OFFS: The Forsakening

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Sandy » 04 Jan 2018, 16:25

dhex wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 14:46
i'm good with making fun of japan suicide youtuber guy, but there's been about 400x more articles about that than the guy who killed eight people with a fucking truck on halloween in ny. this guy is just a douche, not a murderer.
A white, blond-haired, cis male douche who is popular. And also a douche. Everybody's unloading all their pent-up yell-at-douches behavior because yelling at Trump is basically yelling at a wall.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 04 Jan 2018, 16:30

I mean he has a face that is only nonpunchable to ten year old girls, this is how the rest of society reacts to that.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 04 Jan 2018, 16:30

From kerfuffle over Motel 6's habit of handing over innocent peoples' info to ICE:
ICE spokeswoman Yasmeen Pitts O’Keefe said in an email that she would not “disclose or discuss specific information related to the source of its enforcement leads” and declined to comment on the litigation.

“It’s worth noting that hotels and motels have frequently been exploited by criminal organizations engaged in highly dangerous illegal enterprises, including human trafficking and human smuggling,” O’Keefe added.
“It’s worth noting that X and Y have frequently been exploited by criminal organizations engaged in highly dangerous illegal enterprises, including (attention grabber of the day),” added the obviously automated got-nothing-so-smearing-with-random-bad-things spokesperson generator.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Jan 2018, 18:00

nicole wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 16:30
I mean he has a face that is only nonpunchable to ten year old girls, this is how the rest of society reacts to that.
yeah he's hella punchable, and as sandy mentioned there's a lot of ressentiment flying around from the failure of im with hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to defeat the dumbest motherfucker.

but i mean, shit. i know sports bar ist kreig and all and talking about isis wannabes means helping the enemy and all that but he's just being a dick. it's /1900th of the nonsense japanese tourists pull in nyc every single fucking day (yes please lock arms and form a phalanx across the subway platform you fucking gimps).
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jan 2018, 21:00

dhex wrote:
i'm good with making fun of japan suicide youtuber guy, but there's been about 400x more articles about that than the guy who killed eight people with a fucking truck on halloween in ny. this guy is just a douche, not a murderer.
I haven't heard about japan suicide youtuber guy.
Does a day go by that eight people aren't hit by a truck in NYC?
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Jan 2018, 23:14

Warren wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 21:00
dhex wrote:
I haven't heard about japan suicide youtuber guy.
Does a day go by that eight people aren't hit by a truck in NYC?
It's usually not done with one truck.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 05 Jan 2018, 01:13

dhex wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 18:00
nicole wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 16:30
yeah he's hella punchable, and as sandy mentioned there's a lot of ressentiment flying around from the failure of im with hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to defeat the dumbest motherfucker.

but i mean, shit. i know sports bar ist kreig and all and talking about isis wannabes means helping the enemy and all that but he's just being a dick. it's /1900th of the nonsense japanese tourists pull in nyc every single fucking day (yes please lock arms and form a phalanx across the subway platform you fucking gimps).
Eeeeeehhhhhhh, don't cry for him dhextina, the truth is he is a douchebag. Between the plagiarizing of actual artists to make shitty one joke songs that occurred to everyone when the song first came out, to his determination to "become the white Will Smith," to the fact that he seems to have alienated every fucking person who has to interact with him on any kind of basis by being Tom Green without the self-loathing that kept him from getting garroted, this was coming sooner or later. This wasn't AIDS Twitter joke chick.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Jan 2018, 08:58

i don't weep for him. i just wish people had a sense of proportion.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Jan 2018, 09:19

dhex wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 08:58
i don't weep for him. i just wish people had a sense of proportion.
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe wrote: Trin Tragula — for that was his name — was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.
And she would nag him incessantly about the utterly inordinate amount of time he spent staring out into space, or mulling over the mechanics of safety pins, or doing spectrographic analyses of pieces of fairy cake.
“Have some sense of proportion!” she would say, sometimes as often as thirty-eight times in a single day.
And so he built the Total Perspective Vortex — just to show her.
And into one end he plugged the whole of reality as extrapolated from a piece of fairy cake, and into the other end he plugged his wife: so that when he turned it on she saw in one instant the whole infinity of creation and herself in relation to it.
To Trin Tragula’s horror, the shock completely annihilated her brain; but to his satisfaction he realized that he had proved conclusively that if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Jan 2018, 17:29

I understand what dhex is questioning, regarding "Why is some douchebag vlogger getting more ink than actual mass murderers," but IMO it's no mystery why: pretty much everyone agrees the mass murderers are evil, whereas the vlogger is very popular among Kids Today (and indeed, is known precisely for that). Once you report and condemn the truck murderer, there's really nothing more to say about it, and there's definitely not any "WTF is wrong with Kids Today, that so many of them admire this utter douchebag?" angle).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Jan 2018, 21:11

The truck murderer/terrorist was one moment, and the story was never much in doubt. The Cycle of viral celebrity rise and implosion is an addictive form of cultural edging. Gotta get close as we can to a puuuuuurrrrfect person and praise them oh yes reward them oh baby then crush them for that inevitable misstep ahhhh yes that's the good stuff now mmmmm.

Is so good. Let's do it again, ok?

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Jan 2018, 12:36

One in six people think Democrats have a majority of the House and Senate.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Jan 2018, 13:12

Mo wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 12:36
That explains why some people are complaining that dems shouldn't make concessions to end the shutdown.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 22 Jan 2018, 13:14

Mo wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 12:36
Let me guess: That 1-in-6 has higher voter turnout than the rest of the public.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

JD

Post by JD » 31 Jan 2018, 14:28

A California lawmaker proposes making it illegal for restaurants to give you a drinking straw unless you specifically request one, with a $1000 fine and jail time attached. When people called him on it, he started backpedaling, saying "I’d like to clarify that #AB1884 (Straws Upon Request) is (a) NOT a ban; (b) should it become law, it will NOT make it a crime for servers to provide plastic straws. My intention is simply to raise awareness about the detrimental effects of plastic straws on our environment."

a) if it's not a crime, then WTF is it doing in the code
b) the purpose of the code isn't "to raise awareness", you dumb shit

And also in California, a nonprofit has filed suit against a bunch of companies because their coffee isn't labeled as containing acrylamide, a naturally occurring chemical in coffee which has not been shown to cause any ill effects in humans at the levels you consume it at in coffee.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 31 Jan 2018, 17:21

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 Jan 2018, 17:30

thoreau wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 17:21
Museum takes down painting featuring nudity and also removes images of it from gift shop, to "start a conversation."

It used to be that the right did this shit. Now the left does.
Maybe they could replace it with something by Rubens:

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jake

Post by Jake » 31 Jan 2018, 17:34

Ah, yes, "The Fully-Informed and Enthusiastic Consent of the Sabine Women". One of my favorite paintings.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 Jan 2018, 17:38

Jake wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 17:34
Ah, yes, "The Fully-Informed and Enthusiastic Consent of the Sabine Women". One of my favorite paintings.
Thanks for the belly-laugh.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 31 Jan 2018, 17:48

I get the feeling that the gallery's actions are literally and deliberately performance art.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 31 Jan 2018, 17:53

Kolohe wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 17:48
I get the feeling that the gallery's actions are literally and deliberately performance art.
They pretty well say as much in the article, though they don't actually say that the work will ever be put back on display.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 31 Jan 2018, 18:11

Jake wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 17:34
empowering af
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Feb 2018, 11:36

I'm a big Waterhouse fan. Have a Waterhouse print up in my favorite spot in the apartment.

Anyway.

Tfw you have no fucking idea what "to be attributed to" means, I guess?

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Feb 2018, 17:32

nicole wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 11:36
I'm a big Waterhouse fan. Have a Waterhouse print up in my favorite spot in the apartment.

Anyway.

Tfw you have no fucking idea what "to be attributed to" means, I guess?

TIO,
Can you decode for me?

Much grass.

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Feb 2018, 19:04

One of the Twitter trumpkins is acting like there’s something suspicious or untoward about the formulaic preamble to an emailed PR statement.