Roolz of the Rode

Hugh Akston

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Sep 2013, 01:34

Taktix® wrote:Plus, we lost the driver's courtesy of warning others of a speed trap ahead by turning one's lights on during the day...
There's still a difference between headers and highbeams.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Sep 2013, 02:13

D.A. Ridgely wrote:I agree with lunchstealer. The improvement may be small but in some situations it is nonetheless significant. I'm sure Highway has studies concluding that DRLs not only don't improve highway safety, they actually make drivers speed faster through school zones, but in some weather conditions and times of day (i.e., dusk and dawn) they make cars more visible and that's a good thing.
In conditions where they make sense, like "Wipers on, Lights on", they do help. And at dusk they help as well. But as dhex says, 10 AM on a bright sunny day is not one of those times. And Warren is wrong. They do not make vehicles more visible in bright sunlight.
People are idiots. I just barely saw an old truck in time the other night because the driver hadn't turned on his lights. DRLs compensate up to a point for driver stupidity.
DRL's giveth and taketh away. The same dumb driver who is visible to an oncoming vehicle because he had DRL's is now invisible to the cars behind him because he doesn't have any marker lights from the back, because he thought his lights were on because of the DRL.

They're not a slam dunk either way. There are situations where they help, there are situations where they can be a problem. The real problem is GM continually lobbying to make them mandatory (since they already put them on all their cars, no problem for them).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Sep 2013, 02:41

Highway wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:I agree with lunchstealer. The improvement may be small but in some situations it is nonetheless significant. I'm sure Highway has studies concluding that DRLs not only don't improve highway safety, they actually make drivers speed faster through school zones, but in some weather conditions and times of day (i.e., dusk and dawn) they make cars more visible and that's a good thing.
In conditions where they make sense, like "Wipers on, Lights on", they do help. And at dusk they help as well. But as dhex says, 10 AM on a bright sunny day is not one of those times. And Warren is wrong. They do not make vehicles more visible in bright sunlight.
People are idiots. I just barely saw an old truck in time the other night because the driver hadn't turned on his lights. DRLs compensate up to a point for driver stupidity.
DRL's giveth and taketh away. The same dumb driver who is visible to an oncoming vehicle because he had DRL's is now invisible to the cars behind him because he doesn't have any marker lights from the back, because he thought his lights were on because of the DRL.

They're not a slam dunk either way. There are situations where they help, there are situations where they can be a problem. The real problem is GM continually lobbying to make them mandatory (since they already put them on all their cars, no problem for them).
Back in aught-1 I bought a Volvo, and it was actually effort to be ABLE to turn the headlights off. Apparently in the American market they added a little switch next to the lights thingy that you had to turn with a screwdriver to have the 'off' position on the headlights to actually turn them off. Otherwise it just turned off the lights to the instrument panels. Needless to say, I turned that so I had control of my car, and then promptly left them on all the time, because what value is there in their being off. They don't make you LESS visible (although I thought long and hard about whether they might make you less visible in a mirage/backlit situation, then decided they didn't), and they don't draw enough current to have any serious effect on fuel economy, so why not have them on at 10AM, if it means that you don't have to turn them on when it rains or at dusk. So unless there's a reason my car doesn't handle always-on lights very well, I just leave them on.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Sep 2013, 02:49

Highway wrote:

They're cheap and they solve more problems than they cause. If it's dark enough for the truck to have its headlights on, it follows that most of the traffic behind it will have their headlights on and see it, anyway. Of course they don't help in bright sunlight. Whoever suggested that they would? I don't care whether GM is lobbying for their adoption or not except insofar as I hope they succeed.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Sep 2013, 11:33

Taktix® wrote:Plus, we lost the driver's courtesy of warning others of a speed trap ahead by turning one's lights on during the day...
You flash your high beams if you want to do that. Mostly this has gone out of fashion because the practice of setting speed traps has. Although I'm convinced half the towns budget is provided via the 35mph here.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 22 Sep 2013, 11:47

It's helpful to have the headlights on at 10am in the winter, because it's one thing that differentiates my white and black truck from a white and black snowbank.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Sep 2013, 13:29

i personally find them distracting and weird - like something's wrong in the car a la kidnappers or a dude with a hook for a hand - but it would appear that in 'murica i am outvoted.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Sep 2013, 13:49

Since the 90's cars have been automatically turning on/off the headlights. It was actually impossible to turn off the headlights in my Pontiac with the engine running. The three times I wanted to do that really pissed me off.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Sep 2013, 13:52

Did you want to do that so you could creep up on someone unawares? Are we getting crossover from the murder thread?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Sep 2013, 16:41

No, just wanted to go to the drive-in or Lovers' Lane and turn on the heat without being a dick.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 19 Aug 2014, 09:24

It's raining again this morning. When it rained like this last week, it was Blood on the Asphalt II. I don't look forward to today's commute.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Jan 2015, 23:49

While coming home on the highway the other night, I was in the right lane and noticed that there was a car coming up behind me. No worries, the left lane was open and there was virtually no traffic.

The next time I checked my rear-view mirror, I couldn't see the car. I couldn't figure out where he had gone and my impulse was to think I had absent-mindedly missed him passing me.

Then I looked in the rear-view mirror again and noticed the silhouette of a head. The driver was so close to my rear bumper that I could not see his headlights in the mirror. Scared the hell out of me.

Fortunately, he pulled into the left lane and passed me after about ten seconds. I noticed he had the green "N" sticker on the back of his car.

Glad I'm not paying for his insurance.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Jan 2015, 08:00

The green "N" sticker? What is that?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Jan 2015, 09:40

Jennifer wrote:The green "N" sticker? What is that?
For the first six months after a new driver gets his license, they must have a sticker on the back of their car. The sticker is a florescent green about 4" square with a black "N" on it. "N" drivers have restrictions on them (no underage passengers without an experienced driver, etc), but mostly it is a warning to other drivers that the "N" driver is inexperienced.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

marshaul

Post by marshaul » 25 Jan 2015, 12:23

dhex wrote:i personally find them distracting and weird - like something's wrong in the car a la kidnappers or a dude with a hook for a hand - but it would appear that in 'murica i am outvoted.
Blame Canada. They did it first.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 25 Jan 2015, 13:59

Weird, my Prius gives me the "normal" control over my lights that my prior Chevy did.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Mar 2015, 15:03

"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Mar 2015, 16:15

The bigger fail is that one would post a video of their own epic toolness.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Mar 2015, 16:16

As soon as the video started, I was thinking "why have a GoPro to record yourself riding against traffic?"

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Mar 2015, 16:17

Dangerman wrote:As soon as the video started, I was thinking "why have a GoPro to record yourself riding against traffic?"
I thought we already covered the 'epic tool' bit.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Mar 2015, 16:22

The difference is that there's possibly no law that says he has to use the crosswalk. Plus, maybe the guy could have been getting in his car. So we've got one violation of a 'should' and another violation of a 'shall', as in 'you shall not ride your bike the wrong direction."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Mar 2015, 17:16

He's really really lucky the pedestrian wasn't hurt.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Mar 2015, 17:33

Meh. You live in NYC, epic toolness is the water you swim in. You're gonna get run over, mugged, slimed, it's just a matter of time.

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Mar 2015, 20:39

Dangerman wrote:He's really really lucky the pedestrian wasn't hurt.
i'm impressed at how fast he bounced up from that.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Mar 2015, 23:17

dhex wrote:
Dangerman wrote:He's really really lucky the pedestrian wasn't hurt.
i'm impressed at how fast he bounced up from that.
I was more impressed at the pedestrian's cool. I'd have tried to tear the bike rider's liver out with my teeth.