There must be a pony in here somewhere.

fyodor

Re: There must be a pony in here somewhere.

Post by fyodor » 27 Jun 2017, 11:16

Painboy wrote:That's how it is with employers. Well except a lot more generous given the smaller lockout time. For employers you can only sign up when you are first eligible or when the once a year window opens. I don't see anything wrong with that being in the bill.
I'm confused cause I thought there was already an "open enrollment" window in the ACA that mirrored what you're talking about.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Jun 2017, 11:24

fyodor wrote:
Painboy wrote:That's how it is with employers. Well except a lot more generous given the smaller lockout time. For employers you can only sign up when you are first eligible or when the once a year window opens. I don't see anything wrong with that being in the bill.
I'm confused cause I thought there was already an "open enrollment" window in the ACA that mirrored what you're talking about.
Yeah, I don't understand this either. When L-dub lost his ACA individual-market plan at the end of 2015 and didn't do anything about it, he told me he wasn't able to get insurance for all of 2016, until the next open enrollment. (Of course, I don't know why I would necessarily believe him about this.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Shem

Post by Shem » 27 Jun 2017, 11:43

"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 Jun 2017, 12:06

I had that fun with an antibiotic that only needed to be taken once a day, not twice. Sleazy. And shows that doctors tend to be dumb outside of medicine.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Jun 2017, 12:11

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
I had that fun with an antibiotic that only needed to be taken once a day, not twice. Sleazy. And shows that doctors tend to be dumb outside of medicine.
The pharma companies provide them with samplers and encourage the doctors to promote it. Actually paying the doctors to prescribe it is illegal, but the docs can be invited to 'conferences.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Jun 2017, 12:13

New econtalk covers a lot of this stuff too. This kind of patent shenanigans is the kind of thing I wish more calories were spent trying to fix.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 27 Jun 2017, 12:30

JasonL wrote:New econtalk covers a lot of this stuff too. This kind of patent shenanigans is the kind of thing I wish more calories were spent trying to fix.
Wait, you mean getting rid of Capitalism wouldn't take care of it?
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Jun 2017, 12:32

I can't believe that article didn't blame the doctor more.

Or the patient.

Or the insurers!

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Jun 2017, 13:45

nicole wrote:I can't believe that article didn't blame the doctor more.

Or the patient.

Or the insurers!
His insurer seems to have actually done the sensible thing and telling everyone to take a hike. I'd tell a doc to take a hike if he submitted a prescription request without explaining it to me.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Jun 2017, 13:49

His insurer, yes, but evidently some are paying for it.

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Jun 2017, 13:55

Based on how much they're making now, it sounds like they're making close to generic prices from the insurers
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Jun 2017, 15:57

ugh fuck you all

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Jun 2017, 16:15

Who do they think they are reaching/freaking out with that bullshit? Are they not paying attention to how unpopular this bill already is?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Shem

Post by Shem » 27 Jun 2017, 16:25

Hugh Akston wrote:Who do they think they are reaching/freaking out with that bullshit? Are they not paying attention to how unpopular this bill already is?

Nobody. It's about reaffirming the faithful, not converting the unbelievers. Might as well ask who those Christians are convincing with their Baptisms.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Jun 2017, 16:38

Hugh Akston wrote:Who do they think they are reaching/freaking out with that bullshit? Are they not paying attention to how unpopular this bill already is?
Team Blue is just playing the game Team Red played when the ACA was originally passed.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Jun 2017, 16:50

All I know is I'm never going to be able to watch that mf show.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 27 Jun 2017, 21:57

nicole wrote:All I know is I'm never going to be able to watch that mf show.
I really upset someone the other day (while trolling) when I said "Oh that's the show based on that young adult novel, right?"
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Jun 2017, 23:07

Hahaha but those people love YA

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Jun 2017, 06:48

When my wife and I first started dating she was much more lace curtain irish-y than now. So she'd sometimes make assumptions about my cultural experiences. She asked me once while in strand if I'd ever read that book (I had).

I told her "nah, I don't dig chick lit"

I'm still proud of myself. Even today that would be a good prank in, say, the jezebellian sphere. Especially since they're continually jerking off about the book and how prescient/applicable it is to Donald trump/saudi America.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jul 2017, 08:46

In February, Rand Paul was opposed to a repeal now, replace later bill (which was endorsed by POTUS). Now Paul advocates for a repeal now, replace later bill (also endorsed by POTUS). If I didn't know any better, I would think that Rand wants Obamacare to stick around forever.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jul 2017, 11:13

Mo wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 08:46
In February, Rand Paul was opposed to a repeal now, replace later bill (which was endorsed by POTUS). Now Paul advocates for a repeal now, replace later bill (also endorsed by POTUS). If I didn't know any better, I would think that Rand wants Obamacare to stick around forever.
Any chance he (probably rightly) assumes that an O-care repeal that leads to even a few sob stories will basically guarantee some sort of single-payer type system sooner rather than later?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 17 Jul 2017, 16:11

lunchstealer wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 11:13
Mo wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 08:46
Any chance he (probably rightly) assumes that an O-care repeal that leads to even a few sob stories will basically guarantee some sort of single-payer type system sooner rather than later?

My favorite suggestion:

Paul is ideologically conservative/libertarian, and he was elected by a conservative electorate. But he's also aware that Kentucky has an unusually high number of people who are benefitting from/dependent on Obamacare subsidies. Opposing the bill from the right allows him to not look like a squishy liberal while also not winding up with a whole bunch of people pissed off at him for taking their subsidies away.

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Jul 2017, 16:15

I followed his thinking on this. In Feb. repeal without replace would lead to upheaval and a feeding frenzy in the press of stories about someone not getting the care they need every day, day after day without end. Now that he sees what the "replace" looks like, it's even worse than that.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Jul 2017, 21:22

This is why we're going to get single payer and why we'll deserve it.

JasonL

There must be a pony in here somewhere.

Post by JasonL » 24 Jul 2017, 23:46

I'm so tired of docs hiding behind everyone when the thing is they are the ones being overpaid. Emcare is doing it because docs want them to do it. Those docs don't just so happen not to have agreements with insurance companies, they want the bargaining power and don't do those deals so they get paid more.