Observations of the Random sort

Mo

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Mo » 22 Oct 2018, 07:35

Also, it's a lot cheaper to carve stone than it was before. No one is impressed with your company's name carved in stone anymore.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Oct 2018, 07:59

Jennifer wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 07:32
Not all of the stone-carved buildings had people's names on them, though; plenty of "First National Banks" and the like.
The point is that they put names in stone not because they thought the business would go on forever. It was because the business was successful enough to have built its own building. It doesn't mean anything near as much now, and is probably even considered a liability.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Oct 2018, 08:52

There was a lot of that in financial firms especially. Branding was all about “financial strength” and “will endure”. The look of a bank was intentionally suggestive of the vault inside. Different time. Walls don’t protect your money now.

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Oct 2018, 09:01

My favorite change in financial firm branding is that one of my friends is asked to look scruffy and a bit disheveled because they need to have a "mad scientists looking quant" to have legitimacy with big investors like pension funds.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Oct 2018, 10:28

Haha yes that's a thing. I'm not saying my firm is a primary driver for that kind of take on portfolio managers but I'm not saying they aren't.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 22 Oct 2018, 13:17

Mo wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 09:01
My favorite change in financial firm branding is that one of my friends is asked to look scruffy and a bit disheveled because they need to have a "mad scientists looking quant" to have legitimacy with big investors like pension funds.
Given that a shit-ton of Wall St. quants come out of the graduate programs at MIT these days, I'm surprised they have to ask.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Oct 2018, 14:20

He did go to MIT undergrad, but he’s better put together when we grill at his cabin upstate then when he’s on a business trip.

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Oct 2018, 19:34

Mo wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 09:01
Man that is the opposite of confidence building.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jake

Post by Jake » 23 Oct 2018, 02:40

Jennifer wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 23:03
*I bet every British tourist who visits Atlanta gets the giggles when they see those giant neon PONCE signs
And then they can come visit Oregon and eat at Wanker's Corner Saloon and Cafe.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Oct 2018, 11:35

Not so common any more, but North Americans staying in British bed and breakfasts used to get a giggle out of the hosts asking "Shall I knock you up in the morning?"
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 23 Oct 2018, 14:31

Some years back I heard the probably apocryphal story of the American salesman who could not figure out why Australians kept giggling when he introduced himself with, "Hi, I'm Randy."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Oct 2018, 14:59

JD wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 14:31
Some years back I heard the probably apocryphal story of the American salesman who could not figure out why Australians kept giggling when he introduced himself with, "Hi, I'm Randy."
Don't know about Australia, but that definitely happened to my brother ('Randall' shortened to 'Randy') in Ireland.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Oct 2018, 15:28

And if you're an American talking to British Commonwealth people, don't even THINK of mentioning your parents had a "shag rug" in the rec room.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Oct 2018, 18:37

South Carolina has its own beach music tradition separate from the California Beach Boys and surf guitar thing, that's a lot more R&B influenced, and the dance one does to said music is 'the shag' and to dance said dance is 'to shag'. There was some confusion when such a song came on at a gathering and a friend asked a British visitor if she wanted to shag.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Oct 2018, 18:44

Never say “I got my pants dirty”

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 23 Oct 2018, 20:04

One of my friends was an avid cyclist. She'd biked out to a gym in the rain, but after she was done and changing back into street clothes it wasn't raining any more, so she left some of her rain gear there.

The staff was very confused when she showed up the next day and asked if they'd found her waterproof pants she'd left behind.

---

The first night my (soon-to-be) girlfriend came home with me, she spent the night but we hadn't taken any clothes off. But I was wearing nice woollen trousers I didn't want to get wrinkled. So I asked her if it was okay if I changed pants so I could hang mine up and they wouldn't get wrinkled.

She told me later that she had a moment of "what kind of crazy person did I just come home with?!" followed by "oh, right, American".

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Oct 2018, 19:26

lunchstealer wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 18:37
South Carolina has its own beach music tradition separate from the California Beach Boys and surf guitar thing, that's a lot more R&B influenced, and the dance one does to said music is 'the shag' and to dance said dance is 'to shag'. There was some confusion when such a song came on at a gathering and a friend asked a British visitor if she wanted to shag.
A friend of mine was at a dance south of the border back in the 70's. He asked a woman to dance with him and her reply was "I'm knocked up, go jazz with my sister".
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Oct 2018, 19:58

The nightmare before Christmas is so well crafted and boring as fuck.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Oct 2018, 19:59

I tried watching it last year for the first time and found it weird and gross. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing or maybe I'm just a wimp.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Oct 2018, 16:30

Ellie wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 19:59
I tried watching it last year for the first time and found it weird and gross.
Umm. Well, yeah.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Oct 2018, 18:03

I had to turn it off at less than 1/3 in, it was so off-putting to me. To each their own, but bleh!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 04 Nov 2018, 22:14

Herself has been watching crafting videos all day on YouTube because she has a couple of things she wants to do and was looking for ideas. I have been reading and goofing with the tr0gling, but it has been inescapable.

So, anyway, some of these crafty types have some pudgy little hands. And one lady had thumbs that were so weirdly jacked up it was viscerally disturbing. Man, I am so over hands right now. I am at the point where hands look surreal and weird, like little fleshy spider things.

Also, some audio production values would be nice.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 05 Nov 2018, 13:33

You should watch AvE because he has normal hands and audio quality is good.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Nov 2018, 00:18

I get annoyed when conservatives think prime age people leave California (LA/SF version at least) because of the taxes. People leave California because of the high rent/property values. Folks that leave CA end up with leads take home after taxes in other places, but more take home after taxes + housing.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Nov 2018, 19:55

Reading remarks by some Blues online, I remain fascinated by how presidential responsibility for things like the economy works.

1) The bubble-burst and recession that started before GWB took office was the Bush recession, of course.
2) The later severe downturn before the Obama election was all Bush's fault, too.
3) Obama was of course responsible for every fleeting moment of upturn until the economy actually recovered, which was of course also to his credit.
4) Obama is also, of course, responsible for the current economic upturn, two years after leaving office. This is apparently because of all the things he did that, according the Blues during his term, he was completely unable to do because of Republicans and the Constitution.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem