Setec Astronomy

Mo

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Mo »

JasonL wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 22:04
I have the concern about huawei and don’t have a particular take about us having monitoring capability. I mean it’s bad but not the same as chi coms with finger on the pulse. I don’t want China with that kind of ability.
The difference being that lots of folks assumed the company was clean and didn’t do due diligence. With Huawei because of the presumption of guilt, a lot more due diligence will be done than if it was someone like Qualcomm or someone else from a friendly country.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Long read by a journalist who has met with Snowden
The MacBook Air I used for everyday computing seemed another likely target. I sent a forensic image of its working memory to a leading expert on the security of the Macintosh operating system. He found unexpected daemons running on my machine, serving functions he could not ascertain. (A daemon is a background computing process, and most of them are benign, but the satanic flavor of the term seemed fitting here.) Some software exploits burrow in and make themselves very hard to remove, even if you wipe and reinstall the operating system, so I decided to abandon the laptop.
I acquired a heavy safe for my office in New York as well. I will not enumerate every step I took to keep my work secure, but they were many and varied and sometimes befuddled me. The computers we used for the NSA archive were specially locked down. Soltani and I used laptops from which we’d removed the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth hardware, and disconnected the batteries. If a stranger appeared at the door, we merely had to tug on the quick-release power cables to switch off and re-encrypt the machines instantly. We stored the laptops in the vault and kept encryption keys on hardware, itself encrypted, that we took away with us each time we left the room, even for bathroom breaks. We sealed the USB ports. I disconnected and locked up the internet-router switch in my New York office every night. I dabbed epoxy and glitter on the screws along the bottom of all my machines, to help detect tampering in my absence. (The glitter dries in unique, random patterns.) A security expert had told me that detection of compromise was as important as prevention, so I experimented with ultraviolet powder on the dial of my safe in New York. (Photographing dust patterns under a UV flashlight beam turns out to be messy.) I kept my digital notes in multiple encrypted volumes, arranging the files in such a way that I had to type five long passwords just to start work every day.
I know perfectly well that government agencies prefer not to read their secrets on the front page. Sometimes they resent a story enough to investigate. How in the blazes did the reporter find that out? In serious cases maybe the Justice Department steps in. I knew all that—but despite years of reporting on government secrets, I had not often experienced it personally. So, in the summer of 2013, when I came across my own name in the NSA archive Snowden had shared with me, I gawped at the screen and bit back an impulse to swear.
But our government clearly doesn’t see it that way. Here are some facts I’ve learned, through Freedom of Information Act requests and a lawsuit I filed to enforce them, about various government actions that involve me. The Office of the Director of National Intelligence said it had completely withheld 435 documents about me, but its explanation was classified and my lawyers at the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press were not allowed to read it. Homeland Security personnel, I learned from one document, had produced a 76-page report of every international flight I’d taken since 1983. Customs inspectors had secretly searched my checked baggage when I returned from more than one overseas reporting trip. The reasons for and results of those searches were redacted. Hundreds of emails recorded behind-the-scenes reactions and internal debates about how to respond to my questions or stories. The government asked the court to withhold all of those on grounds of deliberative privilege.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

TIL
gawp
/ɡôp/
Learn to pronounce
verbinformal•British
past tense: gawped; past participle: gawped

stare openly in a stupid or rude manner.
"what are you gawping at ?"

Origin
late 17th century: perhaps an alteration of gape.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren »

Okay this shit is making my skin crawl.
So I'm reading Hugh's Atlantic article and I've got my Mail program open. I can see the inbox behind my browser. All of a sudden two years of emails disappear from my inbox. Like *poof* just gone in a wink. Now they seem to be coming back. Down at the bottom, my Mail program is telling me it's Downloading Messages (currently 693 of 4890, but both those number keep getting bigger) and my inbox seems to be repopulating.

AFAICT it's only my general use/give to anyone/spam account that was affected and only on my Mail program, my email server seems unaffected.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

That sounds more like a network hiccup or an error in the email program than anything else.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Eric the .5b wrote:
20 May 2020, 21:18
That sounds more like a network hiccup or an error in the email program than anything else.
I'm sure. It was just the coincidence of it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT