Setec Astronomy

Hugh Akston

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Jul 2019, 21:02

Be on the lookout for a Natural Born Killer
One detective from the Facial Identification Section (FIS), responsible for conducting face recognition searches for the NYPD, noted that the suspect looked like the actor Woody Harrelson, known for his performances in Cheers, Natural Born Killers, True Detective, and other television shows and movies. A Google image search for the actor predictably returned high-quality images, which detectives then submitted to the face recognition algorithm in place of the suspect's photo. In the resulting list of possible candidates, the detectives identified someone they believed was a match—not to Harrelson but to the suspect whose photo had produced no possible hits.

This celebrity “match” was sent back to the investigating officers, and someone who was not Woody Harrelson was eventually arrested for petit larceny.
There are no rules when it comes to what images police can submit to face recognition algorithms to generate investigative leads. As a consequence, agencies across the country can—and do—submit all manner of "probe photos," photos of unknown individuals submitted for search against a police or driver license database. These images may be low-quality surveillance camera stills, social media photos with filters, and scanned photo album pictures. Records from police departments show they may also include computer-generated facial features, or composite or artist sketches.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 31 Aug 2019, 20:28

This was in 2003. I imagine the analytics are even better now.

JD

Post by JD » 05 Nov 2019, 11:04

Siri, Alexa, and Google Home can be remotely controlled with lasers, because "the microscopic MEMS components of these microphones unintentionally respond to light as if it were sound" and "while the researchers tested only Siri, Alexa, Google Assistant, Facebook Portal, and a small number of tablets and phones, the researchers believe all devices that use MEMS microphones are susceptible to Light Commands attacks."

So yes, somebody could, for example, command Google Home to unlock your front door from hundreds of feet away.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... s-at-them/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Nov 2019, 11:53

Apropos of nothing except the inspiration for naming the thread, I was listlessly scrolling through the streaming films on demand and decided to get nostalgic with Sneakers. Still a fun little flick, but so very nineties. Forgot that River Phoenix was in it. And James Horner doing the score with Branford Marsalis just peak nineties'd it.

Also the green eyeshadow on President Roslin... man makeup was bad before about 2003. Weird color eyeshadow always freaked me out, though.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR