
Well done Shem.
Two people at the same time. While they're on molly, so they really go all out. You bring on molly is optional.
That seems more complicated than enjoyable. Unless they're taking turns when each gets tired. That could work. But otherwise it just seems like a lot of noses and foreheads bumping over your wang.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2018, 13:31

Ellie wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 13:29
Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:
Shem wrote:
Well done Shem.
That seems more complicated than enjoyable. Unless they're taking turns when each gets tired. That could work. But otherwise it just seems like a lot of noses and foreheads bumping over your wang.
It's a great turn of phrase and works better if those questions remain rhetorical.

ETA
Because we're already down this rabbit hole.
Blower #1 lies on their back. Blower #2 mounts blower #1 cowgirl style. Blowee teabags blower #1 and gets head from blower #2.
Last edited by Warren on 14 Jun 2018, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Shem

Post by Shem » 14 Jun 2018, 13:35

Ellie wrote:
Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:
Shem wrote:
Well done Shem.
You may imagine they are tag-teaming. And may I say, pedantry like this is why so many wangs remain unblown.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 14 Jun 2018, 13:35

dhex wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 15:51
everyone's gotta follow their heart on this one. i'm ok with never eating there.
Everyone has their hills.

I don't buy gas from Citgo.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Jun 2018, 13:44

Ellie wrote:
Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:
Shem wrote:
Well done Shem.
That seems more complicated than enjoyable.
confused face emoji

Shem

Post by Shem » 14 Jun 2018, 13:45

Shem wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 13:35
Ellie wrote:
Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:
Shem wrote:
Well done Shem.
You may imagine they are tag-teaming. And may I say, pedantry like this is why so many wangs remain unblown.
Also, it's mind-blowing, but it's like the entrance to Hogwarts; you have to line it up just right, and you gotta believe. It also helps if they're best friends.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2018, 14:37

Shem wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 13:45
Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:

Well done Shem.
Also, it's mind-blowing, but it's like the entrance to Hogwarts; you have to line it up just right, and you gotta believe. It also helps if they're best friends.
Recruiting the team may be the most significant obsticle to putting together a successful double blow. However, I believe that if you clear that hurdle the double blow is logistically more feasible than the fabled road head.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 14 Jun 2018, 15:25

Shem wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 13:45
Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:

Well done Shem.
Also, it's mind-blowing, but it's like the entrance to Hogwarts
There are so many ways this could have ended, like "on a train station platform, surrounded by people", or "lovingly written about by JK Rowling".
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF