Mattingly, I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!

What kind of facial hair do you have?

Clean shaven
47%
Sideburns
No votes
Mustache
6%
Goatee
22%
Full beard
19%
Other (describe!)
6%

Total votes: 32

Fin Fang Foom

Re: Mattingly, I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 01 Dec 2016, 22:10

If I hit the gym and grew a beard, I'd look like I was doing bad Riker cosplay.

Let's be honest, Thomas Riker.

I can do the chair thing if needed.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 04 Mar 2017, 21:41

Own it, mah brutha!

Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Mar 2017, 00:36

I actually have to change my answer, since I decided to regrow the beard I had in my twenties. There's more than a little salt in the pepper, but I'm adjusting.

What puzzles me is...beard oil, which I'd never heard of before recently Does it actually do anything? I've been using it for a bit over a week, and I don't notice any difference, at least not to the touch.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 07 Mar 2017, 02:57

Eric the .5b wrote:I actually have to change my answer, since I decided to regrow the beard I had in my twenties. There's more than a little salt in the pepper, but I'm adjusting.

What puzzles me is...beard oil, which I'd never heard of before recently Does it actually do anything? I've been using it for a bit over a week, and I don't notice any difference, at least not to the touch.
I just started using this stuff a few weeks ago. I find that it's a tad softer. More important this is the first time I've grown a "full beard", mid-winter no less, and it seems to cut down on the itchiness. Besides, the wife likes the way it smells.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Mar 2017, 10:29

Yeah, there's no way I'm putting more oil on my face. I have skipped the beard oil mainly for that reason. Plus I don't need to be shinier
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 07 Mar 2017, 12:29

I liked beard oil, because I found it made my beard softer and less prone to tangling and split ends. It made more of a difference when my beard was longer, though - now that it's pretty short, it doesn't matter much.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Mar 2017, 08:35

i have many feelings about beard oil, which i will sum up here:

1) it's an unalloyed good. especially if you have shitbird well water in the middle of fuckballs nowhere.
2) the expensive stuff smells really nice but c'mon. this stuff is the business, scent wise https://www.thebarbacorp.com/products/terra-beard-oil but at $25 bucks an oz...nah.
3) etsy is your friend. you can get 3oz of perfectly fine cedar (my pref) or whatever scented stuff or unscented if you're into that kind of thing for about 20 bucks, or less than a third per oz of the fancy shit.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Mar 2017, 20:15

Hmm. As it is, I have an oily face and scalp, and my beard is thick enough that I'm not washing it along with my face, but shampooing-and-conditioning it with my hair. So, now I'm experimenting with a few weeks without the beard oil I bought. After that, I'll give it a week or two with the oil and see whether I notice any difference.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 13 Jan 2018, 22:20

After 7 years, I've gone back to clean-shaven. We'll see how long I can tolerate dealing with razors again.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jan 2018, 22:22

Andrew wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 22:20
After 7 years, I've gone back to clean-shaven. We'll see how long I can tolerate dealing with razors again.
Are razors easier to deal with than Norelco?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Jan 2018, 16:41

Warren wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 22:22
Andrew wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 22:20
Are razors easier to deal with than Norelco?
I pulled out my Norelco the other day, and it was not as good as a Mach III. Had to pull out the Old Spice (just the after-shave, which is probably a bottle I bought before they even started trying to be the New Axe) because my neck was burning.

Speaking of which, Andrew, were you able to go completely razor-free? I can't quite commit to the 'beard goes from cheekbones to collar bones' look, so I still have to shave. But shaving is much faster, with the only difficult bit being the adam's apple, which isn't that bad at all.

mrs lunch got me a little tub of Honest Amish Beard Balm as a stocking stuffer, and while it does give my beard a bit of luster, gawd does it smell. No idea if it's terrible for your skin, but it'd be most valuable for more formal/social occasions, and they often involve eating and/or drinking. Having a super-botanical-fragrance thing sitting right under your nose seems like it would interfere strongly with the flavor of anything tasty.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jan 2018, 17:04

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 16:41
I pulled out my Norelco the other day, and it was not as good as a Mach III. Had to pull out the Old Spice (just the after-shave, which is probably a bottle I bought before they even started trying to be the New Axe) because my neck was burning.
Maybe the blades are dull. How long has it bee setting on the shelf? Is it a 5500 or better? Ever try it in the shower?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Jan 2018, 12:47

lunchstealer wrote:
Speaking of which, Andrew, were you able to go completely razor-free? I can't quite commit to the 'beard goes from cheekbones to collar bones' look, so I still have to shave. But shaving is much faster, with the only difficult bit being the adam's apple, which isn't that bad at all.
I bought a small Wahl trimmer and used that to buzz down any hair on my neck. With no guard on it, it worked pretty well.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Jan 2018, 17:16

Warren wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 17:04
lunchstealer wrote:
Maybe the blades are dull. How long has it bee setting on the shelf? Is it a 5500 or better? Ever try it in the shower?
It was a gift, so I assume it was pretty cheapo. It's not more than 9 or 10 years old, and hasn't seen hard use because for most of eight of those years, I've had a beard and only had to do the neck and cheekbones. Never tried it in the shower.

Honestly I do so well with Mach III blades that I don't even use shaving cream or the like, and haven't had a nick in a few years, and just pulled the Norelco out because I didn't want to walk to the other bathroom where my razor was.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jan 2018, 17:43

lunchstealer wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 17:16
I ... just pulled the Norelco out because I didn't want to walk to the other bathroom where my razor was.
:lol: Roger Roger
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Jan 2018, 23:57

I have to admit I have never used aftershave in my life. Other than the smell I don't see the point. What am I missing?

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jan 2018, 00:13

Painboy wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 23:57
I have to admit I have never used aftershave in my life. Other than the smell I don't see the point. What am I missing?
The tightening of the pores. A most manly sensation.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Jan 2018, 00:30

Keeps your skin from drying out so much after the mild trauma you inflicted on it by shaving.

If I don't use aftershave I find myself itching like crazy about ten minutes after I shave.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Jan 2018, 13:47

Warren wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 00:13
Painboy wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 23:57
The tightening of the pores. A most manly sensation.
Bracing!

I only use it when I can tell my blade had gone a bit dull and I get the scraping feeling rather than a clean shave.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Jan 2018, 11:03

Jadagul wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 00:30
Keeps your skin from drying out so much after the mild trauma you inflicted on it by shaving.

If I don't use aftershave I find myself itching like crazy about ten minutes after I shave.
yup. i also shave my head so it's super important. i have special skin.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Jan 2018, 11:32

dhex wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 11:03
Jadagul wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 00:30

yup. i also shave my head so it's super important. i have special skin.
By which I assume you mean scales. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Jan 2018, 11:49

i'm not sloan ranger enough for scales.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Jan 2018, 13:18

I'very been just running a wet bar of alum over my skin, lately. It's been surprisingly comfortable, and if I have any nicks, it's less painful and more effective than styptic pens I've used.

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jan 2018, 16:27

I use witch hazel and some Trumpers Skin food, works like a charm.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 18 Jan 2018, 10:02

Eric the .5b wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 13:18
I'very been just running a wet bar of alum over my skin, lately. It's been surprisingly comfortable, and if I have any nicks, it's less painful and more effective than styptic pens I've used.
I'd never heard of this before. I'm intrigued.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex