Roolz of the Rode

lunchstealer

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Feb 2018, 15:33

It's video of a bunch of idiots driving through a park, mostly on a bike path with some getting to what looks like 25-30mph on what's basically a wide sidewalk where no one would expect to encounter a car, and part of it just on a stretch of grass behind some tennis courts.

and following the line of cars was a big-ass transit bus, the extended kind that bends in the middle.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Feb 2018, 17:23

Why did they stop the video just as shit was getting real with that bus
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Feb 2018, 17:29

Yeah, that's lucky that they didn't cream some family out for a morning ride. A little sunnier, maybe a little warmer, and now we're talking about "Mother injured and 2 children killed during morning bike ride." But hey, it's all good cause some people got to work maybe.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Feb 2018, 18:08

Mo wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 17:23
Why did they stop the video just as shit was getting real with that bus
The FB video (next tweet in thread) shows more of that
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Feb 2018, 18:10

Highway wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 17:29
Yeah, that's lucky that they didn't cream some family out for a morning ride. A little sunnier, maybe a little warmer, and now we're talking about "Mother injured and 2 children killed during morning bike ride." But hey, it's all good cause some people got to work maybe.
It’s very cold today, fortunately. It’s a very well used park and path, even in winter.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 02 Feb 2018, 09:43

Highway wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 17:29
My theory is that it is far safer to be moving on roads than it is to be stopped. All of my car accidents (only 2, and only minor) have been at traffic jams where the speed suddenly went from humming along to "Oh, shit!" Like internet packets, you should always route around blockages if possible. It allows police and paramedics to get to the accident faster, it makes everybody less frustrated, and it reduces your risk of also being in an accident. I have no problem driving on the sidewalk or bike paths or even in the ditch if it keeps traffic moving.

I further contend that rubber neckers are the worst. This summer while waiting for the police officer to sort out my daughter's car accident, there were two more rear-enders because people were rubber necking at us. At least the officer was already there.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Feb 2018, 10:30

I have twice avoided accidents in those situations by braking onto the shoulder, and then watching the person behind me smash into the person I just avoided hitting. And neither case did I make it more than a fender overlapping with the car I missed, so I wasn't like I would have hit them amazingly hard (it would have been significant damage, tho). In neither case would the person behind me have been able to stop without hitting me if I was still in the lane.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Feb 2018, 10:40

Almost got t-boned last night, but at about 5-10 mph. I think someone ran the stop sign in my apartment complex's entry area.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Feb 2018, 11:48

pistoffnick wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 09:43
I further contend that rubber neckers are the worst. This summer while waiting for the police officer to sort out my daughter's car accident, there were two more rear-enders because people were rubber necking at us. At least the officer was already there.
Definitely. I've been told repeatedly by cops I have known not to be a rubber-necker and to keep moving. When I go by an accident, I force myself to watch the cars ahead of me.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Feb 2018, 13:38

There's a left-hand turn near my office that's only green when the crosswalk signal is lit for walk. As one might guess, this causes some strife between cars and pedestrians.

On Friday, some tool in an SUV tried to launch when the light went green, only to encounter a middle-aged black woman in the crosswalk. The stream of verbal abuse she unleashed on him was glorious.

There was also some bro in a Benz a few cars back in the left turn lane with his windows down who made a few comments, but I noticed he carefully kept his voice low enough that she didn't hear him. Real brave.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Feb 2018, 13:42

Like, there's a green arrow that goes into a crosswalk where the walk signal is a 'go'? Or just a turn lane for a normal green? Because the former is ridiculous design.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Feb 2018, 13:47

Kolohe wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 13:42
Like, there's a green arrow that goes into a crosswalk where the walk signal is a 'go'? Or just a turn lane for a normal green? Because the former is ridiculous design.
It's a regular green, not an arrow. It's from a one-way street onto a two-way street, so for the turn lane, there's never opposing traffic when it's green. This makes people interpret green as race day, but when it goes green, the walk signal also turns on. There's only a few seconds of green plus "do not walk."
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Feb 2018, 14:19

They should probably change the signal cycle because of that. (there are one or two places around here like that)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 03 Feb 2018, 14:43

I've noticed lately a few intersections where the walk signal turns a few seconds before the light goes green. Gives the pedestrians a bit of a head start so cars can't just gun it thinking they'll beat the pedestrians to the middle.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Feb 2018, 14:50

LPI (leading pedestrian indicators) are the new hotness. Also good for bicyclists to get a bit of a head start and avoid the conflicts that come at the threshold of an intersection.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Feb 2018, 18:41

dead_elvis wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 14:43
I've noticed lately a few intersections where the walk signal turns a few seconds before the light goes green. Gives the pedestrians a bit of a head start so cars can't just gun it thinking they'll beat the pedestrians to the middle.
And here I thought they were just setting the pedestrians up for the kill.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Feb 2018, 19:56

Aresen wrote:
pistoffnick wrote:
Definitely. I've been told repeatedly by cops I have known not to be a rubber-necker and to keep moving. When I go by an accident, I force myself to watch the cars ahead of me.
I believe Mass actually does something right in this situation where they put curtains up around an accident scene to prevent rubbernecking.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Feb 2018, 20:36

Mo wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 19:56
Aresen wrote:
pistoffnick wrote:
I believe Mass actually does something right in this situation where they put curtains up around an accident scene to prevent rubbernecking.
It also hides the cops "asset forfeiting" the personal possessions of the deceased. :twisted:

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Feb 2018, 07:09

Holy shit guys it's ice drive like that means something. There are ton of accidents in Baltimore metro and surrounding areas this am.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Feb 2018, 08:14

dhex wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 07:09
Holy shit guys it's ice drive like that means something. There are ton of accidents in Baltimore metro and surrounding areas this am.
It seemed like most people were driving with respect for the conditions this morning on my short commute, but there was still the GET OUT OF THE WAY OF MY GIANT F150 PICKUP *BRWWAAAWWWAAAWWWWWWW* asshole.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Feb 2018, 08:27

Highway wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 08:14
dhex wrote:
It seemed like most people were driving with respect for the conditions this morning on my short commute, but there was still the GET OUT OF THE WAY OF MY GIANT F150 PICKUP *BRWWAAAWWWAAAWWWWWWW* asshole.
Victoria doesn't get many snow days or days with icy driving conditions, but when we do, I invariably see the types who think their 4WD gives them immunity from ice. I call it the 'four wheel drift.'

People in large pickups also seem to have this belief.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 05 Feb 2018, 09:10

As a person who drives a large 4WD F150 with a smol penis, THERE IS NO REASON FOR GOING THAT FUCKING SLOW. Kindly get into the slow lane if you are that worried about a little snow or patches of ice.

Also, if we are both in the left turn lane waiting for an opening, and a large enough opening comes along such that we both could have safely made our left turns but you refuse to take it, I think I have a right to call you a fucker and wish you ill.

Beep, beep, motherfucker. I have places to be.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Feb 2018, 09:40

Honestly, it wasn't the top speed that was a problem today. It was the "hey, I'll just run up on this red light at the same speed that I always do, even though if there's some ice I'll just smash into the cars that are already stopped for the light" stupidity. I mean, I personally think that people run up to red lights too fast anyway (there's no need to go as fast as possible to a late braking point to stop for a red light. If you slow down earlier, maybe you don't even need to come to a stop at all), but if there's ice there that's just another good reason to be a little more careful. It's not like you're going to get through the light any faster by waiting stopped longer.

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Feb 2018, 11:19

Highway wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 08:14
dhex wrote:
That's like 40% of the traffic on 97 this am.

Thankfully the only ice I encountered was on foot in the shuttle parking.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Mar 2018, 15:26

Driving on the highway this morning, there was very slow traffic in the right lane, so I pulled into the left lane.

Unfortunately, there was a lane hog in the left lane. I was at the tail end of ten cars,

So, I am following along the line in front of me when someone in a white pickup comes up behind me and starts flashing his headlights. The right lane was plugged, there are ten cars in front of me, there is nowhere I can go.

WTF, asshole? You can see over me. You know I can do nothing.

So why do you keep flashing your headlights?

It took great restraint not to brake-check him.