Setec Astronomy

tr0g

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by tr0g » 28 Feb 2017, 14:12

JD wrote:I don't know how to respond to this other than "Jesus H. Christ." Basically, the border patrol is not only demanding people's passwords, they're provably keeping those passwords, along with other personal information, so they can use them later: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... on/517962/
One of the major oil companies has policies to route around this. Basically, all your work documents are stored on a secure server accessible worldwide through VPN. If you leave the country you either ship a laptop to your host facility, or you borrow one of their laptops while you're there. You don't take laptops through US customs anymore. I don't know what they do about smartphones, but I assume something similar.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Feb 2017, 14:55

Pretty sure I'd be changing my password once I cleared the border patrol, too.

Generally, I've been suspicious of cloud storage as inherently easy to hack and examine, but if you layer on enough encryption, use a VPN, etc., it might end up being the last bastion of privacy.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Feb 2017, 15:20

What the actual fucking fuckety fuck I need to lie down.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Feb 2017, 21:24

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Pretty sure I'd be changing my password once I cleared the border patrol, too.

Generally, I've been suspicious of cloud storage as inherently easy to hack and examine, but if you layer on enough encryption, use a VPN, etc., it might end up being the last bastion of privacy.
Problem is most people repeat password.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 28 Feb 2017, 23:51

That last paragraph is even worse. The DHS secretary wants the social media passwords of anyone passing through the border? What the actual fuck?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 01 Mar 2017, 01:18

Down with Big Brother.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Mar 2017, 01:28

Tuco wrote:Down with Big Brother.
Welcome, Tuco!

If you're interested, I might know a thing or two about Heisenberg...
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 01 Mar 2017, 01:49

Are you certain?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Mar 2017, 02:07

In principle.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Mar 2017, 11:45

So, we're going to have another wikileaks political realignment? (Re:Vault 7)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Mar 2017, 11:51

Not for me, at least. lol
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Mar 2017, 13:51

The Wikileaks Vault 7 hack shows how the NSA's shift from working with American companies to better secure their devices to working against companies, to ensure they are able to spy globally, actually makes Americans far less safe.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JD

Post by JD » 07 Mar 2017, 14:38

Mo wrote:The Wikileaks Vault 7 hack shows how the NSA's shift from working with American companies to better secure their devices to working against companies, to ensure they are able to spy globally, actually makes Americans far less safe.
Agreed. None of the revelations surprise me terribly, but they do serve to make me that much more paranoid. I'm going to start putting tape over webcams, physically disabling microphones, etc.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 07 Mar 2017, 15:59

JD wrote:
Mo wrote:The Wikileaks Vault 7 hack shows how the NSA's shift from working with American companies to better secure their devices to working against companies, to ensure they are able to spy globally, actually makes Americans far less safe.
Agreed. None of the revelations surprise me terribly, but they do serve to make me that much more paranoid. I'm going to start putting tape over webcams, physically disabling microphones, etc.
Luckily, I have a little cubby that's just out of view of the smart TV...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Mar 2017, 16:34

I had to laugh at this:
mrpippy 1 hour ago [-]

Also: OmniGraffle and Sublime Text license keys (registered to "Affinity Computer Technology")

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_25264141.html https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_9535650.html

mo17i 1 hour ago [-]

I tried Sublime Text license key and it worked!

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Mar 2017, 22:37

Kolohe wrote:So, we're going to have another wikileaks political realignment? (Re:Vault 7)
So far Slate and Josh Marshall have continued to call Wikileaks an arm of Russian intel, so not this week at least.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Mar 2017, 08:38

Mo wrote:
Kolohe wrote:So, we're going to have another wikileaks political realignment? (Re:Vault 7)
So far Slate and Josh Marshall have continued to call Wikileaks an arm of Russian intel, so not this week at least.
And on the other side, the podestaghazi pizzagate peeps I've seen on Twitter are cheering this release.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Mar 2017, 12:28

I'm sure the Russians controlled this leak because it is worth giving up a high value asset in CIA for some lulz.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Mar 2017, 16:43

James Comey: There is no such thing as absolute privacy in America
“That’s the bargain. And we made that bargain over two centuries ago to achieve two goals. To achieve the very, very important goal of privacy and to achieve the important goal of security. Widespread default encryption changes that bargain. In my view it shatters the bargain.”
To support his argument that ubiquitous, default encryption is limiting the FBI’s lawful surveillance powers, Director Comey said the agency received 2,800 devices for which it had had lawful authority to access in the final three months of 2016. The FBI was not able to open 1,200 of those devices, about 43 percent, Comey said. The devices were linked to an array of criminal cases as well as counterintelligence and terrorism investigations and could not be accessed using any technique available to the FBI, Comey added. Although, Comey did not explain how the inability to access those devices impacted investigations.

Comey disputed claims that he is advocating for weaker encryption or so called encryption backdoors into our phones. He insisted, contrary to arguments made by prominent computer scientists and much of Silicon Valley, that firms can retain access to a person’s communications while also providing strong encryption.
“Here’s the deal though: it is not the FBI’s job to tell the American people how to live,” Comey said. “I also don’t think it’s the job of tech companies to tell the American people how to live.”
True enough, but only one of those two is empowered to arrest American people for living in ways that they don't approve of.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Mar 2017, 11:50

The Most Transparent Administration in History spent a record $36 million on lawsuits fighting FOIA requests in 2016.
Of the $36.2 million in legal costs fighting such lawsuits last year, the Justice Department accounted for $12 million, the Homeland Security Department for $6.3 million and the Pentagon for $4.8 million. The three departments accounted for more than half the government’s total records requests last year.
For a second consecutive year, the Obama administration set a record for times federal employees told citizens, journalists and others that despite searching, they couldn’t find a single page of files that were requested.

And it set records for outright denial of access to files, refusing to quickly consider requests described as especially newsworthy, and forcing people to pay for records who had asked the government to waive search and copy fees.

The government acknowledged when challenged that it had been wrong to initially refuse to turn over all or parts of records in more than one-third of such cases, the highest rate in at least six years.

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Mar 2017, 19:18

Julian Sanchez retweeted a great thread about how Devin Nunes is being a complete hypocrite on incidental collection, but due to being a dumbass that got in to deep may lead to the best chance at intel collection reform. I have to say, I did not see "Trump administration fucks up so royally by being in bed with a foreign adversary, intel hawks carry water and all are hoisted by their own petard and back intel reform" as an option.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Apr 2017, 12:18

Mo wrote:I have to say, I did not see "Trump administration fucks up so royally by being in bed with a foreign adversary, intel hawks carry water and all are hoisted by their own petard and back intel reform" as an option.

When heightening the contradictions actually works.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Apr 2017, 16:29

The usual suspects have introduced a bill requiring law enforcement to obtain a warrant before searching Americans' phones at the border
Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.) introduced legislation on Tuesday that cites the 2004 Supreme Court case Riley v. California, in which the court ruled that law enforcement needed a warrant to search an electronic device in the case of an individual’s arrest.

The bill, a version of which Reps. Jared Polis (D-Colo.) and Blake Farenthold (R-Texas) introduced in the House, states that the principles of the Supreme Court decision extend to searches of Americans’ digital devices at the border.

The legislation, called the Protecting Data at the Border Act, also states that Americans must be made aware of their rights before they agree to give up passwords, social media account names or other digital account information or to hand over their devices to law enforcement.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 May 2017, 20:22

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 May 2017, 16:41

UK is quite perturbed about the US leaking information about the Manchester bomber
Under the Five Eyes agreement, a huge quantity of signals intelligence is automatically shared among the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the U.K. on the understanding that the secrecy is respected and maintained by all governments.
The Home Secretary has now taken the extraordinary step of directly criticizing the U.S. intelligence apparatus in public.
During a BBC radio interview, Amber Rudd was asked if Britain had been concerned that details—including the method of attack, number of victims, and even name of the attacker—had all been given to the American media by U.S. intelligence officials.
"Yes, quite frankly,” she said. “The British police have been very clear that they want to control the flow of information in order to protect operational integrity, the element of surprise. So, it is irritating when it gets released from other sources.”