Roolz of the Rode

Aresen

Roolz of the Rode

Post by Aresen » 02 Jun 2013, 21:04

A thread for discussing driving habits, driving pleasures and driving hates.

This morning, I passed a vehicle and was waiting for it to appear in my rear-view mirror (my standard test for when it is safe to pull back over in front of the vehicle I have passed.) I could see a car coming up fast behind me in the left lane and sped up slightly to get ready to pull back into the right lane.

Before I could do so, however, the approaching vehicle zipped into the gap in front of the vehicle I had just passed and the spot I was about to pull into.

Whatever, asshole. Did you see me wave when we were side by side at the light five klicks down the road?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Jun 2013, 21:23

Just to get it out of the way now, every driver who drives slower than me is an idiot and every driver who drives faster is crazy.

[/Carlin]

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Jun 2013, 08:57

I hate the instinct of people who see a turning signal as some sort of threat to their Rightful Place in the Lane. I've always seen it as "fyi, I'm about to come over" and would generally expect the very very mild tapping of the brakes that would make that exercise safer. I do not view it as pretty please can you give up your spot in the line of life so I can get in front of you and maybe boink your wife.

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Jun 2013, 09:25

We have this intersection near my office. If you turn around, you can see that people come off the exit ramp and are blocked by the mountable median from going into the left turn lane, and at the next intersection up the hill, there's a dedicated signal movement to U-turns for people who couldn't turn left here.

So what do people do? Weave across and sit their ass in the left through lane to turn left. Without the correct signal phase, without heed to anyone who wants to go through the intersection, and when there's a perfectly good intended movement for them. And the most frequent offender? These guys.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jun 2013, 10:02

My pet peeve. This is the exit from the highway near my house. As you can see, there are two exits back to back. The first one allows you to make a right to go south on King Street (a semi-major street) and the other allows you to take a right to go north (which takes you to the regional airport). At the end of the first exit is a stop sign, not a light. So what do people do? They take the first exit and sit there to take a left, backing up the exit all the way through the highway. Grrr!!!
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 03 Jun 2013, 10:09

JasonL wrote:I hate the instinct of people who see a turning signal as some sort of threat to their Rightful Place in the Lane. I've always seen it as "fyi, I'm about to come over" and would generally expect the very very mild tapping of the brakes that would make that exercise safer. I do not view it as pretty please can you give up your spot in the line of life so I can get in front of you and maybe boink your wife.
I have lived in Houston entirely too long now. If I use my turn signal for changing lanes, it's more along the lines of 'I'm getting in your lane, govern yourself accordingly'. If you put on a turn signal on Houston freeways to change lanes, the world takes it as a personal affront.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Jun 2013, 10:14

Mo wrote:My pet peeve. This is the exit from the highway near my house. As you can see, there are two exits back to back. The first one allows you to make a right to go south on King Street (a semi-major street) and the other allows you to take a right to go north (which takes you to the regional airport). At the end of the first exit is a stop sign, not a light. So what do people do? They take the first exit and sit there to take a left, backing up the exit all the way through the highway. Grrr!!!
With the horrid signing there, I honestly don't blame them. Using StreetView as a reference (it may have changed since then, but I'm going to doubt it), there is one sign that says King Street, and it doesn't reference a second exit at all. None. Someone driving along Hutchinson River Parkway won't have any clue that there's a second exit underneath that sight-distance limiting bridge. It's impossible to see, it's unsigned, there's no reference to the airport at all. So if you're trying to go there, and you know you need King Street, you take the exit that says King Street, the *only* exit that says King Street. I would imagine it would take more than 5 trips to figure out 'hey, there's another exit there that's easier.', because that's not what people are looking at when they're stuck trying to turn left after taking the 'wrong' exit.

Bad signage. You should contact the highway departments to push them to try to upgrade it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Jun 2013, 10:23

JasonL wrote:I hate the instinct of people who see a turning signal as some sort of threat to their Rightful Place in the Lane. I've always seen it as "fyi, I'm about to come over" and would generally expect the very very mild tapping of the brakes that would make that exercise safer. I do not view it as pretty please can you give up your spot in the line of life so I can get in front of you and maybe boink your wife.
Hilarious and true. I even sent that on to David as I knew he would appreciate it.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Jun 2013, 11:10

Oh man. So this is the highway exit near my home (there seems to be a bit of a pattern with highway exit issues), or rather the terminus of Lake Shore Drive. Northbound, the Drive bends west and dumps out four lanes: two that go straight west onto Hollywood, and two that turn right onto Sheridan. The two right-hand lanes have a right-turn-only green light for most of the cycle, and traffic backs up more in the left two lanes. Almost inevitably, someone who is either a huge dick or just can't read signs will end up in the second lane from the right trying to go straight. What really, really kills me about this is that even if traffic in the right lanes is moving, these people will just. fucking. sit there. (Backing everyone up behind them.) What do they think is going to happen to them if they make a right turn they don't want to make? Oh noes, they'll have to drive around an entire city block! Much, much better to let dozens of people wait behind you and miss a light. Even better, do it in the middle of a bend in the road when you're hidden by a line of traffic and everyone in the right two lanes is just jetting along until they realize your stupid ass is there.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Jun 2013, 11:17

Highway wrote:With the horrid signing there, I honestly don't blame them. Using StreetView as a reference (it may have changed since then, but I'm going to doubt it), there is one sign that says King Street, and it doesn't reference a second exit at all. None. Someone driving along Hutchinson River Parkway won't have any clue that there's a second exit underneath that sight-distance limiting bridge. It's impossible to see, it's unsigned, there's no reference to the airport at all. So if you're trying to go there, and you know you need King Street, you take the exit that says King Street, the *only* exit that says King Street. I would imagine it would take more than 5 trips to figure out 'hey, there's another exit there that's easier.', because that's not what people are looking at when they're stuck trying to turn left after taking the 'wrong' exit.

Bad signage. You should contact the highway departments to push them to try to upgrade it.
Yeah, I wonder who to contact. It's not an interstate and that bridge is the NY/CT border (useful if you're trying to make a Duke boy style getaway) and at that point it switches from the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Merritt Parkway. The first exit is NY exit 30 and the one after the bridge is CT exit 27. It's a complete shitshow.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 03 Jun 2013, 11:21

Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Jun 2013, 11:27

As I've probably said multiple times, I think the number one rule of the road should be "Drive like you know where you're going." Trying to go somewhere that the lane you're in doesn't go is *not* knowing where you're going. People are just too afraid to go past and turn around. Even if it feels like you're going forever to turn around, in most cases it's like a minute.

In fact, the worst 'oops' I missed my turn, I'm screwed' I can think of is the kind near my house, where if someone misses their exit from I-795S onto Owings Mills Blvd (or worse, get on I-795S when they didn't mean to), they will have to drive 4 miles down to the Beltway, another mile to one of the two next exits, and than that 5 miles back after getting turned around. So a 10-minute loss at best, 15 at worst. But who isn't going to forgive that kind of thing? If it happens, it happens (and it did happen to a friend of mine, he was 15 minutes late coming back from lunch...).

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Jun 2013, 11:40

Mo wrote:
Highway wrote:With the horrid signing there, I honestly don't blame them. Using StreetView as a reference (it may have changed since then, but I'm going to doubt it), there is one sign that says King Street, and it doesn't reference a second exit at all. None. Someone driving along Hutchinson River Parkway won't have any clue that there's a second exit underneath that sight-distance limiting bridge. It's impossible to see, it's unsigned, there's no reference to the airport at all. So if you're trying to go there, and you know you need King Street, you take the exit that says King Street, the *only* exit that says King Street. I would imagine it would take more than 5 trips to figure out 'hey, there's another exit there that's easier.', because that's not what people are looking at when they're stuck trying to turn left after taking the 'wrong' exit.

Yeah, I wonder who to contact. It's not an interstate and that bridge is the NY/CT border (useful if you're trying to make a Duke boy style getaway) and at that point it switches from the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Merritt Parkway. The first exit is NY exit 30 and the one after the bridge is CT exit 27. It's a complete shitshow.
I would start with the NYSDOT, and either send an email through their contact page or call the Highway Maintenance Office at (518)457-6345. Changing or adding a sign would be more of a Highway or Traffic thing, so they might put you off or transfer you, but that would be fine. You could also call the General Information line at (518) 457-6195, and state what you're looking for.

I say NYSDOT because any signs necessary will be in NYS, not in Connecticut, and the crummy existing sign is in NYS. You should also probably contact whatever town or municipality or county that the interchange is in, because they're the ones who will be most sensitive to problems with operations. Basically, you want all the different agencies to work together to fix the problem. In this case, I think signage would be a relatively cheap fix. Not like trying to fix that travesty of an on ramp from SB King. How many people have died there?

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Jun 2013, 11:41

Highway wrote:As I've probably said multiple times, I think the number one rule of the road should be "Drive like you know where you're going." Trying to go somewhere that the lane you're in doesn't go is *not* knowing where you're going. People are just too afraid to go past and turn around. Even if it feels like you're going forever to turn around, in most cases it's like a minute.

In fact, the worst 'oops' I missed my turn, I'm screwed' I can think of is the kind near my house, where if someone misses their exit from I-795S onto Owings Mills Blvd (or worse, get on I-795S when they didn't mean to), they will have to drive 4 miles down to the Beltway, another mile to one of the two next exits, and than that 5 miles back after getting turned around. So a 10-minute loss at best, 15 at worst. But who isn't going to forgive that kind of thing? If it happens, it happens (and it did happen to a friend of mine, he was 15 minutes late coming back from lunch...).
This. I have been places where if you miss your exit you'll have to drive 20 miles before another one, but unless you're in a situation like that, just go past and turn around. (And if you are in a situation like that, chances are there aren't a ton of other cars around.)

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 03 Jun 2013, 12:39

If I am going faster than you on a multi-lane road, when I pass and signal that I'm going to change lanes in front of you, this is not a signal that you need to speed up to block me. I'm going faster than you. I'm not going to cut you off. I'm going to move into your lane once there's room to do so safely. You don't even have to slow down. Just keep doing what you're doing, and let me the fuck by. People who move to block out of sheer malice should be killed. Their houses should be burned to the ground, and the earth salted. Their families may live, but should be sterilized.

Of course, if people would use lane discipline, this would not be an issue.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Jun 2013, 14:18

More broadly, the notion of "cut you off" has been defined down absurdly to "wound up in front of you for any reason over any time frame regardless of any other factors". It should mean "made an aggressive move to get in front in a tight window very suddenly".

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jun 2013, 14:19

Likewise, if you're coming up behind me and I pull over to the outside lane to let you by, do not slow down to match my speed when you get along side me so I have to slow down for the truck in front of me. People that do that should first have their eyelids burned away with acid and their genitals eaten by insects. Then we can burn their houses, salt the earth, and neuter their relations.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Jun 2013, 14:22

I don't even know about that. I personally think 'cutting someone off' is getting in front of them and then immediately decelerating for whatever reason, or making a maneuver that requires the other person to brake or otherwise evade.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 03 Jun 2013, 14:24

Also, if you're driving 10 miles an hour less than the posted speed limit in this town, you DO NOT BELONG on the interstate. Take your slow monkey-ass off the freeway and drive on the frontage road. And you sure as shit don't need to be doing less than the speed limit in the left lane. People got places to be, yo.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Jun 2013, 14:24

Highway wrote:I don't even know about that. I personally think 'cutting someone off' is getting in front of them and then immediately decelerating for whatever reason, or making a maneuver that requires the other person to brake or otherwise evade.
That was the tight window thingy. Yours works too.

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Jun 2013, 14:25

JasonL wrote:
Highway wrote:I don't even know about that. I personally think 'cutting someone off' is getting in front of them and then immediately decelerating for whatever reason, or making a maneuver that requires the other person to brake or otherwise evade.
That was the tight window thingy. Yours works too.
Yeah, I like highway's definition.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Jun 2013, 14:28

I was trying more to get at the idea that sometimes people act stupidly as though they had to evade someone 2 car lengths in front of them, so the criteria "requires to evade" could use some parameters. I think suddeness and a tightness of window of "within one car length" are close. I make no quibble with the highwayan formulation.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Jun 2013, 14:29

No no. At highway speeds, changing lanes with less than two car lengths in front of some one without, signaling and slowly drifting over the line before completing the lane change, is cutting the guy off. He has to react to your maneuver without warning. It's a total dick move.

EDIT
Well I guess it depends on what you mean by "requires to evade". If you swerve into my lane two lengths in front of my car without warning, I'm going to move my foot to the brake, flash my high-beams, and maybe give you a blast on the horn.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Jun 2013, 14:34

The car length parameter within the 1-2 length range is probably established by local norms. Density has a lot to say about that. Sudden move within one length (an accelerating lane change that starts before his bumper clears yours is what I'm calling inside 1 length) is probably always a cut off.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Jun 2013, 14:46

I hate those who cut in front, but people who make multiple lane changes (3 or more) in a short distance to "get ahead" in heavy traffic are a pet peeve of mine.

I keep hoping they will clip the bumper of a ghost car driven by a cop who is resenting a recent encounter with a lawyer.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer