Observations of the Random sort

Shem

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Shem »

Highway wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 12:58
Jadagul wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 12:28
I'm pretty much always in favor of reserved seating for things. Makes my life much easier, and I'm better at planning in advance than most people are so I get better seats.

(This is my least favorite thing about Southwest, for instance.)
I'm exceedingly willing to take the "no reserved seats" for Southwest in exchange for their prices and the system they have. Especially when you can, for an additional fee that is still less than a (worthwhile) airline with reserved seats, get priority check in which allows for sitting together (and I'm in the middle anyway, cause my wife likes window seats). For someone who does not fly much (at most 1 trip a year), I feel that it's a better system that doesn't punish low information users.
A 25-inch shoulder-span in an 18-inch wide seat means it's really better for everyone if I'm not sitting in the middle. On a window, I can push myself against the wall and avoid having to either fold my shoulders forward the whole flight or spill into my neighbor's space. As a consequence, I avoid any airline where I can't guarantee a middle seat won't happen.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

nicole wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 14:24
Interesting. 24 hours before my flight is probably my most stressed out time. At the airport, zero stress.

Although I do get annoyed when airlines don't kick people off who have too-big carryons. I would really like to see that someday. Every businessdouche gets bounced.
Not every one, just a subset, and I think the prime overconsumers of overhead beyond reason are people, often ladyfolk, who did some shopping and have all their one off bags up there - that's certainly the case for vacation travel destinations. The dude move is trying to get the jacket up there but not like in a rolled up way. Yes I hate those people too.

Team definitely punish low information user because the information creates efficiencies.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Regarding fees - all airline behavior all the time forever is one of 3 things:

- don't piss off power users
- minimize empty seats on all flights but especially prime routes
- gas

Discount carriers don't price discriminate enough to care about the first so they throw that out.

Also Southwest hasn't been a discount carrier for a decade or more, if you find lower rates that's region/route specific not a general condition.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

JasonL wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 15:10
nicole wrote:
Interesting. 24 hours before my flight is probably my most stressed out time. At the airport, zero stress.

Although I do get annoyed when airlines don't kick people off who have too-big carryons. I would really like to see that someday. Every businessdouche gets bounced.
Not every one, just a subset, and I think the prime overconsumers of overhead beyond reason are people, often ladyfolk, who did some shopping and have all their one off bags up there - that's certainly the case for vacation travel destinations. The dude move is trying to get the jacket up there but not like in a rolled up way. Yes I hate those people too.

Team definitely punish low information user because the information creates efficiencies.
Oh huh, that last bit is the opposite of my position in a lot of ways.

I don't want to "punish" low information users. I want a rigged system that I can exploit to get better results than everyone else does. If other people become more informed, that's bad, because it's harder for me to stay ahead of them and exploit features they don't know about.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

JasonL wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 15:15
Also Southwest hasn't been a discount carrier for a decade or more, if you find lower rates that's region/route specific not a general condition.
So much this.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

(As a note: I'm not claiming that this is a good thing in general, or that airlines should do it. But anything that disproportionately benefits high-information users is good for me, so I'll gravitate to the airlines that do that.)

(One reason airlines might do this, amplifying one of Jason's point, is if the high-information users like me are also high-value in various ways.)

nicole

Post by nicole »

JasonL wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 15:10
nicole wrote:

Any flight involving people heading to/from vacation is automatically shitty

My problem is not with overconsumption of space but with the fact that I am often forced to check because of liquids
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 15:23
JasonL wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 15:15
So much this.
True, but from where we live to where we typically want to fly, unlike the steeply discounted airlines, Southwest lets you sit inside the plane.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Am I the only one that believes that the carry on box is a lie? Like the dimensions of the box are likely equal to the carry on volume, but the inside dimensions are not.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 18:38
Am I the only one that believes that the carry on box is a lie? Like the dimensions of the box are likely equal to the carry on volume, but the inside dimensions are not.
What are you talking about?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 20:46
Mo wrote:
I think he's talking about a TARDIS.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 16:34
...That was over 36 hours ago. The lotion bottle with the dried gel on the bottom has been in the water bowl since then, and that dried plasticky gel is not melting or softening and STILL refuses to detach itself from the outside of the bottle.

I cannot yet comment on the quality of "Baylis and Harding -- England" lavender-scented luxury toiletries ... but I think they might have developed an excellent waterproof building mortar.
Just checked: the bottle-bottom has been submerged all this while, and there's still no change to the rubbery-plastic quality of the presumed shower gel stuck to it. I honestly do not know how this is possible.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo »

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:
The box that they have at the gate that they put your bag in to check the dimensions.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Mo wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 02:26
Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:
The box that they have at the gate that they put your bag in to check the dimensions.
That's what I figured.

I'd think it would have come up if those weren't the right interior size, because the box is right there for anyone with a tape measure to have a go at. However, there does seem to be a documented problem with slightly over-large bags being marketed as meeting carry-on limits. Some brands give the measurements of the interiors of the bags, some don't include the handles or wheels, etc.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

The box in the US large carriers is a loose standard. One of the things I hate about discount carrier models is they turn it into a strict standard. All we should care about is does it fit nose to tail in an overhead of a plane that has that kind of bin.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I'm more upset that no one _on_ the planes seems to have any understanding of how to load bags into the bins.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 08:16
The box in the US large carriers is a loose standard. One of the things I hate about discount carrier models is they turn it into a strict standard. All we should care about is does it fit nose to tail in an overhead of a plane that has that kind of bin.
Complicated by the fact that bin size is not standard across the different models of planes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I once posted a rambling observation noting that in Europe and Asia, compared to America, the manufacturers of various consumable goods -- foods, spices, toiletries, dried teas, etc. -- seemed far more likely to sell these items in all-metal tins as an everyday thing, rather than sold in cardboard, glass, plastic, paper or metal cans. (The difference between a "can" and a "tin" is, the tin has a reusable lid, hinged or detached, made of the same metal, whereas a can either is opened and never re-closed, or if it does have a lid, it's made of plastic.) In the US, Altoid mints and various throat lozenges are the only commonplace, "non-gift" items I can think of that are routinely sold in tins. And maybe things like teeny-tiny aspirin tins sold in the "travel-size" section of store departments, if they still sell those. ETA: And those Danish butter cookies. Otherwise, the only time I see everyday products sold in reusable tins or metal boxes is when stuff is specially packaged for holiday gift sales in December.)

I can now confirm that companies who sell the same product in different countries will use tins in Europe for "jar" products in America: Jeff and I were at an overstock store yesterday (practicing social distancing, wearing masks, using sanitizer, etc.), and he pointed out some Nivea face creme, which I regularly use (and recently urged him to, when he complained about dry skin). But the Nivea was sold in a form and size I'd never seen before: I usually buy the standard 13.5 ounce jar, thick glass with a plastic screw-top lid, and they also sell tiny purse/travel-sized one-ounce tins. (I have not committed these sizes to memory; I just-now checked the labels.) The overstock store sold tins in an 8.5 ounce size -- the "8.5 oz" sticker was clearly added after the fact and is almost invisible: tiny black letters on transparent tape, on the dark blue lid of the tin; the jar's actual label says "250 ml" -- and when I checked the label and got to the part where, on an American jar, it says the contents were made in Mexico and distributed by a German company in Wilton, CT, I instead saw mentions of "Milano(Italy)," the same German name and "Portuguesa," and since the rest of the label is in a language that looks almost but not quite like Spanish, I'm guessing this tin was originally manufactured and labeled for sale in Portugal. Definitely smaller than the standard American-size jar, but also definitely big enough (and with a "loose," non-screwtop, not-much-friction lid) that it is clearly intended to be kept on a shelf or countertop like my big heavy American glass jar, not kept in a purse, pocket or travel bag like the tiny American one-ounce tin.

I wonder if there's a reason for this -- not just the Nivea difference, but the European/Asian "tin preference" in general?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I fly Frontier. I know I know. I'm a masochist. But it's really really REALLY hard to ignore a 70 dollar ticket. Plus, while I haven't indulged yet, I could see myself heading to places I would never go for 40 bucks.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Watching some software training vids narrated by someone who sounds suspiciously like Baldrick hosting a TV history series, and he's said a couple times "double tap" instead of "double click", and I think I'm going to start saying it that way.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

That reminds me, I've been watching some YouTube videos about DAWs and recording lately, and some of them are created by Brits who pronounce "garage band" as "garridge band", which sounds even weirder to me than just pronouncing "garage" as "garridge" does.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Highway

Post by Highway »

JD wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 13:24
That reminds me, I've been watching some YouTube videos about DAWs and recording lately, and some of them are created by Brits who pronounce "garage band" as "garridge band", which sounds even weirder to me than just pronouncing "garage" as "garridge" does.
I've run into the issue of "nobody is at intermediate level" on DAW / recording youtube videos. There are basic "This is how you set an input, this is how you record audio, this is how you start the program" ones, and there are advanced "This is how you do a reverse reverb with gated drums set ultra wide" ones.

But I need ones that are like "This is how you should troubleshoot your input levels, and this is how you can move segments of your recording around, and these are the effects / processing you should consider on your tracks."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I was trying to remember whether I read something here and stumbled upon an old discussion of Mary Sues. Along that way, I hit a post by Highway mentioning the harem/reverse harem genres. And I was struck that, just a few years later, these, along with litRPG, have made their way from anime/manga/light novel fandom terms to the trashy/free-with-unlimited end of Amazon ebooks.

And they have just absolutely ridiculous and often hilariously terribad covers, as shown, discussed (and actually explained) in this forum thread. (Some probably NSFW, if anyone's actually looking at this at work.)

(Of course, on the low end, it's hard to get good, cheap cover art. Hence something I griped about last year, where a lot of older books with expired cover art have crappy Poser art for their ebook listings.)

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

(Also, man, I'm reminded how often people fail to understand that just because one or two people in a niche market are known to make a lot of money, that that says nothing about how many other producers could be expected to make much money at all.)

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Eric the .5b wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 19:25
And they have just absolutely ridiculous and often hilariously terribad covers, as shown, discussed (and actually explained) in this forum thread. (Some probably NSFW, if anyone's actually looking at this at work.)
That is amazing. Thank you for making my week.