Setec Astronomy

Hugh Akston

Setec Astronomy

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Jun 2013, 19:57

For discussions of all things related to privacy, government transparency, wiretapping, domestic espionage, and general acronymic skulduggery.

To kick things off: When Obama loses the support of Politico and the NYT, you know things have taken a turn.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2013, 20:47

But he has the support of the National Review.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2013, 21:00

Actually, the Verizon stuff is the least bad revelation this week.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 06 Jun 2013, 21:43

Mo wrote:Actually, the Verizon stuff is the least bad revelation this week.
That program has an awesome '60s-villian name. Like SPECTRE or something else out of Bond film. It's good enough to dust this off:

It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Jun 2013, 22:06

One moderately interesting tweet I saw, and several replies, wondering about the tech companies denying involvement in PRISM. My immediate assumption was just that PR had (intentionally) not been informed. Regardless, it seems the story is well confirmed at this point.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 06 Jun 2013, 22:29

Mo wrote:Actually, the Verizon stuff is the least bad revelation this week.
I saw this headline earlier and I wasn't ready to click on it and then I saw it here and I did and I read it and I'm going to be sick... AAAAAARGH FREEDOM IS DEAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!

Excuse me *pats forehead with folded handkerchief*
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 06 Jun 2013, 22:35

Looks like they found a massive phone call database too: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 3648.story

WhatTheFucksGoingOn?!? Is someone like Anonymous leaking tons of stuff because of the Bradley Manning trial this week or something?

Can I hope the reality of "warrantless wiretapping" is finally hitting home?

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 06 Jun 2013, 22:39

Taktix® wrote:Looks like they found a massive phone call database too: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 3648.story

WhatTheFucksGoingOn?!? Is someone like Anonymous leaking tons of stuff because of the Bradley Manning trial this week or something?

Hm, that is a curious theory. I like it.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 06 Jun 2013, 23:35

You know what I like about all of these political controversies? I get to learn a whole boatload of names I didn't know before. Lois Lerner, Jake Clapper, Eric Schmidt (no, I didn't know nor did I care)...

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jun 2013, 01:41

Honestly, at this point it is hard for me to muster the outrage. I burned out my outrage in 2006-2008, when the wiretapping was publicly revealed and then immunity was granted to collaborators in the telecoms industry. At that point, I pretty much figured that they get anything and everything that we do. And, yeah, they do get everything. I'm not in favor, I'm just so tired and unsurprised that it's hard to get my outrage on.

I know that some of what they're reporting now was not previously reported, and so maybe it's news, but I just kind of made some reasonable assumptions and filled in the blanks.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jun 2013, 01:44

BTW, why is it that every report assumes that this is all being done to track terrorist activity? I imagine they're tracking all sorts of activities besides terrorism. And given how rare terrorists are, and how common all sorts of other interesting activities are (both legal and illegal), I'd imagine that most of what the NSA finds has zilch to do with terrorism.

Oh, and they're presumably reading this forum right now.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Jun 2013, 02:06

IIRC, Tax and then drugs are both targeted more often than terrorism.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jun 2013, 02:08

dbcooper wrote:IIRC, Tax and then drugs are both targeted more often than terrorism.
The way I heard it, they were looking for terrorists and just happened to find Tax Cheats and Drug Dealers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 07 Jun 2013, 02:16

thoreau wrote:Honestly, at this point it is hard for me to muster the outrage. I burned out my outrage in 2006-2008, when the wiretapping was publicly revealed and then immunity was granted to collaborators in the telecoms industry. At that point, I pretty much figured that they get anything and everything that we do. And, yeah, they do get everything. I'm not in favor, I'm just so tired and unsurprised that it's hard to get my outrage on.

I know that some of what they're reporting now was not previously reported, and so maybe it's news, but I just kind of made some reasonable assumptions and filled in the blanks.
I agree completely.

My frustration rests with everyone, family included, who didn't believe me when I said it was going on back in the 00's. Now everyone seems to be finally coming around too late.

My only hope is that because of the timing, with everything else coming out about out intellegence community, that reform on the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001 will finally gain traction...

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Jun 2013, 11:12

Confession: I had to google the thread title. Didna get it.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Jun 2013, 11:39

Taktix® wrote:Looks like they found a massive phone call database too: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 3648.story

If I was Glenn Greenwald, I would invest in a remote start for my car.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jun 2013, 11:53

And a food taster.
--Jake

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Jun 2013, 11:54

And a mail opening service.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Jun 2013, 12:08

I am not exactly shocked that the UK government is part of this program too ...
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Jun 2013, 15:17

thoreau wrote:Honestly, at this point it is hard for me to muster the outrage. I burned out my outrage in 2006-2008, when the wiretapping was publicly revealed and then immunity was granted to collaborators in the telecoms industry. At that point, I pretty much figured that they get anything and everything that we do. And, yeah, they do get everything. I'm not in favor, I'm just so tired and unsurprised that it's hard to get my outrage on.

+1. This article helped, too.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 07 Jun 2013, 15:40

Greenwald does it again.

Serious question: there really isn't anything preventing Glenn Greenwald from being droned, is there? To be clear, I am totally opposed to such a thing, but the logic of the Administration would seem to dictate that there is no legal obstacle to it.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jun 2013, 15:46

Ayn_Randian wrote:Greenwald does it again.

Serious question: there really isn't anything preventing Glenn Greenwald from being droned, is there? To be clear, I am totally opposed to such a thing, but the logic of the Administration would seem to dictate that there is no legal obstacle to it.
He might want to take up residence in a Bolivian embassy. Droning an embassy is (for now) against the rules.
--Jake

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Jun 2013, 15:53

even if he died in an entirely innocuous accident (car, sudden embolism, etc) it would look bad.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Jun 2013, 15:56

Serious question: there really isn't anything preventing Glenn Greenwald from being droned, is there?
AFAICT, only the honesty, goodwill and good faith of the Obama* administration protects Glenn Greewald from being droned.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Jun 2013, 16:34

Aresen wrote:

Serious question: there really isn't anything preventing Glenn Greenwald from being droned, is there?
AFAICT, only the honesty, goodwill and good faith of the Obama* administration protects Glenn Greewald from being droned.
So where should we send flowers?