Observations of the Random sort

Mo

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by Mo » 18 Oct 2018, 12:48

I prefer DST, I just don't like having to go back to standard time.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Oct 2018, 13:36

Yeah I'm the reverse. I can't wait for the time change, it's stupidly dark in the morning already.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 18 Oct 2018, 16:04

I never remember which way I prefer; I just want the sun down as early as possible.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Oct 2018, 16:08

Mo wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 12:48
I prefer DST, I just don't like having to go back to standard time.
Team Mo.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Oct 2018, 16:13

People be like "experiencing a one time zone trip twice a year is the worst thing in the whole world".

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Oct 2018, 16:22

Which makes literally zero sense because one of those times it literally gives you an extra hour of weekend

What kind of freak doesn't celebrate that
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Oct 2018, 16:58

Lately when Jeff gets home from work a bit before 6:30 in the morning, it's still full dark outside. (Or, if the eastern sky is lightening, it's not visible from my windows.) Thing is, the school bus comes to pick up various kids a few minutes before he gets home. Which has to be TERRIBLE for the kids -- not just the safety issues of waiting outside, in full dark, in a not-very-nice neighborhood, but also, it MUST run polar opposite to how their circadian rhythms work -- they're waking up and starting their day in what's effectively the middle of the night.

After the clocks change, the kids will at least be able to wait for the bus in daylight (though they'll probably still have to wake up in full darkness.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jake

Post by Jake » 18 Oct 2018, 17:30

nicole wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 12:41
Mo wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 11:48
I don't think anyone here is pro DST
I thought I was the only one who was anti DST
I'm fervently anti DST.* And I make too big a deal about it. :)

EDIT: Actually, I'm anti the switch back and forth. Pick one -- either one -- and stick with it. Everything else is a deadweight loss.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2018, 17:48

tr0g wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 12:15
Aresen wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 10:58
Whole council meetings spent on abortion, daylight savings time, and the oxford comma.
At least while we're pedanting out on the oxford comma, we're not passing legislation.

Also, mayo is both a condiment and an ingredient and infinitely superior to Miracle Whip.
That's true 99% of the time...except with bologna. I don't know why, but Miracle Whip is just better on a bologna sandwich.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2018, 18:03

Jennifer wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 16:58
After the clocks change, the kids will at least be able to wait for the bus in daylight (though they'll probably still have to wake up in full darkness.)
Or they could just schedule that shit during the day.

Also, I will filibuster at length about why we should go for a hybrid Swatch .beats/neo-wadokei local solar time system. 6am will be dawn every day, 6pm will be sunset every day. (Or, using the system I suggested, 0d and 0n.)

I will drag in a frickin' 18th century Japanese clock and show it off, yielding my time to a expert I bring in on the subject.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 Oct 2018, 18:33

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 17:48
tr0g wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Whole council meetings spent on abortion, daylight savings time, and the oxford comma.
At least while we're pedanting out on the oxford comma, we're not passing legislation.

Also, mayo is both a condiment and an ingredient and infinitely superior to Miracle Whip.
That's true 99% of the time...except with bologna. I don't know why, but Miracle Whip is just better on a bologna sandwich.
To the camp with you! Go on!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2018, 19:16

Pham Nuwen wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 18:33
Eric the .5b wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Aresen wrote:

To the camp? You're the one trying to get us to Oregon.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 Oct 2018, 20:30

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 19:16
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Aresen wrote:

Camp. Now.

Shut the gate behind you as well. The world can't heal til you and your blasphemies are lost to history.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Oct 2018, 21:41

Just got back from casting early votes (assuming they'll even be counted, thanks to Georgia's utterly insane "all-electronic ballots with no paper trail" system), and I kinda wanna soak in a cleansing vat of Lysol after having cast my first straight-Dem ballot since ... um ... ever. But for all the Democrats' many many MANY flaws, at least they're not the Openly White Supremacist Party, which the contemporary GOP is. And unlike the libertarians, the Dems are the only ones with even a hypothetical chance of beating the Klansmen Without Robes party, so ... ugh.

(Georgia Republicans are especially corrupt; they're not even trying to hide their voter-suppression tactics. The Republican Secretary of State, Brian Kemp, is also the Republican gubernatorial candidate, and also the guy responsible for kicking something like 20 percent of all registered voters off the rolls in the past few years -- by an amazing coincidence, the overwhelming majority of the disenfranchised have "non-white" names. Kemp is also the guy who recently tried closing seven out of nine voting precincts in a majority-black district, backing down only after getting unwanted national-media attention. They're not even pretending to care about lowercase-d democratic principles anymore.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Oct 2018, 22:12

Pham Nuwen wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 20:30
Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 19:16
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Aresen wrote:

Camp. Now.

Shut the gate behind you as well. The world can't heal til you and your blasphemies are lost to history.
Fine, fine, moving to Oregon...

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2018, 05:25

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 18:03
Also, I will filibuster at length about why we should go for a hybrid Swatch .beats/neo-wadokei local solar time system. 6am will be dawn every day, 6pm will be sunset every day. (Or, using the system I suggested, 0d and 0n.)
Jesus Christ, what a shitshow that would be. Longer workdays in the summer, shorter in the winter. Different workdays depending on how far north you are.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Oct 2018, 14:02

Mo wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 05:25
Eric the .5b wrote:
Jesus Christ, what a shitshow that would be. Longer workdays in the summer, shorter in the winter. Different workdays depending on how far north you are.
It's all the headaches of Ramadan, but applied to your entire life!
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Oct 2018, 21:41

Mo wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Yes! We would safely hobble the Canadians and Scandinavians during winters—as well as give opportunities to Southern hemisphere countries during the northern winter. But, as mentioned, like all time zone systems, it falls down near the poles.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Oct 2018, 23:06

Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 21:41
Yes! We would safely hobble the Canadians and Scandinavians during winters—as well as give opportunities to Southern hemisphere countries during the northern winter. But, as mentioned, like all time zone systems, it falls down near the poles.
In the dark, you can't see the Canadians coming....
There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Oct 2018, 01:09

Eric the .5b wrote:
Mo wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Yet another reason to do away with time zones.
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Oct 2018, 04:02

Aresen wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 23:06
Eric the .5b wrote:
This is where latitude is the friend of America.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 21 Oct 2018, 13:17

Eric the .5b wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 04:02
Aresen wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 23:06
Eric the .5b wrote:
This is where latitude is the friend of America.
We have entirely too much latitude in America as is.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Oct 2018, 23:03

The trendy Ponce* City Market in Atlanta is in a three-or four-story giant brick building that used to be a Sears, Roebuck & Co. -- which I know because that's carved in stone above the building's main doors. Back in New England there were a few other old repurposed buildings of that sort, such as (I'm just making this up, since I can't recall specifics) a modern "Webster Bank" branch in an old building with "Anderson Bank and Trust" carved in stone. There were even buildings carved "So and So's general store." So I wonder: when did businesses STOP being confident enough in their long-lastingness to carve their names in stone on their buildings? (Ordinary business buildings, NOT corporate HQ.) What was the last such stone-carved business building erected in America?

*I bet every British tourist who visits Atlanta gets the giggles when they see those giant neon PONCE signs

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Oct 2018, 07:08

"We can't assume / assure we'll be in business forever" is probably the last last reason why a successful business constructing a new building doesn't set the business name in stone. Aesthetics is probably a lot more of a reason, both because stone / brick buildings of that size are relatively rare now, and because you can't make it part of a branding effort the way you can with a sign. It's also not the social signal it was before. All of those guys in the past that put their name on buildings didn't think they'd live forever, either. They put their name on there because they were rich and important enough to put up a building with their name on it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Oct 2018, 07:32

Not all of the stone-carved buildings had people's names on them, though; plenty of "First National Banks" and the like.