Roolz of the Rode

Highway

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Highway » 18 Mar 2015, 13:36

One thing I would love to see, beside just a straight relaxation of the requirements for parking for development, would be some kind of waiver system for plantings in parking lots. Make it worthwhile to orient parking areas so that there are rows of trees between rows of cars, and orient them east-west (as much as possible). Parking lots have too many spaces. This is pretty much indisputable. More plantings with Shade trees would reduce runoff from impervious area, would reduce temperature of runoff, would lower energy usage (since people parking in the shade don't need to set the A/C as high), and beautify the area.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 18 Mar 2015, 14:05

Highway wrote:Parking lots have too many spaces. This is pretty much indisputable.
As an inside-the-beltway ruiner of 'Murica, I understand all those words, but not in that order.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Mar 2015, 14:18

Sandy wrote:
Highway wrote:Parking lots have too many spaces. This is pretty much indisputable.
As an inside-the-beltway ruiner of 'Murica, I understand all those words, but not in that order.
In the case of big box stores, I'd agree it's indisputable. Not so much anywhere else.
Highway wrote:One thing I would love to see, beside just a straight relaxation of the requirements for parking for development, would be some kind of waiver system for plantings in parking lots. Make it worthwhile to orient parking areas so that there are rows of trees between rows of cars, and orient them east-west (as much as possible).
You're telling me that it's illegal to plant trees in your lot or orient it however you want? WTF is there some pretext for these regs?
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Mar 2015, 14:46

In pretty much any free parking development, there are empty spaces for 99.5% of the time that any businesses are open. These space counts are generally mandated by the municipality. The places it's not, they've probably already gotten a waiver or some other workaround. The point is that parking space counts are set by not the people who use them, but by the town or county or city. What I'd like to see is the ability for those space restrictions to be relaxed or offset by parking trees there instead. And those trees should be in rows in the parking lot, so that they'd shade the pavement / cars parked there. There aren't restrictions on how you can orient things, there's just no incentive besides 'fit all of the parking in'.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Mar 2015, 18:16

For some reason, the local Kroger affiliate (the ludicrously named King Soopers) almost never has the massive over-population of parking. Even if they're in a strip-mall that overall has a lot of parking, anything sort-of-near the grocery store is rarely below 80% utilization, such that you frequently have to go up and down a couple of rows even to find a spot. The local Safeways and 'neighborhood' Walmarts (the quasi-just-grocery-store Walmarts) are almost always over-parking'd, but rarely the King Soopers. Out of six locations that I can think of off the top of my head, only one has excessive parking such that they'd be hard-pressed to run out, and a couple more could overflow off into other parts of the strip-mall. At one of them, there have been times where every single space is full, and you either have to go find some of the relatively distant street parking (the nearby streets are narrow and high-ish-traffic, so the nearest street parking is a couple blocks away) or circle until you find someone loading their car that doesn't already have a car waiting to pounce on the soon-to-open spot.

However, that I even notice this as a weird thing shows that it's almost never true in most areas. Certainly it was very rare for anything but a bar or restaurant to have insufficient parking in most of the DFW metroplex, and almost nowhere in I can think of in the Carolinas, either, except in cases of relatively extreme topographic limitations.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 18 Mar 2015, 21:05

Outside the Beltway: plenty of parking.

Inside: "We're less than 20 blocks from the place, so I'll just take this spot rather than risk it." OK, it's an exaggeration, but a slight one.

The exception being the wonderfully over-provided Potomac Yards shopping center. But you're still going to park 50 yards away or more.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 18 Mar 2015, 21:23

I'm officially a geezer, I think, despite still having only a smattering of grey hairs and being under 35. I was honked at and flipped off by a couple of teenagers today on my way back from lunch because I was doing 30 mph on a street where that was the relevant limit. The teenager then proceeded to chuck her cigarette butt out of the window, because of course. All I could think was "you have terrible fucking parents."
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 18 Mar 2015, 21:43

Timothy wrote:I'm officially a geezer, I think, despite still having only a smattering of grey hairs and being under 35. I was honked at and flipped off by a couple of teenagers today on my way back from lunch because I was doing 30 mph on a street where that was the relevant limit. The teenager then proceeded to chuck her cigarette butt out of the window, because of course. All I could think was "you have terrible fucking parents."
To be fair, by that age, they may have simply come into their terrible selves.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Mar 2015, 22:47

Sandy wrote:
Timothy wrote:I'm officially a geezer, I think, despite still having only a smattering of grey hairs and being under 35. I was honked at and flipped off by a couple of teenagers today on my way back from lunch because I was doing 30 mph on a street where that was the relevant limit. The teenager then proceeded to chuck her cigarette butt out of the window, because of course. All I could think was "you have terrible fucking parents."
To be fairer, they may mature into decent adults.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Mar 2015, 22:49

Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Or they could be decapitated in a drunken wreck. That would be fair too, right?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Mar 2015, 23:16

Hugh Akston wrote:
Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Or they could be decapitated in a drunken wreck. That would be fair too, right?
Doesn't that belong in the tasteless comments thread?

TBS, I keep my geezer cred up by telling off teens I see parking in handicap spots.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jason S.

Post by Jason S. » 19 Mar 2015, 07:08

Warren wrote:AH! :o
I forgot you were there. You startled me.
Heh. Sorry. :)
"I'm sure Jason S. is a fine fellow..." -JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Mar 2015, 08:25

No worries mate. Just er, clear your throat or something first when you're gonna do that. :)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Dec 2015, 21:22

On the signs that display traffic travel/congestion times, Arizona usually has them display "Drive Hammered - Get Nailed" on the weekends. They will do this even when there's a wreck and a major freeway is closed, because it's more important to lecture people about drunk driving than let them know they have a 2-hour wait if they don't detour.

Anyway, the new thing is having them alternate between traffic times and the phrase "Aggressive Driving is the Path to the Dark Side." This isn't limited to weekends, so now I get to read some Arizona DOT nerd's idea of a clever slogan many, many times during my commute.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Jun 2016, 20:57

One of my favorite Phoenix driver tactics is the one where they accelerate to dangerous levels so they nearly rear-end a car that moved in front of them thus making them feel justified in slamming on the brakes and honking.

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Jun 2016, 21:12

Andrew wrote:One of my favorite Phoenix driver tactics is the one where they accelerate to dangerous levels so they nearly rear-end a car that moved in front of them thus making them feel justified in slamming on the brakes and honking.
That sort of driving makes me want to install dash and rearview cams. But I'd be too lazy to upload it to a 'bad drivers of YYJ' Youtube channel on a nightly basis.
Last edited by Aresen on 08 Jun 2016, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jun 2016, 08:51

so a guy backed into the newly repaired cursed car we killed that orphan kid in yesterday, and told my wife "but this audi is supposed to have a backup camera sensor" as if that explained backing into someone's parked car. your eyeballs have a sensor called they're your goddamn eyeballs you fucknut.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Jun 2016, 08:55

Rulez of the road?

This is the best joke twitter account since the T-1000.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 08 Jun 2016, 10:29

dhex wrote:so a guy backed into the newly repaired cursed car we killed that orphan kid in yesterday, and told my wife "but this audi is supposed to have a backup camera sensor" as if that explained backing into someone's parked car. your eyeballs have a sensor called they're your goddamn eyeballs you fucknut.
I knew this would happen when we started adding those cameras. People's driving habits are bad enough already that we don't need them NOT paying attention to yet another important thing.

Full Disclosure: I once backed through my sister's garage door. Unfamiliar car + accidental double tap on the garage door opener + turning to look backwards as I was beginning to move. Whatever...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Jun 2016, 10:51

A lot of the SF bay area's traffic congestion problems could be alleviated if these assholes would stay right when they're going slow. I know that is true everywhere, but it seems particularly bad here.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Jun 2016, 17:09

Taktix® wrote:
dhex wrote:so a guy backed into the newly repaired cursed car we killed that orphan kid in yesterday, and told my wife "but this audi is supposed to have a backup camera sensor" as if that explained backing into someone's parked car. your eyeballs have a sensor called they're your goddamn eyeballs you fucknut.
I knew this would happen when we started adding those cameras. People's driving habits are bad enough already that we don't need them NOT paying attention to yet another important thing.

Full Disclosure: I once backed through my sister's garage door. Unfamiliar car + accidental double tap on the garage door opener + turning to look backwards as I was beginning to move. Whatever...
I did that once, and learned to use the button next to the door rather than waiting til I get in the car. mrs lunch managed to clip the garage door a couple of months ago, but kind of refuses to admit it. I have trouble convincing her that no seriously use the fucking button next to the door into the house because if you wait til you get in the car and use the opener there, you might back out before it's done opening how hard is that to understand.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Jun 2016, 00:42

California's signage for highway exit numbers is quite sparse. Their roadway signage in general could use some work.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Jun 2016, 10:53

the innominate one wrote:California's signage for highway exit numbers is quite sparse. Their roadway signage in general could use some work.
The rest of the US would prefer it if Californians not exit at all.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 08 Dec 2016, 11:41

My new commute on surface streets involves reverse lanes in the center of the road. During morning rush, they are for southbound and southbound-turning-left. During evening rush, they are for northbound and northbound-turning-left. At all other times, they are left turn lanes for both directions. There are signs every eighth of a mile explaining the rules and times/directions.

They make the evening commute quite exciting. There are 4 northbound lanes and 2 southbound lanes, and one of those southbound lanes has to double as a left turn lane. People use the northbound reverse lane as a fast lane, so although the speed limit is 35, people are regularly doing 50-55 in that lane. This is while they are mere feet from southbound traffic that's occasionally trying to turn left across four lanes. And woe to the northbound person making a left when that asshole going 50 comes up behind them (most impressive honking, screeching, and swerving).

I haven't looked up stats, but accident numbers can't be pretty on those streets.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Dec 2016, 11:52

Andrew wrote:My new commute on surface streets involves reverse lanes in the center of the road. During morning rush, they are for southbound and southbound-turning-left. During evening rush, they are for northbound and northbound-turning-left. At all other times, they are left turn lanes for both directions. There are signs every eighth of a mile explaining the rules and times/directions.

They make the evening commute quite exciting. There are 4 northbound lanes and 2 southbound lanes, and one of those southbound lanes has to double as a left turn lane. People use the northbound reverse lane as a fast lane, so although the speed limit is 35, people are regularly doing 50-55 in that lane. This is while they are mere feet from southbound traffic that's occasionally trying to turn left across four lanes. And woe to the northbound person making a left when that asshole going 50 comes up behind them (most impressive honking, screeching, and swerving).

I haven't looked up stats, but accident numbers can't be pretty on those streets.
That seems pretty crazy. Definitely not a good "fast lane" scenario.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman