Setec Astronomy

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Sandy » 29 May 2017, 22:59

Pretty funny given that FBI notified them about that guy before his attack and they basically said, "meh."
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 May 2017, 23:10

Sandy wrote:Pretty funny given that FBI notified them about that guy before his attack and they basically said, "meh."
I've seen reports that the guy's family also notified the authorities, as did people at his mosque.

This hasn't stopped a certain type of pundit from being all "Clearly the problem is that Muslims are not good citizens."
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 May 2017, 23:21

thoreau wrote:
Sandy wrote:Pretty funny given that FBI notified them about that guy before his attack and they basically said, "meh."
I've seen reports that the guy's family also notified the authorities, as did people at his mosque.

This hasn't stopped a certain type of pundit from being all "Clearly the problem is that Muslims are not good citizens."
The reports that his family and others in the Muslim community tipped off the authorities were in the very first stories that identified the bomber. However, it doesn't fit the "All Muslims are Extremists" narrative, so the fact is ignored or conveniently forgotten.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Jun 2017, 20:02

"Reality Winner"? I can't even.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 06 Jun 2017, 10:49

Related to the Reality Winner story, here's a scary bit of data about how just about every single printer manufacturer has entered into secret agreements with governments to put tracking codes on every single printed page: https://www.eff.org/pages/list-printers ... cking-dots

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Jun 2017, 13:20

A contractor who went full Hiro Protagonist got that level of clearance and access at the NSA. Just sayin', they were asking for it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 06 Jun 2017, 13:24

I can't decide who's the bigger buffoon here. The person who mails pictures of printed docs from her own gmail account? The people that let her have a clearance? The Intercept, for going and burning her spectacularly by showing the docs to the feds? I mean, was anybody involved here in possession of a single clue?

It's a tragedy of errors since she'll go to jail.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 06 Jun 2017, 13:38

Eric the .5b wrote:A contractor who went full Hiro Protagonist got that level of clearance and access at the NSA. Just sayin', they were asking for it.
I can't find the article now, but earlier today I read an article that said that given the size of the US security establishment, the only realistic way to run it is to hire a whole bunch of young consultants, and "Top Secret" clearance means very little these days, since there are over a million people in the US with Top Secret clearance. But as you say, if you hire a ton of young consultants to do your really sensitive security work, you're going to get burned.

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Jun 2017, 13:44

tr0g wrote:I can't decide who's the bigger buffoon here. The person who mails pictures of printed docs from her own gmail account? The people that let her have a clearance? The Intercept, for going and burning her spectacularly by showing the docs to the feds? I mean, was anybody involved here in possession of a single clue?

It's a tragedy of errors since she'll go to jail.
My understanding is that she mailed the physical documents--The Intercept got the creased paper in the mail, with an Augusta, GA postmark.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Jun 2017, 13:47

JD wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:A contractor who went full Hiro Protagonist got that level of clearance and access at the NSA. Just sayin', they were asking for it.
I can't find the article now, but earlier today I read an article that said that given the size of the US security establishment, the only realistic way to run it is to hire a whole bunch of young consultants, and "Top Secret" clearance means very little these days, since there are over a million people in the US with Top Secret clearance. But as you say, if you hire a ton of young consultants to do your really sensitive security work, you're going to get burned.
And not in the fun way of Burn Notice.

I've seen several critiques along those lines since Snowden. A security establishment that was small enough to rely more on a more select cadre that's been cultivated over time would leak less and thus we would know less, but it would also do less (largely in the good way).
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Jun 2017, 13:52

Need a tool for filtering such identification dots out of scans. Especially in scans of text, it wouldn't be hard to ignore any dots that aren't part of letters.

Mind, it is apparently ambiguous whether the id dots were the culprit. The NSA also had logs of who accessed and printed the document, and apparently, that wasn't many people.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2017, 15:39

The Intercept's statement is fucking weak sauce. Yeah, we told the Feds that it had an Augusta, GA postmark, but we have no comment.

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/06/sta ... legations/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 06 Jun 2017, 17:26

seems like dogshit practices on their part. the fuck.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jun 2017, 19:06

This has got to be a big the end of a lot of things for the Intercept, doesn't it? Even Greenwald might struggle for sources after this.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2017, 20:40

Greenwald on Twitter is basically saying don't uncritically believe the government about what they said without denying that it is false. If it's false, fucking say so.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Jun 2017, 08:11

Winner is an idiot. Doesn't she realize calls from the jail are recorded?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/prosecu ... /531327849

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Jun 2017, 08:41

Maybe she's mentally ill?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Jun 2017, 18:53

Mo wrote:Winner is an idiot. Doesn't she realize calls from the jail are recorded?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/prosecu ... /531327849
Where's Stevo when you need him?

I need someone to take this:

and this:

and merge them to make this:

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Aug 2017, 14:12

I hate these sorts of panic stories. We need to distinguish more firmly between "requires physical access" hacks and those that don't. If it requires physical access, well then whoever accessed you home could plant a regular old bug.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Aug 2017, 16:06

Apple is installing a function that will quickly disable Touch ID in a pinch
Apple is adding an easy way to quickly disable Touch ID in iOS 11. A new setting, designed to automate emergency services calls, lets iPhone users tap the power button quickly five times to call 911. This doesn’t automatically dial the emergency services by default, but it brings up the option to and also temporarily disables Touch ID until you enter a passcode. Twitter users discovered the new option in the iOS 11 public beta, and The Verge has verified it works as intended.

Previously, if you wanted to temporarily disable Touch ID you’d need to restart an iPhone, wait for a few days when the device automatically prompts for the passcode, awkwardly use a different finger a few times to force it to lock out, or just disable Touch ID in settings. Apple’s new method is a far more discreet way of locking out a phone, especially if you’re in a situation where you’re worried someone might force you to unlock your phone.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Aug 2017, 19:35

Hugh Akston wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 16:06
Apple is installing a function that will quickly disable Touch ID in a pinch
Apple is adding an easy way to quickly disable Touch ID in iOS 11. A new setting, designed to automate emergency services calls, lets iPhone users tap the power button quickly five times to call 911. This doesn’t automatically dial the emergency services by default, but it brings up the option to and also temporarily disables Touch ID until you enter a passcode. Twitter users discovered the new option in the iOS 11 public beta, and The Verge has verified it works as intended.

Previously, if you wanted to temporarily disable Touch ID you’d need to restart an iPhone, wait for a few days when the device automatically prompts for the passcode, awkwardly use a different finger a few times to force it to lock out, or just disable Touch ID in settings. Apple’s new method is a far more discreet way of locking out a phone, especially if you’re in a situation where you’re worried someone might force you to unlock your phone.
Nice. For a second I thought it was going to be disabling Touch ID so you could just open the phone without print or passcode, but this is good.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Oct 2017, 19:23

So, uh, that wifi exploit.

Holy shit.
Technology companies are starting to respond to a new Wi-Fi exploit affecting all modern Wi-Fi networks using WPA or WPA 2 encryption. The security vulnerabilities allow attackers to read Wi-Fi traffic between devices and wireless access points, and in some cases even modify it to inject malware into websites. Security researchers claim devices running macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux will be affected by the vulnerabilities.
Google has promised a fix for affected devices “in the coming weeks.” Google’s own Pixel devices will be the first [of the android devices] to receive fixes with security patch level of November 6, 2017,

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Oct 2017, 23:36

Yeah, it's a Hell of a thing.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Oct 2017, 23:37

I'm really confused about why MS was able to get a patch out already, and Google is expecting to take most of a month.

I know the bug hit Android harder, but it doesn't at least sound like in a way that should make it that much harder to fix.

(I realize that wpa-supplicant isn't actually a Google code project, but I bet if they wrote a patch and submitted it, people would be happy).

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 17 Oct 2017, 02:07

Jadagul wrote:I'm really confused about why MS was able to get a patch out already, and Google is expecting to take most of a month.
Because it's a flaw in the spec, not the implementation, and MS is historically extremely OK rolling out implementations that don't conform to the spec.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren