Mattingly, I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!

What kind of facial hair do you have?

Clean shaven
47%
Sideburns
No votes
Mustache
6%
Goatee
22%
Full beard
19%
Other (describe!)
6%

Total votes: 32

Andrew

Mattingly, I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!

Post by Andrew » 24 Jun 2013, 15:17

Inspired by the gryllmeet thread and the discussion of goatees therein...
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Highway

Re: Mattingly, I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!

Post by Highway » 24 Jun 2013, 15:19

I think technically it's a 'circle beard' but noone makes a distinction between a goatee and circle beard anymore.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2013, 15:21

Technically it's a Van Dyke and not a goatee. I tried a genuine goatee, it didn't work out.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 24 Jun 2013, 15:26

Funny, I was asking the GF this morning if she had any photos of me from my bearded phase about a year ago. There were several iterations I'm proud of. Alas, now I shave every day for work.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Jun 2013, 15:27

I can't choose my facial hair! You all need to check your testosteroprivilege! *runs out of thread sobbing*

(off the top of my head I can't remember what kind of facial hair David has. Geez, it's not like I live with the guy or anything. :oops: )
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

JD

Post by JD » 24 Jun 2013, 15:29

I think you would call it a "circle beard". I'd like to do something a little more baroque, but it's hard to find a style that would work well with a shaved head.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 24 Jun 2013, 15:31

I know there are differences among goatee, circle beard, and van dyke, but getting into that would've meant a poll with 30 options. Even I'm not enough of a pedant to care that much.

I went full beard two years ago and haven't missed shaving one bit. I vary between "well-kept professional beard" and "six-month homeless beard," but not having to run a razor anywhere near my mouth is a delight.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 24 Jun 2013, 15:38

I have enthusiastically adopted the "several days worth of stubble" look preferred by 90% of all male movie stars. Which is another way of saying I'm clean shaven around twice a week.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 24 Jun 2013, 15:52

Clean shaven, as required by my careers. I shave daily, even on weekends, as I don't like the feel of stubble.
In college, I had a long goatee, and just before and after Scout was born, I regrew the goatee, as I wasn't responding to fire calls.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Jun 2013, 15:55

Clean shaven, because I am not homeless and do not wish to encourage the belief that I am.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2013, 16:01

Circle beard? Learn to talk gooder English Sonny.
That is not one of the styles listed amongst the Types of Beards.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 24 Jun 2013, 16:02

I describe my moustache as a "classic aviator." Think neatly trimmed battle of britain.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Jun 2013, 16:05

Warren wrote:Circle beard? Learn to talk gooder English Sonny.
Ahem
Circle beard — Commonly mistaken for the goatee or the Tae Han Kim, the circle beard is a small chin beard that connects around the mouth to a moustache. Also called a doorknocker.[58]
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 24 Jun 2013, 16:07

Warren wrote:Circle beard? Learn to talk gooder English Sonny.
More or less a Van Dyke, I suppose, although usually trimmed more closely. Remember, a goatee technically describes only the beard, not the mustache as well.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 24 Jun 2013, 16:08

I'm the only one with a moustache? I am surprised to be honest.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Jun 2013, 16:08

I was clean shaven until about 10 years ago. At the insistence of a guy in my band, I tried the beard, and it instantly made me go from looking like a 20 year old to a 35 year old. And since then it's probably helped mellow aging a bit. I used to not shave every day, with a blade, then did shave every day with a Norelco rotary, and now I shave every day with a top of the line Norelco (which is so much better than the middle of the line Norelco that it's not even a contest. Seriously, best shaver ever...).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 24 Jun 2013, 16:11

Which brings up the topic: how do you shave? Double-edged safety razor for me. There is a little bit of a startup cost and learning curve, but not much of one, and after that it's not only one of the cleanest shaves, but also one of the cheapest.

dhex

Post by dhex » 24 Jun 2013, 16:12

i've tried to do the head with a safety razor and it was not my jam. i'll stick to the mach tres
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 24 Jun 2013, 16:12

Clean-shaven, always and forever. To answer JD's question, I shave with bog-standard cartridges from Dollar Shave Club.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Jun 2013, 16:15

I settled at the 3 blades zone of the continuum. It costs too much, but strikes the right balance of not face irritating, bendy in the right ways, and shaves cleanly on only one stroke down and a stroke up after if you feel like it. Critical for me is super thick shave gel.

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Jun 2013, 16:16

Not the cheapest, but so much better than every other electric shaver and blade I've ever tried that it's worth it.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/mens-shavi ... 42/prd/en/

The price on the site is a bit high tho.

Also, the wet/dry thing is definitely a good thing, I don't think I've ever had a better shave than when I used it wet with shaving creme, but it's too much of a hassle to do every day. Normally it's a minute and done.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 24 Jun 2013, 16:18

Fusion blades (5 blades? 30? I don't even know any more) with canned shave gel. I recently picked up a tube of shave lotion (neutogena, maybe?), and like it quite a bit.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Jun 2013, 16:19

I also use double edged safety razors with a badger brush. Been doing it for three years now. At this point, if I make 2 passes I get very close to the same as with cartridge and with 3 passes*, it's as smooth as a baby's ass. What blades do you use, JD? I use the Polisilver Silver Iridium. They have the best combination of feel and sharpness. I found the Feathers too be perfectly sharp, but too harsh.

The one thing I miss about cartridges is the ability to do it fast, when hungover.

* For weddings and funerals only
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 24 Jun 2013, 16:21

Highway wrote:Not the cheapest, but so much better than every other electric shaver and blade I've ever tried that it's worth it.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/mens-shavi ... 42/prd/en/

The price on the site is a bit high tho.

Also, the wet/dry thing is definitely a good thing, I don't think I've ever had a better shave than when I used it wet with shaving creme, but it's too much of a hassle to do every day. Normally it's a minute and done.
Holy crap, that's expensive. I mean....Jebus.
I've considered some of the electrics in the $100-$150 range, but just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on shaving gear, especially since I'm not sure it will work well. The last time I used an electric razor for any length of time was in the Marines, and with that one, I had to shave twice a day to keep the senior NCOs off my ass.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 24 Jun 2013, 16:22

Question for the safety razor guys: how often did you cut yourself while learning to use the things?