Roolz of the Rode

Highway

Re: Roolz of the Rode

Post by Highway » 19 Oct 2017, 19:44

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 18:07
Kolohe wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 17:36
I just can't believe living in Maryland that you can actually tell if the drivers have gotten worse.
Or if they have gotten worse, that you have lived to tell...
Well, when there's an uptick in *actively* trying to kill other people, it stands out.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Oct 2017, 20:29

I have seen the pattern recently too. Esp 301 and 97
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Oct 2017, 20:50

Today, before I even made it out of the complex and onto the road, two different people cut corners while coming the other way, forcing me to stop or else hit them.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Oct 2017, 08:13

I saw a pickup with a sticker on the upper driver's side of the tailgate that said "If I'm passing you on the right, you're in the wrong lane."
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 22 Oct 2017, 09:33

Grocery parking lot has been incredibly dumb lately. Dude almost hit L-dub and the dog yesterday and then yelled at them about it. You're in a fucking parking lot (with tons of spaces). Chill the fuck out.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Oct 2017, 09:38

nicole wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 09:33
Grocery parking lot has been incredibly dumb lately. Dude almost hit L-dub and the dog yesterday and then yelled at them about it. You're in a fucking parking lot (with tons of spaces). Chill the fuck out.
Chill the fuck out is what people need to do all the time.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 22 Oct 2017, 10:58

Highway wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 09:38
nicole wrote:
YOU SHUT YOUR FUCKING FACE
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Oct 2017, 11:00

Highway wrote:
nicole wrote:
This. Getting somewhere a little later is not going to kill you.

Trying to 'teach the other guy a lesson' might kill you.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Oct 2017, 12:35

Aresen wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 11:00
Highway wrote:
nicole wrote:
This. Getting somewhere a little later is not going to kill you.

Trying to 'teach the other guy a lesson' might kill you.
People also never seem to realize that you don't actually get anywhere 'later' if you chill out. The guy who aggressively changes lanes in a backup generally ends up right next to the person that came on the highway right behind him who just stayed in one lane through the whole backup. The person who went 10 mph faster top speed down 10 miles of urban highway might get off the highway a minute earlier, but more likely will be 15 seconds earlier, and be stopped at the same light at the exit.

And I'd also like people to realize that for most things in life, a couple minutes late due to traffic is not critical. I hate to be late more than most people, but if I'm late because of something I couldn't control, even after making my best effort to be on time, then it's not really something to worry about. Maybe that's some kind of privilege, like not having some asshole boss who thinks that clocking in 10 minutes late one day is the epitome of slackerdom, but that's not the person who's late's fault.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Oct 2017, 13:00

You're point about 'late' is a good one, but there are situations where 'a few seconds late' does compound: I go out to the barn on the Pat Bay Highway (Highway 17) going north from Victoria. This highway leads to the ferry terminal at Departure Bay. Being a few minutes late can mean a two hour delay before the next sailing (or an overnight delay if it is the last sailing at 9:00 PM). If I leave Victoria a half hour before the ferry is due to sail, I invariably see drivers passing me at 30 to 40 kph over the limit (80 kph zone), trying to make the ferry. They are probably already too late, due to there being five traffic lights between them and the ferry terminal and they stop selling tickets for the next sailing 10 minutes before departure.

As a bonus, there is a 50 kph zone for the last half kilometer before the toll booths. The cops love to wait there to catch speeders. Of course, the time taken to get served the citation means that the speeder misses the ferry....

The solution, of course, is to plan to leave earlier, especially as popular sailing times (5:00 PM Thursdays) tend to be sold out an hour before departure.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Oct 2017, 13:31

Aresen wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 13:00
You're point about 'late' is a good one, but there are situations where 'a few seconds late' does compound: I go out to the barn on the Pat Bay Highway (Highway 17) going north from Victoria. This highway leads to the ferry terminal at Departure Bay. Being a few minutes late can mean a two hour delay before the next sailing (or an overnight delay if it is the last sailing at 9:00 PM). If I leave Victoria a half hour before the ferry is due to sail, I invariably see drivers passing me at 30 to 40 kph over the limit (80 kph zone), trying to make the ferry. They are probably already too late, due to there being five traffic lights between them and the ferry terminal and they stop selling tickets for the next sailing 10 minutes before departure.

As a bonus, there is a 50 kph zone for the last half kilometer before the toll booths. The cops love to wait there to catch speeders. Of course, the time taken to get served the citation means that the speeder misses the ferry....

The solution, of course, is to plan to leave earlier, especially as popular sailing times (5:00 PM Thursdays) tend to be sold out an hour before departure.
And honestly, those situations are extraordinarily rare, to the point of vanishingly small. But even as you say, the chance of making up your time if you're late is almost nothing. People think they have a chance, but they really don't.

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Nov 2017, 15:54

Some recent peeves:

Use turn signals BEFORE you use the brakes for the turn! I mean, I know it's hard enough for some people to use turn signals, but a lot of the point is to let people know "Hey, I'm turning at an upcoming road." It doesn't do any good to use the brakes and slow down to 20 MPH at an intersection and THEN put on the turn signal. No! Really? You're going to turn here! I'd never have guessed!

Get your whole damn car in the turn lane! They're even big enough for your Sequoia or your G-Wagen. Don't leave the ass hanging out in the travel lane so now everyone has to stop until you turn.

Also, the center turn lane is NOT an accel lane. It's a decel lane. Can you use it for a short merge lane? Sure, some people do that. It's not for getting halfway out and then waiting for a gap. And it's not for driving along at a few MPH below the speed limit so that the people in the travel lane don't know what the hell you're doing.

And show some awareness that you understand how merges work. If you see someone coming down the on-ramp, and you're in the lane next to them, it's not that hard to figure out where they're going to be relative to you, and try to give them room. And if you're on the on-ramp, look for where the cars are. Don't just "Oh, there's a car next to me, I can't move over" until the end of the merge lane, and then try to cut over.

We're all in this together.

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Nov 2017, 17:45

Highway wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 15:54
Also, the center turn lane is NOT an accel lane. It's a decel lane. Can you use it for a short merge lane? Sure, some people do that. It's not for getting halfway out and then waiting for a gap. And it's not for driving along at a few MPH below the speed limit so that the people in the travel lane don't know what the hell you're doing.
Hard disagree. It is not a decel lane, it's a left hand turn lane. For turning left out of, and into, the main road. You get a gap in traffic coming from your left, get into the center lane and wait for your chance to merge.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Nov 2017, 18:32

Highway wrote:
Use turn signals
found yer problem right here.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Nov 2017, 19:30

Warren wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 17:45
Highway wrote:
Hard disagree. It is not a decel lane, it's a left hand turn lane. For turning left out of, and into, the main road. You get a gap in traffic coming from your left, get into the center lane and wait for your chance to merge.
Yeah, no. It's not.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 20 Nov 2017, 19:57

Seems like the kind of thing that can be resolved by checking state driver's handbooks. I suspect Highway already has some authoritative knowledge in this area.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Nov 2017, 20:45

It's a situation that's up for local interpretation as far as strict legality (multiple places say absolutely no, one I found said "you can pull into it and stop and wait for a gap", some say "100 yards is ok but no farther") but the issue is that it causes a significant hazard to use it as a merge lane. People are turning left at the next entrance, and also in the other direction as well (possibly to go into the same road you just came out of if it continues across the major road). So someone who is speeding up, looking to the right and over their right shoulder, to try and merge with traffic is not likely to see the person in their way. It's better to wait for a gap both ways. It would also be better to turn right, then make a left somewhere, so then you can turn to the right into the direction you'd want to go.

Do people use them that way? Yeah. People will use just about any bit of pavement any which way at some point (mid-block u-turns? Sure!). But that doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Feb 2018, 14:44

TW complete fucking insanity

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Feb 2018, 14:52

Was it the drivers' decision or did the cops route them that way?

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Feb 2018, 14:54

Aresen wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 14:52
Was it the drivers' decision or did the cops route them that way?
I can't say for sure, but I would be shocked if a cop sent them on a route that involved driving on the bike path at all, let alone through unpaved sections of the park.

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Feb 2018, 14:56

There's a through road literally a block from there. Like, you don't even have to go to the other side of the park, there's a road that goes right down the middle of the park, but they didn't take it.

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Feb 2018, 15:11

Usually I wait to get home so I can see a tweet, but on this one I'll say "What? I can't view the tweet."

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Feb 2018, 15:12

Highway wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 15:11
Usually I wait to get home so I can see a tweet, but on this one I'll say "What? I can't view the tweet."
twitter.com /SarahJindra/status/959084468119195649

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Feb 2018, 15:23

nicole wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 15:12
Highway wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 15:11
twitter.com /SarahJindra/status/959084468119195649
Sorry, no, twitter (and all twitter.com traffic) itself is blocked here at work. I'll be home in an hour-ish, so I'll look then, thanks :)

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Feb 2018, 15:30

random dipshits okay but a fucking bendybus?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR