Setec Astronomy

Aresen

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Aresen »

They don't mention that most countries go well beyond the Patriot Act in what they allow their internal spies to look at.

Nor do they mention the fact that governments have already used these powers well beyond the original expressed intent of the legislation.

Otherwise, very good.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I find EU norms of privacy and government surveillance to be very odd. Nobody can take a picture of anything because of privacy concerns but by all means let's install cameras in everyone's butts.
Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:Nobody can take a picture of anything because of privacy concerns...
What do you mean? Like no Japanese tourists?
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

It's haaard to take pictures in Paris without stepping on any of a hundred rules about residential properties, recognizable faces etc. http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/lens/20 ... /?referer=
Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

JasonL wrote:It's haaard to take pictures in Paris without stepping on any of a hundred rules about residential properties, recognizable faces etc. http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/lens/20 ... /?referer=
This is why I enjoy having (the illusion of) a reasonable expectation of privacy versus outright privacy laws, as they are often used to curtail things that would be basic rights in the U.S. like public photographs/domain...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie
Warren

Post by Warren »

Is that ridiculous "right to be forgotten in google searches" still a thing?
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Warren wrote:Is that ridiculous "right to be forgotten in google searches" still a thing?
Speaking as someone who used to regularly post on H&R I certainly hope so!
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote:Is that ridiculous "right to be forgotten in google searches" still a thing?
No. It still happens.

To me.

Every Christmas.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote:
No. It still happens.

To me.

Every Christmas.
File a grievance with the Canadian Commission on Extremely Minor Violations of Stupidly Broad Definitions of Human Rights. I'm pretty sure you can get the offending well-wishers some jail time.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

lunchstealer wrote:
Aresen wrote:
No. It still happens.

To me.

Every Christmas.
File a grievance with the Canadian Commission on Extremely Minor Violations of Stupidly Broad Definitions of Human Rights. I'm pretty sure you can get the offending well-wishers some jail time.
I want compensation. A couple million dollars at least. ($28.95 US)

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The 9th Circuit Court is hearing the appeal of Mohamed Mohamud, who was convicted as a result of evidence gathered using FISA.
Wednesday’s hearing was the first time an appeals court in the U.S. has reviewed a criminal conviction that depended upon data gathered under FISA — the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

Federal Public Defender Lisa Hay said the government violated Mohamud’s Fourth Amendment rights when the NSA gathered and stored emails and online information about her client.

“This case challenges the court to uphold privacy interests in the face of a national surveillance apparatus. It also questions whether a defendant in a terrorism case can get a fair trial in our courts here,” she said.

Hay said the government’s use of undercover informants also violated Mohamud’s constitutional right to a fair trial because the defense never learned their identities.
It's worth noting that Mohamud was on the FBI's JV squad.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
JD

Post by JD »

FBI Director James Comey wants the nation to have an "adult conversation" about device encryption. Let me guess: by "adult conversation", he means "we tell you what we want, and you agree."
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Looks like there may be another leak at the NSA
The contractor arrested in recent weeks is suspected of taking the highly classified “source code” developed by the agency to break into computer systems of adversaries like Russia, China, Iran and North Korea. Two officials said that some of the information the contractor is suspected of taking was dated.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote:Looks like there may be another leak at the NSA
The contractor arrested in recent weeks is suspected of taking the highly classified “source code” developed by the agency to break into computer systems of adversaries like Russia, China, Iran and North Korea. Two officials said that some of the information the contractor is suspected of taking was dated.
Doesn't that create a sense of reassurance that those 'back doors' that the intelligence community demands for ecryption will 'never fall into the wrong hands'.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

More details about the arrest of Harold Thomas Martin III
According to a criminal complaint, Harold Thomas Martin III, 51, was charged with theft of government property and unauthorized removal and retention of classified materials by a government employee or contractor after searches of his home and property revealed hard-copy and digital files containing "highly classified information."
The files allegedly obtained by Martin contained top secret information, the complaint said. Top secret is the highest level of government classification and is defined by the government as material that if disclosed "reasonably could be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to the national security."
Martin was arrested in late August, according to the Justice Department. No explanation was given for why his arrest was not announced until Wednesday. Martin has been detained since his arrest, but has not been formally indicted yet.
Murray Bennett, a neighbor of Martin's, told CNN that Martin's arrest was conducted by heavily armed FBI agents, some of whom had camouflage uniforms, helmets and guns drawn as they ran across his yard.
Martin faces a maximum sentence of one year in prison for the unauthorized removal and retention of classified materials and 10 years in prison for theft of government property, according to the complaint.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

So he was keeping classified material on his home server?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Andrew wrote:So he was keeping classified material on his home server?
Sounds like. As a result he'll probably have the book thrown at him, like all such scofflaws.
JD

Post by JD »

To me, the shocking part about the Yahoo email scanning revelations is not even so much that Yahoo did it as that Yahoo's upper management intentionally kept it secret from their own internal security team. That's doubly rotten security practice.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy »

JD wrote:To me, the shocking part about the Yahoo email scanning revelations is not even so much that Yahoo did it as that Yahoo's upper management intentionally kept it secret from their own internal security team. That's doubly rotten security practice.
Marissa Meyer is a GENIUS! You'll see!
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren
Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

So Ecuador cut off Assange's internet at the behest of the Clinton Administration (might as well get used to typing that): http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016 ... ata-dumps/

Is it time to start being concerned about repercussions for expressing opposing views? The talking point that "voting 3rd part is racist" and the concept of microagressions exists, so how much longer before certain types of speech are considered harmful and therefore subject to criminal penalties? How much longer before progressive thought it the only legally acceptable opinion?

And if anything, Trump has sabotaged any reasonable opposition to such an oppressive progressive progression. In fact, with each new event, I become more convinced Trump is on the payroll and we're witness the euthanasia of the republic...
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I've been reading the past couple months' Assange news with a sort of slack-jawed horror. I think the man is genuinely losing his mind. And I don't mean that as any sort of insult -- anybody who'd spent the last four years as he has would have a few screws shaken loose by now. (Earlier this summer, when I was living under self-imposed house arrest to hide from the brutal Georgia heat, I started getting a little squirrelly after only three or four days without going outside*. And my apartment is MUCH more spacious than his living quarters, and is equipped with all my coolstuff, AND I don't have the additional stress of knowing a couple different major-power governments are after my ass.)

*EDIT: Even then, it wasn't "three or four days without going outside even once," more like "three days of going outside only long enough to throw a bag of garbage in the dumpster." Still, that was far more outside-time than Assange has had.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Mo

Post by Mo »

FWIW, the Ecuadorian government claims they did it on their own. I could see it going both ways to be honest. Their president has already come out against Trump and they likely don't want their grant of asylum being used to sway US elections for self-preservation/diplomatic purposes.

From what I've read, they seem pretty sick of Assange and the embassy staff hate him.
Last edited by Mo on 19 Oct 2016, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

Jennifer wrote:I've been reading the past couple months' Assange news with a sort of slack-jawed horror. I think the man is genuinely losing his mind. And I don't mean that as any sort of insult -- anybody who'd spent the last four years as he has would have a few screws shaken loose by now. (Earlier this summer, when I was living under self-imposed house arrest to hide from the brutal Georgia heat, I started getting a little squirrelly after only three or four days without going outside*. And my apartment is MUCH more spacious than his living quarters, and is equipped with all my coolstuff, AND I don't have the additional stress of knowing a couple different major-power governments are after my ass.)

*EDIT: Even then, it wasn't "three or four days without going outside even once," more like "three days of going outside only long enough to throw a bag of garbage in the dumpster." Still, that was far more outside-time than Assange has had.
So only someone crazed by cabin sickness would publish anti-Clinton leaks? I fail to see the point -- he's not crazy, they really did cut off his internet.

He's certainly over-hyping how significant his recent leaks have been, but he's always been a little off. He's European, after all...
Mo wrote:FWIW, the Ecuadorian government claims they did it on their own. I could see it going both ways to be honest. Their president has already come out against Trump and they likely don't want their grant of asylum being used to sway US elections for self-preservation/diplomatic purposes.
Well, Wikileaks claims that John Kerry met with the Ecuadorian government in late September:

And they're still granting asylum, just not internet. Harmless political maneuvering or a shot over the bow of the dark net?
Last edited by Taktix® on 19 Oct 2016, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

So only someone crazed by cabin sickness would publish anti-Clinton leaks?
Only someone crazy would go out of his way to piss off the people who've been sheltering him for four years now. As for trying to help Donald Trump become the CiC of the most powerful nuclear-armed military on the planet -- that does not prove insanity, but it does blow out of the water any suggestion "I'm doing what I'm doing for solid pro-freedom principles." (And I say this as someone who still thinks it is VERY suspicious, that the US was eager to violate long-standing rules of diplomatic immunity "merely" to interfere with Sweden's attempt to bring an accused rapist to trial.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

Jennifer wrote:
So only someone crazed by cabin sickness would publish anti-Clinton leaks?
Only someone crazy would go out of his way to piss off the people who've been sheltering him for four years now. As for trying to help Donald Trump become the CiC of the most powerful nuclear-armed military on the planet -- that does not prove insanity, but it does blow out of the water any suggestion "I'm doing what I'm doing for solid pro-freedom principles." (And I say this as someone who still thinks it is VERY suspicious, that the US was eager to violate long-standing rules of diplomatic immunity "merely" to interfere with Sweden's attempt to bring an accused rapist to trial.)
Ah, I see. So anything that's anti-Hillary is automatically "trying to help Donald Trump become the CiC".

I see you've received your copy of the DNC talking points...