There must be a pony in here somewhere.

Andrew

There must be a pony in here somewhere.

Post by Andrew » 03 Jul 2013, 09:30

Employer mandate delayed

Of course, the fine tax on individuals for not having health care remains in place...
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Aresen

Re: There must be a pony in here somewhere.

Post by Aresen » 04 Jul 2013, 16:31

Andrew wrote:Employer mandate delayed

Of course, the fine tax on individuals for not having health care remains in place...
I am betting that enforcement of the individual mandate will also be postponed until after the November 2014 elections.

At which point, Team Blue will make every effort to pin the awfulness of it on the "GOP Congress".
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Jul 2013, 12:11

The GOP will vote to delay the individual mandate and the employer mandate, Obama says he will veto both.

I've yet to understand how Obama has unilateral authority to delay the employer mandate.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 18 Jul 2013, 14:11

Andrew wrote:The GOP will vote to delay the individual mandate and the employer mandate, Obama says he will veto both.

I've yet to understand how Obama has unilateral authority to delay the employer mandate.
It's good to be the king.

/Mel Brooks

More seriously, due to the way courts have interpreted standing on similar issues, I doubt anyone can bring a court case. So the only other option is for the Congress to impeach for failure to faithfully execute. I won't hold my breath for that to happen.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jul 2013, 14:25

tr0g wrote:
Andrew wrote:The GOP will vote to delay the individual mandate and the employer mandate, Obama says he will veto both.

It's good to be the king.

/Mel Brooks

More seriously, due to the way courts have interpreted standing on similar issues, I doubt anyone can bring a court case. So the only other option is for the Congress to impeach for failure to faithfully execute. I won't hold my breath for that to happen.
What are the implications, if any, if he vetoes both bills but the administration still delays the employer mandate? How is that not a constitutional crisis? It seems very, very juicy to me.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jul 2013, 14:47

It's only a crisis if Congress gets the spine to Impeach.

That is not going to happen, not even if BHO sodomizes an Altar Boy in the nave of the National Cathedral during a nationally televised Sunday service. (Well, maybe if it interrupted the Superbowl broadcast.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 18 Jul 2013, 14:51

Not happening.

Also, I haven't seen much criticism from Team Blue for this. He's taking the side of business in their "Big Business v The Little Guy" dynamic...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Jul 2013, 10:32

Half of death star contractors are part-timers to avoid paying benefits.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jul 2013, 10:52

Hugh Akston wrote:Half of death star contractors are part-timers to avoid paying benefits.
Warren Meyer has been hammering that point for a couple years, saying it's coming, and now more people are catching on.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 30 Jul 2013, 11:17

Highway wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Half of death star contractors are part-timers to avoid paying benefits.
Warren Meyer has been hammering that point for a couple years, saying it's coming, and now more people are catching on.
I wonder if Team Blue will try to pin it on Corporate Greed. That goes down well with the Left, I'm not so sure about the Center.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 30 Jul 2013, 11:22

Highway wrote:
Pure Speculation:

I also remember hearing that working part-time exempts people from the individual mandate. I'll need to double-check that, but if true, that is: if it becomes more cost-effective for both employees and employers to desire part time, is this a back-door way of pushing America toward a European-style work week?

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 30 Jul 2013, 11:46

Taktix® wrote:
Highway wrote:
Pure Speculation:

I also remember hearing that working part-time exempts people from the individual mandate. I'll need to double-check that, but if true, that is: if it becomes more cost-effective for both employees and employers to desire part time, is this a back-door way of pushing America toward a European-style work week?
Working part-time doesn't exempt you from the individual mandate. It exempts the employer from the employer mandate. To be clear, you're required to have insurance no matter what your income. If you are poor enough, you need to be on Medicaid. If you're lower to middle-class, you need to be on the exchanges.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jul 2013, 11:53

I am not remotely surprised to learn that business owners will be exempt from the mandate, whereas the poor individuals the mandate is allegedly supposed to help will still face fines and/or jailtime for not complying with it.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 30 Jul 2013, 12:12

Jennifer wrote:I am not remotely surprised to learn that business owners will be exempt from the mandate, whereas the poor individuals the mandate is allegedly supposed to help will still face fines and/or jailtime for not complying with it.
Huh? Do you want people who work five hours a week to be entitled to health insurance on their employer's dime? There has to be a cutoff somewhere.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Jul 2013, 12:14

I think she's just making the "some animals are more equal than others" point.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jul 2013, 12:19

Ayn_Randian wrote:
Jennifer wrote:I am not remotely surprised to learn that business owners will be exempt from the mandate, whereas the poor individuals the mandate is allegedly supposed to help will still face fines and/or jailtime for not complying with it.
Huh? Do you want people who work five hours a week to be entitled to health insurance on their employer's dime? There has to be a cutoff somewhere.
What I want is for the individual mandate to be scrapped, because I don't think "not having health insurance" should be a matter for law enforcement. And I'd also like to see an end to this ridiculous bullshit status quo that health insurance is something you get through your boss. (I was re-reading some old threads here, and found the one where I was extremely worried about finances because Jeff had lost his job -- I said something to the effect of "Thank God that fuckhead FDR didn't decide 'auto insurance' should also be provided through your job; Jeff and I cannot currently afford health insurance, but at least we can still legally afford to drive because our premiums didn't become ten times more expensive the second he became unemployed.")

However, if the individual mandate and "get it through your job" rules are to remain, then I'd at least like to see everyone held to the same deadlines: if the employers get to delay mandatory obedience to Obamacare, ordinary people should be allowed to delay it as well.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jul 2013, 12:20

The suspension of the employer side of the mandate is a precursor to punting the individual mandate. I don't think it is sustainable politically or practically to do that unless you want to flood exchanges that won't be ready yet.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Jul 2013, 15:19

So who are they going to blame when this glacier of clusterfuck starts rolling over people? I mean aside from libertarians.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 30 Jul 2013, 15:28

Painboy wrote:So who are they going to blame when this glacier of clusterfuck starts rolling over people? I mean aside from libertarians.
Depends who is in office when the glacialfuck becomes evident....

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Jul 2013, 15:30

Taktix® wrote:
Painboy wrote:So who are they going to blame when this glacier of clusterfuck starts rolling over people? I mean aside from libertarians.
Depends who is in office when the glacialfuck becomes evident....
* cough, cough *

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jul 2013, 15:31

I will be curious to see how what appears to be a complete failure to implement will play in the media where Obama can get away with basically anything. It was his signature move and completely aside and it is appearing impossible to implement completely on it's own merits. This isn't the TP or someone campaigning to erode confidence in the measure - the actual people who actually have to make this happen are saying "this isn't workable built like this". The commitment to preserve employer sponsored plans "if you like your plan you will get to keep your plan" can't work in combination with both mandates and the mandatory coverage pieces. Too many ponies.

I'm on record and still believe that the mandate is the only part of it that really makes sense to me. It offends me much less than someone never paying an insurance premium in their lives showing up looking for healthcare on the public dime. The mandate is the most viscerally disliked yet most reasonable part of the whole thing. The maintenance of employer tax breaks, the defitinions of allowable plan designs, the vaguery of state exchange that apparenly can only offer the two higher priced allowable options under law, the confusion about how to calculate pay out ratios for HSA+HDHP - these are the death by 1,000 cuts you are seeing.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Jul 2013, 15:41

JasonL wrote: I'm on record and still believe that the mandate is the only part of it that really makes sense to me. It offends me much less than someone never paying an insurance premium in their lives showing up looking for healthcare on the public dime.
I'm the exact opposite: the mandate is the worst part of it for me, because now the mere fact "a person exists, and lives in America" is all it takes for them to be legally obligated to become a customer of whatever private company has the right government connections.

EDIT: And, of course, the fact that pretty much everything except the individual mandate looks on track to be postponed or suspended does nothing to reduce my suspicion "Anything that provides yet another excuse for American law enforcement to punish an individual is destined to turn out badly."
Last edited by Jennifer on 30 Jul 2013, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jul 2013, 15:47

JasonL wrote:I will be curious to see how what appears to be a complete failure to implement will play in the media where Obama can get away with basically anything. It was his signature move and completely aside and it is appearing impossible to implement completely on it's own merits. This isn't the TP or someone campaigning to erode confidence in the measure - the actual people who actually have to make this happen are saying "this isn't workable built like this". The commitment to preserve employer sponsored plans "if you like your plan you will get to keep your plan" can't work in combination with both mandates and the mandatory coverage pieces. Too many ponies.
It's the evil Republicans' fault for refusing to agree to legislative fixes and only going for a wholesale repeal, obviously.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jul 2013, 15:52

Jennifer wrote:
JasonL wrote: I'm on record and still believe that the mandate is the only part of it that really makes sense to me. It offends me much less than someone never paying an insurance premium in their lives showing up looking for healthcare on the public dime.
I'm the exact opposite: the mandate is the worst part of it for me, because now the mere fact "a person exists, and lives in America" is all it takes for them to be legally obligated to become a customer of whatever private company has the right government connections.
Yup. Ground well covered. I understand your position but do not agree with it.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 30 Jul 2013, 15:53

JasonL wrote: The commitment to preserve employer sponsored plans "if you like your plan you will get to keep your plan" can't work in combination with both mandates and the mandatory coverage pieces. Too many ponies.
I get the part about the mandatory coverage aspect. I'm not sure if I follow the mandates effect.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy