Mattingly, I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!

What kind of facial hair do you have?

Clean shaven
47%
Sideburns
No votes
Mustache
6%
Goatee
22%
Full beard
19%
Other (describe!)
6%

Total votes: 32

lunchstealer

Re: Mattingly, I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Aug 2016, 17:22

Andrew wrote:The barber and I were not quite on the same page when he trimmed my beard. I went from 5 months of growth to 3 weeks of growth. It's the shortest it's been since I've had a beard.

I imagine it explains why I got carded for the first time in several years while buying booze.
I got carded yesterday, despite huge gray patches in my beard and hair (it's less obvious in the hair - in certain light the combo of still-brown with the gray gives the whole thing a blondish look), but I think it was because my checker was under-age and so had to call in the head cashier to ring up the booze, and she didn't know if it was me or the younger looking woman behind me in line who was purchasing the booze.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Aug 2016, 19:30

I got carded also a couple days ago, but I think it was also a rookie cashier making sure he was crossing t's and dotting i's while his boss was watching.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 14 Nov 2016, 17:40

Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Nov 2016, 18:35

I was carded into my 40's. I remember the last ten years of that being irritating. Now cashiers and such make jokes about not needing to card me. Like so many things, I wish I had :roll: less, and ;) more while I still could.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Nov 2016, 11:17

University of Queensland study indicates that women want stubbly men in the short term, but full beards in the long term.
The researchers analyzed the responses of 8,520 women, who rated the photos in an online survey. Across the board, women preferred any type of facial hair to a clean shave. For short-term relationships, they rated stubble as more attractive than beards, which they rated higher for long-term relationships. Overall, they rated extremely masculine and extremely feminine faces as the least attractive, regardless of relationship length. Facial hair lessened the effects of feminizing or masculinizing the photos on attractiveness, suggesting that it nudges a man’s appearance toward the attractiveness “sweet spot” between feminine and masculine. For instance, a beard might balance out softer, more effeminate features, or mask the chiseled, masculine features that signal a man appropriate for taking to bed — but maybe not home to meet Mom.
The study doesn't address the question of who would want to date women with such appalling taste in the first place.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Nov 2016, 11:23

Hugh Akston wrote:University of Queensland study indicates that women want stubbly men in the short term, but full beards in the long term.
The researchers analyzed the responses of 8,520 women, who rated the photos in an online survey. Across the board, women preferred any type of facial hair to a clean shave. For short-term relationships, they rated stubble as more attractive than beards, which they rated higher for long-term relationships. Overall, they rated extremely masculine and extremely feminine faces as the least attractive, regardless of relationship length. Facial hair lessened the effects of feminizing or masculinizing the photos on attractiveness, suggesting that it nudges a man’s appearance toward the attractiveness “sweet spot” between feminine and masculine. For instance, a beard might balance out softer, more effeminate features, or mask the chiseled, masculine features that signal a man appropriate for taking to bed — but maybe not home to meet Mom.
The study doesn't address the question of who would want to date women with such appalling taste in the first place.
Dudes with the poor taste to have facial hair?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Nov 2016, 11:32

So, short version: length matters?

JD

Post by JD » 30 Nov 2016, 11:32

nicole wrote:Dudes with the poor taste to have facial hair?
/evil eye to nicole
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 30 Nov 2016, 14:58

I always wanted to be able to grow a good full lumberjack/viking/dwarf beard, but sadly, I only have neckbeard genes. Sideburns and cheeks remain wispy no matter how long I let it grow.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 30 Nov 2016, 15:05

Speaking of sideburns:

Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 30 Nov 2016, 17:42

I've never really been a fan of facial hair, but I haven't shaven my face for a week or so, and it's been growing on me.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Nov 2016, 17:49

Jadagul wrote:I've never really been a fan of facial hair, but I haven't shaven my face for a week or so, and it's been growing on me.
I can't decide which is worse: the pun, or that you probably didn't intend it.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Nov 2016, 17:54

I've always preferred clean-shaven men (lucky thing, since my husband seems incapable of growing facial hair), with one exception: Rowan Atkinson, of all people. The first time I saw him in anything was the Elizabethan Black Adder series, and while his character was of course an utter sleazebag, I though he was actually fairly good looking -- enough to be actually shocked when I saw clean-shaven Mr Bean and realized this was the same guy.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 30 Nov 2016, 19:03

Hugh Akston wrote:
Jadagul wrote:I've never really been a fan of facial hair, but I haven't shaven my face for a week or so, and it's been growing on me.
I can't decide which is worse: the pun, or that you probably didn't intend it.
Have a little faith, of course I intended it.

I mean, I formed that phrase once to myself unintentionally. Because it was accurate. But the pun was too good to pass up. So it's now been bouncing around inside my head.

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Nov 2016, 19:08

nicole wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:University of Queensland study indicates that women want stubbly men in the short term, but full beards in the long term.
Dudes with the poor taste to have facial hair?
bro. bro. broooooo. c'mon. bro.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Nov 2016, 22:59

The age difference in the way I look with a beard and without is probably about 15 years. And for me it actually grows well - no neckbeard, not much gray. My wife likes prefers the way it looks vs without.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 30 Nov 2016, 23:45

Highway wrote:The age difference in the way I look with a beard and without is probably about 15 years. And for me it actually grows well - no neckbeard, not much gray. My wife likes prefers the way it looks vs without.
When I have a bit of scruff or facial hair I look older. Like I'm in my late twenties or early thirties.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Nov 2016, 23:57

Jadagul wrote:
Highway wrote:The age difference in the way I look with a beard and without is probably about 15 years. And for me it actually grows well - no neckbeard, not much gray. My wife likes prefers the way it looks vs without.
When I have a bit of scruff or facial hair I look older. Like I'm in my late twenties or early thirties.
You mean like you in fact are?

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 01 Dec 2016, 00:00

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
You mean like you in fact are?
Yes, exactly like that.

When I shave clean and dress down I can pass for a college student.

The people who meet me in the gym don't realize I'm a professor until I say something. Sometimes this takes months.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Dec 2016, 06:58

My beard is about 7 colors, two of which are white and gray. Even so, people guess my age in the mid to late 20s, and I get carded a puzzling amount of the time.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Dec 2016, 11:31

My apparent weight increases by 10 lbs per day I don't shave. Face jowels chin jawline thing is non conducive.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Dec 2016, 12:10

My beard goes from my cheekbones to my clavicle (where it meets my chest hair) so I have to shave to keep neckbeard at bay. And I've got a big patch of gray around my chin.

It looks fucking glorious.
Attachments
Me1.png
Me1.png (155.48 KiB) Viewed 490 times
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2016, 12:15

lunchstealer wrote:
My beard goes from my cheekbones to my clavicle (where it meets my chest hair) so I have to shave to keep neckbeard at bay. And I've got a big patch of gray around my chin.

serenitysprings married beneath her.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Dec 2016, 12:55

lunchstealer wrote:

totes jelly
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 01 Dec 2016, 21:51

fine