Roolz of the Rode

Highway

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Highway » 08 Mar 2018, 15:44

Aresen wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 15:26
Driving on the highway this morning, there was very slow traffic in the right lane, so I pulled into the left lane.

Unfortunately, there was a lane hog in the left lane. I was at the tail end of ten cars,

So, I am following along the line in front of me when someone in a white pickup comes up behind me and starts flashing his headlights. The right lane was plugged, there are ten cars in front of me, there is nowhere I can go.

WTF, asshole? You can see over me. You know I can do nothing.

So why do you keep flashing your headlights?

It took great restraint not to brake-check him.
YOU can get out of HIS way, and whether that makes his situation better doesn't make any difference to him. He'll just flash his lights at the people in front of him then. Maybe then he can teach those people a lesson!
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Mar 2018, 15:51

We had a couple inches of snow overnight on Tuesday night. So of course there are the people who are driving to work on Wednesday with their entire back window covered in snow, because they can't take the 30 seconds it takes to push the snow off their car.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Mar 2018, 16:12

Highway wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 15:44
Aresen wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 15:26
Driving on the highway this morning, there was very slow traffic in the right lane, so I pulled into the left lane.

Unfortunately, there was a lane hog in the left lane. I was at the tail end of ten cars,

So, I am following along the line in front of me when someone in a white pickup comes up behind me and starts flashing his headlights. The right lane was plugged, there are ten cars in front of me, there is nowhere I can go.

WTF, asshole? You can see over me. You know I can do nothing.

So why do you keep flashing your headlights?

It took great restraint not to brake-check him.
YOU can get out of HIS way, and whether that makes his situation better doesn't make any difference to him. He'll just flash his lights at the people in front of him then. Maybe then he can teach those people a lesson!
I could not get out of the way. There were vehicles beside me in the right lane (two lanes only.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Mar 2018, 16:33

Highway wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 15:51
We had a couple inches of snow overnight on Tuesday night. So of course there are the people who are driving to work on Wednesday with their entire back window covered in snow, because they can't take the 30 seconds it takes to push the snow off their car.
Classic Maryland.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 08 Mar 2018, 17:54

Highway wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 15:51
You don't need to look behind you to drive, duh.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Apr 2018, 10:27

If these things come to Chicago and motherfuckers start riding them on the sidewalk I'm going to have a meltdown/push someone into traffic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... id-humans/
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Apr 2018, 10:44

nicole wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 10:27
If these things come to Chicago and motherfuckers start riding them on the sidewalk I'm going to have a meltdown/push someone into traffic

Victoria has a large senior population who have motorized wheelchairs. They careen along the downtown sidewalks like kids on skateboards. Throw in the compromised reaction time and co-ordination of seniors and it's a rare visit downtown that I don't have to jump out of the way of one of them. (As a bonus, many of them have an attitude they are entitled to do so because of their age.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Apr 2018, 10:50

Aresen wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 10:44
nicole wrote:

Victoria has a large senior population who have motorized wheelchairs. They careen along the downtown sidewalks like kids on skateboards. Throw in the compromised reaction time and co-ordination of seniors and it's a rare visit downtown that I don't have to jump out of the way of one of them. (As a bonus, many of them have an attitude they are entitled to do so because of their age.)
I have one non-senior guy in my neighborhood who drives a wheelchair like that. But -- he usually does it in a bike lane!

JD

Post by JD » 19 Apr 2018, 11:26

nicole wrote:

People are already absolutely fucking terrible with electric scooters in NYC. They routinely ride them the wrong way on streets, run red lights, ride them on the sidewalk, etc. except of course they're almost as fast as gasoline scooters.

I will concede that the city and state governments have not done anything to help, though. My understanding is that the local position is that any vehicle with a motor must be registered and have a license plate, and you must have an operator's license. However, they won't register electric scooters, so there isn't any way to operate one legally even if you wanted to. But then the city doesn't enforce the rules either, leading to a worst-of-all-worlds situation.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Apr 2018, 11:28

I'm more and more in favor of cycle tracks, and think that other vehicles like this should be in cycle tracks. Like there should be an 8 mph limit on sidewalks, and anyone faster than that should be in the cycle tracks. But I also think that wider sidewalks would help to deal with this kind of thing as well.

Unfortunately it's a chicken-egg circular problem. There's not enough demand for cycle tracks, because not enough people bike or use a scooter, but there's nobody using a bike or scooter because there's nowhere they feel safe riding them because there's not cycle tracks. I have seen surveys that show that people are more confident riding even where there aren't cycle tracks if there are some cycle tracks that they use. But right now, it's a super tough sale to take away car lanes, even almost completely unused ones, to provide more space to other modes. But the buildings ain't moving. If we want to provide bikeways, it's gotta come from something else.

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Apr 2018, 11:56

I find wider sidewalks make it worse because they're what make people think they can ride a bike on the sidewalk at all.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Apr 2018, 12:31

nicole wrote:

The long line to present citizen comment swung between disability and pedestrian-rights activists to scooter fans in hoodies. “I think the scooters run amok are actually a plot of the young people to kill off all us old farts so they can have our rent-controlled apartments,” said Fran Taylor, a San Francisco resident at the hearing.
LOL So many layers to enjoy. I hope they proliferate everywhere, save a 10' radius around nicole :P
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Apr 2018, 12:48

nicole wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 11:56
I find wider sidewalks make it worse because they're what make people think they can ride a bike on the sidewalk at all.
A lot of the time, it's prohibited because the sidewalks aren't wide enough. That is, in places where it is prohibited at all, which is fairly rare outside of city centers. But again, it's because it's relatively rare that it's a problem. If there were more cyclists, there would be more impetus to allocate space for them.

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Apr 2018, 12:20

Christian Britschgi wrote:Miraculously, I did not die. Nor did any pedestrians die. The forces of gentrification were neither spurred nor stalled by my ride. I was simply able to safely and uneventfully navigate to work around the morning crowd of walkers and joggers travelling along Washington D.C.'s Connecticut Ave.
But how many of those joggers and walkers wanted to push you into traffic, hmm

https://reason.com/blog/2018/04/26/bese ... ents-night

Seriously, there's nothing "strange" about pedestrians not wanting motorized vehicles on sidewalks.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 May 2018, 16:16

Why do so many people find the concept of an acceleration lane difficult to understand?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 May 2018, 17:10

Aresen wrote:
29 May 2018, 16:16
Why do so many _people_ find the concept of an acceleration lane difficult to understand?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 May 2018, 17:14

I wore high heels to work, which I almost never do, and drove our small car which has a low steering wheel. Tried to make a turn and headed for the curb instead -- my hand got jammed on my leg because with the added height from my heels, there wasn't enough clearance between my thigh and the steering wheel to turn the wheel all the way. I corrected after a split second, but seriously. This shit is why I can't wait for self-driving cars. I really shouldn't be on the road.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Jun 2018, 11:39

The one season of Canada's Worst Driver I've seen featured a woman who had a very hard time being convinced not to wear high heels while driving. I honestly had no idea it's that dangerous.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Jun 2018, 13:54

Is there any rule against crushing a cyclist who runs a red light on a merging road and blocks me from entering a turn lane immediately after the merging road?

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Jun 2018, 14:16

I definitely always take my right shoe off if I’m wearing heels and about to drive. It’s just super awkward not to.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Jun 2018, 18:51

Aresen wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 13:54
Is there any rule against crushing a cyclist who runs a red light on a merging road and blocks me from entering a turn lane immediately after the merging road?
If I'm allowed to revoke the license of any sonnabitch that blocks the bike lane.
Attachments
20180615_182827.jpg
20180615_182827.jpg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 1669 times
20180615_182045.jpg
20180615_182045.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 1669 times
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Jun 2018, 19:03

Kolohe wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 18:51
Aresen wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 13:54
If I'm allowed to revoke the license of any sonnabitch that blocks the bike lane.
Fair enough. Looks like they have North Florida Virginia plates.

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Jun 2018, 07:19

Andrew wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 08:13
I saw a pickup with a sticker on the upper driver's side of the tailgate that said "If I'm passing you on the right, you're in the wrong lane."
I was passed by a guy on a 55 mph road doing maybe 70 ish with that same message but decaled with separate words and covering most of the back window.

The kerning was all off and everything. Not sure how un-sexed you have to be to put something like that on your car. It's coexist for people who think reading makes you gay.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Jun 2018, 15:23

Okay. So I'm going back and forth a lot between our current/old apartment and the new place, which we're painting and stuff before we move in. It's on my same street and about nine blocks from here. There are a few different ways to drive. There are two two-way arterial roads you can take the whole way, and two one-way neighborhood streets that also run the whole way. The arterial roads have lights at every intersection, and the one-way streets have all-way stop signs at every intersection.

Every single time I have driven back and forth on the one-way streets, someone has blown through a stop sign I'm stopped at.

First of all, how the f do you drive like that and not get hit by someone at some point?

But more importantly and more confusingly, HOW HAVE THEY NOT KILLED A PEDESTRIAN? There are pedestrians in view literally all the time I am doing this drive; there are never not pedestrians around and at least half the time I reach a stop-sign intersection, I have to wait for one to cross.

As a pedestrian myself I have seen many cars blow through these stops, and I get really angry about it, but something that was happening to me once a week as a runner is now happening to me EVERY DAY as a driver, and I'm witnessing it happen to a bunch of other pedestrians as well.

But mostly I just seriously don't get driving like that when YOU MIGHT FUCKING KILL SOMEONE.

And note that all of the one-way streets with the stop-sign intersections have copious "traffic calming" measures. Multiple speed humps on every block.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Jun 2018, 15:38

nicole wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 15:23
Okay. So I'm going back and forth a lot between our current/old apartment and the new place, which we're painting and stuff before we move in. It's on my same street and about nine blocks from here. There are a few different ways to drive. There are two two-way arterial roads you can take the whole way, and two one-way neighborhood streets that also run the whole way. The arterial roads have lights at every intersection, and the one-way streets have all-way stop signs at every intersection.

Every single time I have driven back and forth on the one-way streets, someone has blown through a stop sign I'm stopped at.

First of all, how the f do you drive like that and not get hit by someone at some point?

But more importantly and more confusingly, HOW HAVE THEY NOT KILLED A PEDESTRIAN? There are pedestrians in view literally all the time I am doing this drive; there are never not pedestrians around and at least half the time I reach a stop-sign intersection, I have to wait for one to cross.

As a pedestrian myself I have seen many cars blow through these stops, and I get really angry about it, but something that was happening to me once a week as a runner is now happening to me EVERY DAY as a driver, and I'm witnessing it happen to a bunch of other pedestrians as well.

But mostly I just seriously don't get driving like that when YOU MIGHT FUCKING KILL SOMEONE.

And note that all of the one-way streets with the stop-sign intersections have copious "traffic calming" measures. Multiple speed humps on every block.
I'm guessing the credit belongs to the pedestrians.

I walk a lot. Weather permitting and if I'm not carrying something inconvenient, anything within 3 km is walking distance. I learned a long time ago that the question was not "Is the oncoming driver legally required to stop?" but "Is he/she going to stop?"