Setec Astronomy

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17296
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Oct 2018, 00:51

Apple and Amazon both have pretty detailed denials of the particulars in the Bloomberg story, and this article is full of hardware bliz-blaz about how it can't be true.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23225
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Mo » 06 Oct 2018, 11:56

The outright and vocal denials makes me think that Bloomberg has it wrong. If it can out Apple and Amazon we’re lying they could get into deep SEC doo doo.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10462
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by JD » 08 Oct 2018, 11:48

Some people have pointed out that Apple's and Amazon's denials are kind of specific, and it's also possible they've been asked to deny things. Other people have said that the specifics of Bloomberg's report may be wrong, but the general idea may be right. (Given the usual quality of reporting on technology, that would not surprise me either.)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14748
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Aresen » 08 Oct 2018, 13:00

Mo wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 11:56
The outright and vocal denials makes me think that Bloomberg has it wrong. If it can out Apple and Amazon we’re lying they could get into deep SEC doo doo.
Deeper than the doo doo the NSA would put them in?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23225
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Mo » 09 Oct 2018, 06:10

Aresen wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 13:00
Mo wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 11:56
The outright and vocal denials makes me think that Bloomberg has it wrong. If it can out Apple and Amazon we’re lying they could get into deep SEC doo doo.
Deeper than the doo doo the NSA would put them in?
Seeing as the denial includes a denial that they were told to be quiet, probably. If the NSA told them to keep quiet, they would issue some, "neither confirm nor deny" message.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10462
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by JD » 09 Oct 2018, 09:56

Mo wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 06:10
Aresen wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 13:00
Mo wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 11:56
The outright and vocal denials makes me think that Bloomberg has it wrong. If it can out Apple and Amazon we’re lying they could get into deep SEC doo doo.
Deeper than the doo doo the NSA would put them in?
Seeing as the denial includes a denial that they were told to be quiet, probably. If the NSA told them to keep quiet, they would issue some, "neither confirm nor deny" message.
Ah, but "we can neither confirm nor deny" is going to freak people out. And the TLAs can most certainly get a court order that forbids the recipient from disclosing the existence of the court order.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23225
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Mo » 09 Oct 2018, 10:32

One of the named sources now casts doubt on it.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10 ... s-veracity
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6817
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Jadagul » 09 Oct 2018, 15:36

JD wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 09:56
Mo wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 06:10
Aresen wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 13:00
Mo wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 11:56
The outright and vocal denials makes me think that Bloomberg has it wrong. If it can out Apple and Amazon we’re lying they could get into deep SEC doo doo.
Deeper than the doo doo the NSA would put them in?
Seeing as the denial includes a denial that they were told to be quiet, probably. If the NSA told them to keep quiet, they would issue some, "neither confirm nor deny" message.
Ah, but "we can neither confirm nor deny" is going to freak people out. And the TLAs can most certainly get a court order that forbids the recipient from disclosing the existence of the court order.
As I understand it, the NSA et al. can't force corporations to make a statement, because that would be compelled speech.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MJGreen and 4 guests