OFFS: The Forsakening

Warren

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by Warren » 16 Nov 2017, 19:19

dhex wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 17:58
I like how Joe only uses elephant jizz for hair gel these days.
Jealous?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Nov 2017, 00:14

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Nov 2017, 11:24

Mo wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 00:14
Sore loser or sorest loser?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
Bye, Felicia.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Nov 2017, 11:37

Boo this woman for complaining and boo the Navy for apologizing.

http://www.krem.com/news/local/okanogan ... /492496113
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Nov 2017, 12:15

Okay, guys, the contest is over. This man will be the first against the wall:

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Nov 2017, 14:20

"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Nov 2017, 11:34

I was reading about Operation Condor and the South American dirty wars on wiki as I'm prone to doing every 6 months or so (I really need to find a good book on the topic [and on Operation Gladio] so I can retain it better). I noticed this claim:
According to John Henry Coatsworth, a historian of Latin America and the provost of Columbia University, the number of victims in Latin America alone far surpassed that of the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc during the period 1960 to 1990.
Talk about careful line drawing: pick the time frame after the Gulags were officially closed, and omit Cambodia and China. That's also taking a very generous interpretation of Soviet activities since there were still labor camps and political prisoners in that time period.

None of that justifies any of the conduct by the South American dictatorships, but pretending Communism was a non-existent threat by 1960 is prime OFFS material.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Nov 2017, 16:28

It also goes to the left-wingers who like to talk up Pinochet as if he were the worst Latin American dictator ever. He was a bastard, he needed a bullet to the head, but his murders and torturing were a footnote compared to others, especially in the Caribbean.

He was just the footnote who was US-backed and deposed a left-wing president who was building offices with fancy computer-chairs to manage the economy from. That trumps any merely larger butcher's bill.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 07 Dec 2017, 11:20

Philadelphia decides to deal with undesirable businesses by...forbidding them to put up any kind of barrier, like bulletproof glass, between the cashier and customer.

It looks pretty explicitly political:
Supreme Dow, founder and executive director of the Black Writers Museum, said a barrier window in a business “is impersonal.”
“It says to the community: ‘I don’t want human contact,'” he said. “Maybe they [beer deli owners] should consider relocating” if they don’t want to change, he said.
although there was an attempt to give it a fig leaf of - believe it or not -safety:
Thomas Farley, the city’s health commissioner...spoke of the need for restaurant workers to be able to help customers quickly — if, for example, a patron were choking.

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Dec 2017, 11:23

JD wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 11:20
Philadelphia decides to deal with undesirable businesses by...forbidding them to put up any kind of barrier, like bulletproof glass, between the cashier and customer.

It looks pretty explicitly political:
Supreme Dow, founder and executive director of the Black Writers Museum, said a barrier window in a business “is impersonal.”
“It says to the community: ‘I don’t want human contact,'” he said. “Maybe they [beer deli owners] should consider relocating” if they don’t want to change, he said.
although there was an attempt to give it a fig leaf of - believe it or not -safety:
Thomas Farley, the city’s health commissioner...spoke of the need for restaurant workers to be able to help customers quickly — if, for example, a patron were choking.
Ha, I put this straight into the race thread.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Dec 2017, 11:27

Step 1: Businesses leave.
Step 2: Decry the existence of food deserts.
Step 3: ?
Step 4: More power. Equality and justice forever.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Dec 2017, 11:31

Cause everyone knows that fewer businesses and less investment in a community is always a good thing for it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 07 Dec 2017, 11:48

In all fairness, it does sound like a lot of these delis are the kind that basically sell beer and not much else. But still, criticizing the businesses and their bulletproof barriers is attacking the symptom, not the disease.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Dec 2017, 12:48

JD wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 11:48
In all fairness, it does sound like a lot of these delis are the kind that basically sell beer and not much else. But still, criticizing the businesses and their bulletproof barriers is attacking the symptom, not the disease.
From what I've read, the majority of their business is indeed beer and other "non-healthy" items, yes, but I've also read (not about Philadelphia in particular, but "big city bad neighborhood" stores in general), that such stores can't stay in business off of food alone; if anything, you could say the sale of beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets "subsidizes" the sale of food and other things which the neighborhood genuinely needs.

Grocery stores don't have a very high profit margin, and it takes only a very small percentage of dishonest shoplifters to put such a store into the red.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 07 Dec 2017, 15:39

Jennifer wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 12:48
JD wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 11:48
From what I've read, the majority of their business is indeed beer and other "non-healthy" items, yes, but I've also read (not about Philadelphia in particular, but "big city bad neighborhood" stores in general), that such stores can't stay in business off of food alone; if anything, you could say the sale of beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets "subsidizes" the sale of food and other things which the neighborhood genuinely needs.

Grocery stores don't have a very high profit margin, and it takes only a very small percentage of dishonest shoplifters to put such a store into the red.
Or one shot from a 9mm.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Dec 2017, 20:58

Gee, I wonder why people think voter ID laws are not-so secretly voter suppression laws?
Every single county in which blacks make up more than 75 percent of registered voters will see their driver license office closed. Every one.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Dec 2017, 11:23

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Dec 2017, 12:44

A judge in Alabama ruled that election officials in the state must preserve voting records from today's special senatorial election, in case a recount is demanded. The Alabama Supreme Court threw that decision out late last night, without even bothering to offer an explanation.

They're not even TRYING to look non-corrupt, here.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/36 ... -in-senate
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » Yesterday, 19:16

Jennifer wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 12:44
A judge in Alabama ruled that election officials in the state must preserve voting records from today's special senatorial election, in case a recount is demanded. The Alabama Supreme Court threw that decision out late last night, without even bothering to offer an explanation.

They're not even TRYING to look non-corrupt, here.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/36 ... -in-senate
Because there are already laws in place regarding recounts:
https://ballotpedia.org/Recount_laws_in_Alabama
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Yesterday, 19:20

True dat.